DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Enemy Of The State

Old 06-15-99, 02:51 PM
sherm42

I just got this DVD yesterday and for a non-anamorphic transfer, I have rarely seen better. This is reference quality. Aside from that, I thought the movie just rocks. This is such a good movie. I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 06-16-99, 11:34 AM
pmreed

I also enjoyed the movie. Once the stage is set, the action starts and never stops.

Not much character deveopment though, and Dean, the Will Smith character, goes from genius to moron to genius in the course of the movie.

Spysats are good. but not that good.

Never the less, an enjoyable flick that I'd watch again with friends and can recommend as a buy.

Phil
Old 06-17-99, 01:14 AM
Spock

i really enjoyed this movie. this movie should be in everyone's DVD collection. this is also one of will smith's best performance.

------------------
Old 06-17-99, 09:44 AM
DukeOfURLs

I really liked this one, too. It sort of reminded me of the formula used in The Rock where you have a young apprentice and an older and wiser mentor i.e. Cage & Connery. As well as the similar standoff with the firearms.
Old 06-18-99, 03:35 PM
gotdvd

I finally get to see the rest of this movie on DVD this weekend. When I saw it in the theater, the film broke and so I missed the last half-hour. That really sucked. I was really enjoying it too. Now I'll be able to find out how it ends.

------------------
www.dvdtracker.com/~gotdvd.asp

www.radiohead.com

"Vanity, definitely my favorite sin."

Old 06-19-99, 03:10 AM
needlz

I agree . . .

A great movie and a awesome transfer for a non-anamorphic DVD . . . great performances by Will Smith and Gene Hackman and the storyline is very captivating.

. . . another masterpiece by Jerry Bruckheimer . . . anyone know what his next movie is? . . . when is it coming out?
Old 06-20-99, 02:11 AM
burgeon

This movie was great, especially as a companion to The Conversation (as many magazines have recently pointed out.) Hackman's character is very similar in it, and it's fun to compare the technology! I haven't seen The Conversation for a few years now, but I'd suggest it to anyone who likes EOTS.

-burgeon
Old 12-11-00, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a good movie to watch once, but it will not be one that people will remember a year or two from now, it wasjust on OK movie, though definately worth watching once or twice.
Old 12-11-00, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kind of funny you mention that burgeon I'm just about to start a double feature tonight since I received The Conversation today To stay on topic though I'll just add the obligatory "me too" post wrt EotS being a great movie
Old 12-11-00, 09:11 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ENEMY OF THE STATE is a very enjoyable flick (though the ending is a bit of a let-down) and there are many laudable aspects to the transfer, but ultimately, it's marred by the most excessive use of edge enhancement I've ever seen on a title this recent. The entire movie is full of ringing and shimmering, to the point where one has to bring the TV's sharpness all the way down to "0" to make it watchable. Definitely in need of a new, more natural-looking anamorphic transfer...
Old 12-13-00, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by burgeon:
This movie was great, especially as a companion to The Conversation (as many magazines have recently pointed out.) Hackman's character is very similar in it, and it's fun to compare the technology! I haven't seen The Conversation for a few years now, but I'd suggest it to anyone who likes EOTS.

-burgeon
<HR>

The constant stream of references to The Conversation is actually what I disliked about this movie the most. It reminded me of all the Hitchcock knock-offs Brian DePalma used to do.

Old 12-14-00, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea like will smith carried the film

it was a good movie but gene hackman carried it and JASON LEE stole the show
Old 12-14-00, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Matt Parks:
The constant stream of references to The Conversation is actually what I disliked about this movie the most. It reminded me of all the Hitchcock knock-offs Brian DePalma used to do.
<HR>

Having seen The Conversation now I'd have to say I agree. These two movies in no way really compare, except via the common actor/character. I'll give it another viewing in a couple of weeks or so, but my first viewing of TC left me w/ a less than favorable impression
Old 12-14-00, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 705 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Filmmaker:
ENEMY OF THE STATE is a very enjoyable flick (though the ending is a bit of a let-down)...
<HR>

Wow, I thought that the ending was excellent! When the wife & I watched this flick the first time, we both agreed that the ending was great & had wondered how the hell everything was going to be resolved.