Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

WANTED - Thoughts on the Red Violin and/or General's Daughter

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

WANTED - Thoughts on the Red Violin and/or General's Daughter

Old 01-01-00, 02:42 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Does anyone have the Red Violin on dvd ? just wondering if the film is any good ?

Also the General's Daughter. i'm a big Travolta fan and I'm probably going to get this dvd. My only concern is i've heard things about the rape scene. is it bad ? My girlfriend detests (understandably so) any depicition of rape on film and so i'm wondering if i have to watch this one without her so she won't be offended

thanx
Old 01-01-00, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The General's Daughter
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000815.html

The Red Violin
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000715.html

The DVDTalk Forum's useful search engine
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubbcgi/search.cgi?action=intro

-Kevin
Old 01-01-00, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I just got the Red Violin in the mail on New Year's Eve, and I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say much on it. Too bad I'll probably have to wait a while to see it since I'm away from my DVD player and I doubt I can convince my friends to watch it.

However, on the Generals' Daughter, I'd say your girlfriend would HATE the rape scene. It can get graphic, something which doesn't bother me, but probably would bother others. In fact people I saw the film with were "disturbed". So I'd go on your own for that one....

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 01-03-00, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I haven't seen Red Violin yet, but has Samuel L. Jackson ever steered anyone wrong?

I have seen The General's Daughters though. In my opinion, it's worth a rent. I saw it at the movies last summer, and I thought it was a pretty good movie. I recently watched it at a friends house, and didn't care for it. It has no replay value what-so-ever. Hope this helps.

------------------
This Weeks Quote:

Homer: I'll see you in hell, dinnerplate.

After The Smoke Has Cleared, And My Credit Card Is Maxed Out, I Hold These DVD's...
Old 01-21-01, 09:03 PM

I finally saw this last night. A really good movie up until the point of Samuel L. Jacksons character comes in to the movie. I hated his character and I thought it really ruined the movie. I thought the character was really week. I also thought that the ending was really week. But the whole story of the violins life was fantastic. I would recommend a rent for this one. The music was also fantastic. Solo violin was performed by Joshua Bell who is fantastic.
Old 01-22-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Red Violin - Agree... Excellent film. Excellent DTS track. Samuel L. Jackson's character is really only in the last section, so don't expect a Sam Jackson film. A lot of subtitles and the stories are presented in several languages. Highly recommended rental if you can find it.
Old 01-22-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would give The Red Violin an A+, I especially liked the language changes in the scene in Germany. The DTS audio really is awesome!

On the other end of the spectrum, there is The General's Daughter. This movie is horrible. I even watched the deleted scenes to see what else could have been added to this film; nothing of importance was there. I really enjoyed the novel that this film was based on, but even Madeline Stowe and John Travolta can't rescue a film from a horrible script and worse direction.

YMMV
Old 01-22-01, 02:48 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adrian:
I just saw The Red Violin. I like it a lot. As of today, TRV is in my Top Ten FILMS of 1999. It might not be everyone's cup of tea hence I would suggest rent it first.
<HR>

--I liked The Red Violin as well and it's in my Top Ten, but of 1998. I just double checked IMDB and it has it listed as 1998 as well.

--I didn't like The General's Daughter regardless of the "rape" scene, but if someone is REALLY turned off by them, this one's sure to offend.

--Andrew

Old 01-22-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just another thumbs up for Red Violin.

Old 01-22-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I must say Des, I thought 'The Generals Daughter' was a very sad movie mate.

I agree with ya gf, it's crap.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-23-01, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

General's Daughter--ok movie, it concerns with PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) after rape, and the abilty of a victim of processing the trauma that she has faced. The signs of PTSD is also displayed through her sex-life and aggression. However, this is view out of a third person, Travolta. I give the movie, 7/10. Worth buying, if you get a good deal,