Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is 'Roughnecks-The Starship Troopers Chronicles-The Pluto Campaign' worth a purchase?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Is 'Roughnecks-The Starship Troopers Chronicles-The Pluto Campaign' worth a purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-01, 09:53 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard of this series beforing and saw it on pre-order at Amazon with pretty good reviews. Is it worth pre-ordering (since I'm a Sci-Fi/Action/War fan)?
Old 02-14-01, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As long as you don't mind the fact it is animated (really well done though) I would recommend it. Here's some sites to help you decided:

http://www.spe.sony.com/tv/kids/roughnecks/index.htm
http://www.roughneckchronicles.com/home.phtml

Old 02-14-01, 05:50 PM

Looks interesting. I've never seen this. Is this targeted more to kids?
Old 02-14-01, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Collin
and geeks
Old 02-16-01, 01:37 AM
Banned

Roughnecks is a DAMN GOOD show. Unfortunately, the show has been totally wrecked with problems, most of them due to budget problems. Because of money problems, the show has never played in order. Meaning, when it came out the show was aired like this: 1, 2, 3, 18, 28, 15, 8, 4, 24, etc. This made the show INCREDIBLY difficult to follow, if not impossible. In addition, funding ran out and the show stopped before the season even ended. There are still 2 or 3 episodes that have not been completed.

The Pluto Campaign is the first FIVE episodes in the series. Depending on how sales go on this DVD, Sony will choose whether or not to release the rest of the episodes on DVD.

This show really kicks ass. The animation is top notch, the story lines are great, the enemy bugs are freakin awesome. If you liked Starship Troopers (the movie), then this DVD is a no brainer. I pre-ordered this like 2 months ago @ buy.com the moment it was announced.
Old 02-16-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I agree -- I also enjoyed this because it brought in at least a few more elements from the book that the movie missed -- which is too bad.

Ie. the other aliens -- the skinnies, the marauder armored suits -- not quite the same -- but still good, the planetary orbit drop suits -- very cool, not to mention the fact that they're wearing realistic armor and helmets vs. that plastic body crap in the movie.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-17-01, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use to watch this in the mornings (Fox TV?).

Anyway, the animation is all CGI and fluid. It's amazing!
The background music is rock mixed in with some hip-hop and it fits the atmosphere of the cartoon very well.

This is a "must buy" for me.

Is this still scheduled to be released on time?
Old 02-17-01, 10:41 PM

This does kinda sound interesting is it still on T.V???
What network?
Thanks in Advance

[Edited by SGT-RIPCORD on 02-17-01 at 09:00 PM]
Old 02-18-01, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think they're on the air anymore. If they were, they would be on Fox.
Old 02-18-01, 05:26 AM

Actually wan't it a UPN show? Also, Sci-Fi used to show it for awhile.
Old 02-18-01, 06:06 AM

How many total episodes are there in the series?
Old 02-18-01, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by CrazeeDonkee
How many total episodes are there in the series?
I think originally there was supposed to be 40. However because of all the problems mentioned by Shaggy999 I'm not sure how many were ever actually made. Also in order to "buy time" when there weren't any new eps they would splice a couple of old ones up and create a "our story up to now" eps I believe there were 2 or 3 of these.

Personally I'd love it if Sony just put all of them on DVD in a nice box set w/ some features, I'd love to learn how they did some of the things since I get the impression it wasn't all computer generated images. What I mean is I believe they created some actual models which were then digitized and used for the texture maps. I don't think the entire was "drawn" in the computer (but I could be wrong)....
Old 02-19-01, 04:09 AM
Banned

There are 40 episodes, plus 4 "clip shows". However, 4 of the original 40 shows were never completed. Here are all of the shows (they are all in chronological sequence of the way the shows were supposed to have been played):

Pluto Campaign
==============
Freefall
Plastmas Bugs of Navarone
Handle With Care
Basic Training
Deep Trouble

Hydora Campaign
===============
Water, Water Everywhere
Swarm
Seach And Destroy
Missing in Action
Sole Survivor

Tophet Campaign
===============
Betrayal
Stranded
Of Flesh and Steel
Captured
To Face the Truth

Nemerosa Campaign
=================
No Substitute
And Then There Were Two
Marauder
Liquid Dreams
Heart

Asteroid Campaign
=================
Ice-Olation
Mixed Signals1
Hot Ice
The Inside Story
The Ice Men Goeth

Klendathu Campaign
==================
Metamorphosis
D-Day
The Mission
Letters Home
Checkmate

Earth Campaign
==============
Trackers
Among Us
Home Front (NEVER AIRED)
Hide 'N Seek
Requiem
Funeral For A Friend
Spirits of the Departed

Unknown
=======
The Gates of Hell (NEVER AIRED)
Circle of the Damned (NEVER AIRED)
Final Inferno (NEVER AIRED)

Clip Shows
==========
Pluto And Beyond
Propaganda Machine
Marooned
Court-martial of Lt. Razak
Old 02-19-01, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the first one will sell enough to prompt them to make the rest of them. Like I said I'd rather they just do a box set up front, but I guess something is better than nothing
Old 02-20-01, 07:26 PM

Looks like that's what happened. Iposted some of the details over here.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=83132

Originally posted by nemein
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the first one will sell enough to prompt them to make the rest of them. Like I said I'd rather they just do a box set up front, but I guess something is better than nothing
Old 02-21-01, 06:11 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey thanks everybody... Will buy the DVD and see if it's as cool as I think it will be!
Old 02-21-01, 01:57 PM

I watch it but I don't let my kids watch it (age 5 and 7). Lots and lots of big bugs, lots and lots of big bugs attacking from everywhere, lots and lots of big bugs getting killed an splattered everywhere, so maybe when they are a little older. Also the stories are not dumbed down for the kids and some main characters actually get maimed and even die.

Old 02-23-01, 10:34 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Grimm1
I watch it but I don't let my kids watch it (age 5 and 7). Lots and lots of big bugs, lots and lots of big bugs attacking from everywhere, lots and lots of big bugs getting killed an splattered everywhere, so maybe when they are a little older. Also the stories are not dumbed down for the kids and some main characters actually get maimed and even die.

Oh oh... That sounds just good to me!
Old 02-23-01, 09:52 PM

Is there blood?
Old 02-23-01, 11:01 PM

Is there blood?
There's green splatter from the bugs, does that count
Old 02-23-01, 11:47 PM

Is there blood?
There's lots of bug blood.
Old 02-24-01, 03:37 PM

Hello all

Hello everyone, my name is Rodimus and I run the fansite for the show Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, Roughneckchronicles.com.

I am glad to read that you are all interested in buying the DVDs. The DVD should be awesome. They are indeed cutting it to be one complete movie. All the first five Pluto arc episodes will be on the first DVD. I was there when they edited it up and it really is best in the digital format. You should see it in the sound studio on a huge screen.

Like Grimm said our site has alot of info about the show, so if you would like to find out more about this show, please feel free to stop by http://www.roughneckchronicles.com

If you have anymore questions drop me an email @ [email protected] or stop in our Forum and ask there. I am sure someone from the Roughnecks community will be more than willing to help you out with your questions regarding the show.

This DVD and the second Tesca Nemerosa Arc DVD are a direct result of our petition to Sony. The sales of the first DVD prompted them to make the second DVD. The Roughnecks fan communities hope is that sales of all the DVD's will be so good that they will wise up and make the last three episodes that they never produced. It would only make sense, but like Grimm said all major corporations know is the color of green.

Thanks.

Rodimus
Old 02-24-01, 06:38 PM

Is there human blood? :-)

Does the "Tesca Nemerosa Arc DVD" take place in the timeline right after the first DVD?

Old 02-24-01, 07:38 PM

No...after all it was supposed to be for kids. I think that is why it didn't do very well. When I first saw it I thought it was a show for me not for kids. I don't think Sony knew how to market it.

Is there human blood? :-)

Does the "Tesca Nemerosa Arc DVD" take place in the timeline right after the first DVD?

Old 02-25-01, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

NO!!! I just thought of this: ROUGHNECKS is for children, who are being taught and socialized to know how to exterminate what is different, and dangerous. In addition, the violence against bugs is glorified, and the bugs are being pictured as evil just as the news reels in Starship Troopers. Moreover, YOUR children are being taught that it is ok to invade. Is this future propaganda? Well, we do not know now, but when your childrens children find some strange inhabitants of a different galaxy, and they greet us in peace. What if we go to war with them to take their land away from them for our own profit, and they protect themselves by exterminate us. What then? What about humanity? Should we tale any social responsibility for what we creat for profit and display for our children? Maybe it does not affect or effect our children, but what about our grandchildren? (Not that I want to cause any paranoia, but this is a vaild question.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.