Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Gummo/Julien Donkey Boy

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-01, 12:52 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look through all the extras, but the transfers here are pretty good. Gummo looks fantastic and Julien...well, this is as good as you can expect. I am glad New Line put some effort into these, as they look good indeed. If you have any questions about extras, let me know.
Old 02-10-01, 01:07 PM

Well, they arent due to be released until March 20th? Where are you and how did you get them?
Old 02-10-01, 01:10 PM
Cool New Member

These are advance copies from New Line, but they have all of the special features, etc.
Old 02-10-01, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by R.P. McMurphy
If you have any questions about extras, let me know.
Yes, what are the extras?
Old 02-10-01, 05:11 PM
Cool New Member

The disc for Gummo has some cast bios and then a reel of stills, which Korine talks over through an interview. Korine is his usual self, which means nonsense and overimportant self promotion.

The disc for Julien has more stuff, with the trailer, two deleted scenes, and a fifteen minute featurette. The featurette has interviews and clips from the film, pretty much the usual promotional piece. Korine speaks a lot, but nothing he hasn't said in interviews before.
Old 02-11-01, 12:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just watched Gummo on IFC, and I want some sort of payment for the time I just wasted on it. What was the point of this movie? It was aimless and often idiotic. It had an ugly kid making out with a fat hooker, and it had so much cat torture that I was ready to personally attack Harmony Korine. What is that guy's deal, anyway? First Kids, then Gummo. There's something wrong with him. I've heard that Julien Donkey-Boy is better than either, although that's like saying you're the tallest of Snow White's friends. Would anyone please tell me what they found to be a good quality of Gummo? Because I could not find one.
Old 02-11-01, 01:26 AM
Cool New Member

I didn't like Julien as much, perhaps due to the home video quality of the image, thanks to the Dogme regime. The work of Ewen Bremner and Werner Herzog is excellent though, which makes it a little more watchable.

As far as Gummo, I find it to be totally hilarious and a terrific flick to spin at parties or get togethers, to spark conversation. I laugh almost from stop to finish here, I can't recommend it enough to fans of non linear cinema.
Old 02-11-01, 01:58 PM

i think Korine did a fantasic job of combining surreal storytelling, improv, and almost-documentary scenes. Most people were turned off by the film not really having a blatant narrative and subject like Kids, but Gummo is far from pointless, you just have to be open to the style. Its pretty much a loose collection of bits about the strangness of youth and the bizarre world around them. Korine went back to the places he grew up, white trash areas, and filmed actual things, imagined things, and written rememberances to make a film about aimless kids in a devastated town.

i look forward to julien, but i'm saddened that it doesnt have more bonus material. Korine's first cut of julien was 6hrs long. i was hoping to see more than two deleted scenes.

Now, if he'd only finish or release what he filmed of Fight.
Old 02-11-01, 03:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have a problem with nonlinear cinema, but Gummo seemed not only to be nonlinear, but noninteresting. I also found it infuriatingly close to brilliance at times, but found it fell short of its mark too many times. The few really great scenes (that guy hitting on the midget on the couch and the scene where the mom tap dances) were so great that I knew that Korine could have made a great film all the way through, but it really didn't work. I'm still going to see Julien Donkey-Boy, I've heard that it's better.
Old 02-12-01, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Suprmallet
that guy hitting on the midget on the couch
That guy was actually Korine. I love how he pours the beer on himself out of nowhere.

Anyways, I've watched this about 5 or 6 times now with my girlfriend. She loves it and I absolutely hated it the first time I saw it. Now each time I see it, it grows on me more and more each time. I say give it another chance and it might grow on you. I will be picking up the DVD of this.