Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review or Comment wanted! The Perfect Storm

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review or Comment wanted! The Perfect Storm

Old 01-20-01, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this title worth every penny? The story, sounds, picture, extras and value? Thanks!
Old 01-20-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a thread awhile back on this movie.....people were ripping on the movie for it's lack of realism(I believe they were trying to compare it to a book)....

Buy the movie.....not only is it a nice dvd with extras.....but the movie itself is fun to watch!!! Hollywood entertainment at it's best....if you want the true story, buy the book....do not look for it here as the movie is based on many what ifs......

There are a couple of commentaries on this disc...one is by Wolfgang Petersen.....another is by the gentleman who wrote a factual account regarding this whole situation!!! The disc also contains a featurette which is very interesting to watch...

Why people looked to this movie and complained about realism is beyond me....Hollywood does not equal realism...they are looking to entertain the audience with an exciting storyline...not bore us to death!!!

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-20-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OOPS...forgot to mention my thoughts on the video and audio!!!!

Very nice!!!

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-20-01, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the movie was boring and dull. The video transfer seemed pretty good, but the sound transfer was lacking. The different levels weren't balanced well, and I kept losing dialogue as waves crashed about. I didn't listen to the commentary because I didn't care enough about the movie, and as I recall, the rest of the extras were about typical: making of, interview, cast and crew, trailer, etc.

If I were you, I would rent the DVD first and watch the movie; then if you like it, lay down the dough to buy it.
Old 01-20-01, 09:14 PM

i dont know about you guys but i enjoyed the movie.
Old 01-20-01, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVD is very nice with good extras, but I found the movie boring. I heard so many raves, I bought it sight unseen, but wish I'd rented it first now.

------------------
DVD Profiler List

[This message has been edited by Calistoga (edited January 20, 2001).]
Old 01-20-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed this movie a lot more than the other blockbusters of the year, in particular MI:2 and Gladiator. Very entertaining IMO.
Old 01-20-01, 10:45 PM

If you cut out the first hour and a half the movie is great. The acting and dialog were terrible. I thought the actual storm was pretty good. A good demo for your home theater. Similar to Twister.
Old 01-21-01, 02:21 PM

I had heard mixed things about this movie, but in general the consensus I got was that the movie was mediocre at best. So, maybe I went into the movie with low expectations, but I loved it. I appreciate a director who can take his time establishing characters rather than just rushing into the special effects. I thought the acting was fine, the characters were interesting, the sound and picture quality were great, and the special effects were pretty good.

As for the comment about not being able to hear all the dialogue over the waves... Um, isn't that sort of the point? Storms are loud. If you're determined to catch every word, turn on the subtitles.
Old 01-23-01, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought this movie was good.
There was enough character development for you to get an understanding of where each of the fishermen were coming from (except for the Black guy).
Intensity, great sound effects, and emotional factors are what I enjoyed the most from this movie.
The extras (commentaries) on the DVD are good too, if you're into that stuff.

------------------
"You had me at hello.....tear." --Dr. Evil
Old 01-23-01, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought movie was decent. Not the best or the worst, but good enough that I don't regret buying it. Besides, it's loaded with extras and I picked it up for only $14.99 in GC credit.

------------------
The BOB VILA of the Other Forum
"I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner."
Old 01-23-01, 03:08 PM

Chalk up another negative vote for this movie. Within the first 5 minutes of the film I knew it was going downhill. This movie tried so hard to make you feel sympathy for each character that it came across too fake. And could they not turn down the score at any point in the movie? This movie was too cheesey. But the CGI was nice. Too bad it could not save this one.

------------------
"On a traffic light green means go and yellow means yield, but on a banana it means just the opposite. Green means hold on. Yellow means go ahead. And red means where the f*ck did you get that banana?"

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-23-01, 04:26 PM

Horridly predictable movie, good video transfer, decent audio transfer but voices seem buried in much of the mix. Nice extras, making of far more interesting than the movie itself. I cannot rag on this movie enough, I want my time back!!! It's jammed with cliched dialog like

Wahlberg "She's a great boat!"

Clooney "With a great crew!!!"

Wahlberg "With a great skipper!!!!"

All said with glazed eyes and beaming smiles, made me want to projectile vomit. There are too many great DVDs out there to waste your time and $$$ on this one, do yourself a favor and rent it first.

------------------
Jerry Bruckheimer should be bludgeoned to death with the bleached bones of Wolfgang Peterson while Tom Cruise digs the hole to bury all three of them.
Old 01-23-01, 05:07 PM

Not a very good movie. It was not the blue collar "Titanic" that many had hoped. The special effects (big waves) were not that impressive. The movie could have been a classic, but it failed due to length, poor forced effects, and poor dialogue. Such a shame.
Old 01-23-01, 05:32 PM

I believe Bob_B summed it up best. I forgot about those stellar lines. I think the problem with Perfect Storm (at least for me) is that I expected another good performance such as Three Kings. Now that was a good movie.

------------------
"On a traffic light green means go and yellow means yield, but on a banana it means just the opposite. Green means hold on. Yellow means go ahead. And red means where the f*ck did you get that banana?"

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-23-01, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know if you care for Roger Ebert or not, but he gave it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

Here is a quote from his review...

"We know intellectually that we're viewing special effects. Tanks and wind machines are involved, and computer graphics and models. This is not important. The impetus of the story drives us forward, and by the end of the film I was wrung out. It's possible to criticize the sketchy characters, but pointless. The movie is about the appalling experience of fighting for your life in a small boat in a big storm. If that is what you want to see, you will see it done here about as well as it can be done."

By the way, I thought it was a good flick too.

------------------
DVDjunkie21's Updated DVDProfiler List
Go Gators!
Old 01-23-01, 06:16 PM

I believe this to be a renter, not a buyer. The movie was ok but lacked anything to watch over again. Of course like everyone else this is just my opinion.
Old 01-23-01, 07:37 PM

**SPOILER***
Well it was based on a true movie, so many people knew all of em die in the end anyway (including myself). So it was the same situation like Titanic (you knew it sinks in the end and rose lives what'shisname dies).
The suspence dies so there's no point of watchin it.

my two cents
Old 01-25-01, 12:20 PM

I consider it a renter. It's OK. I didn't hate the movie, but once was enough.

What do I know though. I'd buy a Biodome dvd if it was out.