DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Nosferatu - silent

Old 01-25-01, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there really a big difference in the picture from the old dvd?

It's one of my favorites, but since I'm not really a big audio/video geek about video quality as some people (no offense to anyone, you know what I mean)I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, there is a big improvement in video quality with the new edition.

Is it worth upgrading? Well, I think so, but only you can decide how important the video quality is to you...
Old 01-25-01, 01:46 PM
Cool New Member

Just avoid Elite's MASTERWORKS OF GERMAN HORROR CINEMA. Aside from The Golem, it's a dead loss. Very rough quality compared to Image.

Old 01-25-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sanjuro68:
Just avoid Elite's MASTERWORKS OF GERMAN HORROR CINEMA. Aside from The Golem, it's a dead loss. Very rough quality compared to Image.
<HR>

I definitely agree. One of my most disappointing DVD purchases (and quickly traded away). Even The Golem was a huge disappointment -- not tinted and without any score at all. Makes it virtually unwatchable. I'm still hoping that David Shepard and/or Image Entertainment put out there own edition of The Golem. Until then, I'll just live without it...
Old 01-25-01, 06:49 PM
Cool New Member

If you're interested in Nosferatu, I would also suggest the Image disc of VAMPYR. It comes with Ladislaw Satrewicz's best short, The Mascot.
Old 01-26-01, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re VAMPYR, it is a great film (by Carl Dreyer, my favorite filmmaker), but the Image transfer and subtitles leave quite a lot to be desired. Moreover, if you check out the most recent Criterion chat held over at the Home Theater Forum (I'm quite sure that file is still around), you'll read that Criterion plans to release VAMPYR one of these days, along with several other Dreyer films. It could be another year or so - or longer, I s'pose - before we see them, but I'm hoping it will be worth the wait.

Along similar lines, I would have already replaced my old disc of NOSFERATU if not for one thing: in Mark Zimmer's interview of David Shephard (Nosferatu restorer), which can be found here, is the following exchange:

quote:<HR>dOc: Kevin Brownlow has done a lot of restorations; do you know whether any of those are going to be coming along on DVD?

Shepard: Yes, Milestone has just signed for a group of them, and they'll be bringing them out. Including some unusual ones, The Blot,The Chess Player, It, La Terre, and what would life be without another Nosferatu and another Phantom of the Opera? Kevin's work is first-rate, absolutely first-rate. When I did The Black Pirate, which probably cost more to prepare than any other single film I've done for video, it was very favorably reviewed with a whole page in Time magazine, and Kevin, who has been a friend for over 30 years, called up and congratulated me. I thanked him and said, "Yes, it's the most expensive thing I ever did." He asked how much I spent, so I told him. There was a long pause and he said, "We spend that per reel."

They've been very, very fortunate to have Channel Four sponsorship. Everything I've done has had to pay its way. I've just never had the privilege of those kinds of budgets. But even if they were spending little money, I'm sure their work would be beautiful. They're very caring and very meticulous people. But I can't afford Carl Davis and fifty-five, hundred piece orchestras. They did Nosferatu with, I think, a hundred piece orchestra.
<HR>

I read that as indicating that another NOSFERATU will be coming to DVD under the Milestone banner, restored by someone who David Shephard admires, respects, and admits has many more resources than he. It also kinda sounds like a new orchestral score is in the works - and I've heard some very poor reviews of the new score on the latest Nosferatu disc (everyone seems to much prefer the organ score).

Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Richard Malloy (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 01-26-01, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Richard Malloy:
Any thoughts?
<HR>

Personally, even if a new Nosferatu comes out down the road with a better picture or better score, I'd still keep the Image DVD for the supplements (commentary, tour of sites in Germany, etc.)

That being said, sometimes these restorations that are mentioned take *years* to show up (and sometimes don't show up at all). I'd feel pretty comfortable buying the new Image DVD right now.

Plus, I really can't imagine the film looking much better (although I may live to eat these words when/if a new version comes out)
Old 01-26-01, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent point, but as I understand it, there are no new special features on this release that weren't on the original release. Right?

(Still... I think I'll go ahead and purchase it. And if I ultimately end up with 3 versions of this movie, well... so be it.)
Old 01-26-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Richard Malloy:
as I understand it, there are no new special features on this release that weren't on the original release. Right?
<HR>

Was the 10-minute German tour on the original DVD? I don't think it was...

Edited to add: And as far as eventually having 3 versions... I personally can't think of any reason to keep the older Image release. So you could at least get that number down to 2!

[This message has been edited by bboisvert (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 01-26-01, 09:18 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bboisvert:
Personally, even if a new Nosferatu comes out down the road with a better picture or better score, I'd still keep the Image DVD for the supplements (commentary, tour of sites in Germany, etc.)
<HR>

I tend to agree with that.

quote:<HR>Plus, I really can't imagine the film looking much better<HR>

Oh, but it DOES! Trust us.

Old 02-02-01, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another review of the disc... if needed:

http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/bmnosferatu.html

------------------
Chuck Dowling
The Jacksonville Film Journal - http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/