Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Se7en Platinum Edition - Nice piece of work

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Se7en Platinum Edition - Nice piece of work

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-00, 12:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After I saw this movie in the theatres I remember thinking that it was one of those movies I could never enjoy a second time. Not because it wasn't a great movie, but because I would never forget how it ended I would be cheating myself of the suspense. How wrong I was! Not only is the movie great but the audio remastering was incredible, for both DD and DTS! Even for an older movie and remastered audio, I have to say that it is better than anything else out to-date. If you haven't watched this yet, do it over the weekend and let me know what you think.

------------------
"...want to see something really scary?"
Old 12-24-00, 12:07 AM

I agree. I like the ambient rear effects. Especially all the rain.

Great movie. Great sound.

-Gonnosuke
Old 12-24-00, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting ready to view if right now. Yesterday I watched the whole 2nd disc - there's a lot of interesting stuff there. I'll probably catch a commentary a week for the next month.
Old 12-24-00, 02:11 PM

I felt the same way, never wanting to see it again. Now I might go rent it.
thanks.
Old 12-24-00, 03:59 PM

The picture quality was very nice, and the sound quality (especially with the haunting score) was very lively.

The extras were alright (nothing great). They went a little overboard on the photos.

Old 12-24-00, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In one word SHUPERB

------------------
Tony Block
Old 12-24-00, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was amazed at how much better the new DVD sounded. I'd been watching it on Laserdisc and the DVD was like watching a whole new movie. So to speak...

Mark

Old 12-25-00, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 65" HDTV (16x9) & think that Seven might be the best looking out of my 500 dvds. On a big HDTV you can see all the small flaws in a transfer, but Seven had great clarity & when bright colors were used in contrast to the dark backgrounds, they glowed sweeter than Christmas lights. And the DTS sound was just as good. Definitely the best sound from a movie without any big "action/shootout" scenes. Plus the deleted scenes were anamorphic & almost looked as good as the movie.
Old 12-26-00, 01:05 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Yes, the transfer was very good. The journal print during the opening credits was extraordinarily sharp on my RPTV. I had to pause it to savor it longer, and thought "whoa, this is gonna be good!" Too bad, I later realized, I'd already enjoyed one of the best parts of the film.

Unfortunately for me, the movie's plot did not live up to the technical superiority and hyped recommendations that sucked me into buying this piece of ultimately illogical and unsatisfying drivel. Or maybe I just missed the premise of this being a realism movie showing how a couple of podunk detectives in a backwater city would handle the case while being hopelessly outmaneuvered by a twisted, manipulative killer. Or was it just the movie that was so manipulative?
Old 12-26-00, 03:57 PM

Even before I'd seen this movie, I'd fallen into some reviews with major spoilers (including the entire ending), and although you might think so, it didn't have too much of an effect on how I watched the movie ultimately. And it definitely didn't ruin it for me, Fincher's one of my favorite directors, and even with the ending spoiled Se7en's made my "Best" list. Love love love it. I just realized that I'm supposed to be getting to its repetitive viewing rating... if you didn't like it the first time, you may do a little better the second with the tougher scenes. And if you liked it the first time, then sure as hell you love it the second, third, hundreth or whatever time you watch it. It's -definitely- worth the buy.

-Zee
Old 12-26-00, 04:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know why you'd call it an older movie. It's a 90s film. That's not old. Anyway, I love the movie and the new DVD. However, on my TV I noticed a lot of edge enhancement. Is this because of a bad transfer or because I don't have an HDTV, so my TV is skipping some lines, which make some things look jagged?

------------------
"Sometimes I dream I'm in a musical...because in a musical nothing dreadful ever happens."
Old 12-28-00, 04:06 PM

How violent is the movie?? I havent seen it yet but on a scale from 1 to 10 how bad is it?? i like to know what i'm getting in to heh
Old 12-28-00, 04:06 PM

How violent is the movie?? I havent seen it yet but on a scale from 1 to 10 how bad is it?? i like to know what i'm getting in to heh
Old 12-28-00, 05:16 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bakiller, I would give it a 9. Some will say that there isn't excessive gore or that much of the violence is implied, but I've got a stomach of steel and thought I'd lose my lunch when I first saw it--still love the heck out of it, though!
Old 12-29-00, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed the sound on this disc.

------------------
'face down, dead on the ground, find me before another is found'....Cannibal Corpse
Old 12-30-00, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Suprmallet:
I don't know why you'd call it an older movie. It's a 90s film. That's not old. Anyway, I love the movie and the new DVD. However, on my TV I noticed a lot of edge enhancement. Is this because of a bad transfer or because I don't have an HDTV, so my TV is skipping some lines, which make some things look jagged?

<HR>

.....shift work makes it tough to reply on-time,

By "older movie" I was talking in DVD-years.
On my original copy of this movie there was some obvious edge enhancement and artifact noticed without looking for it, but I didn't notice any video flaws on the SE version.
Old 12-31-00, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bakiller:
<HR>

It's more disturbing then it is violent. Still an excellent film.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.