DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Looking for In Depth Reviews

Old 12-06-00, 04:54 PM

Just like the title says... I like DVDtalk and other website reviews on film and dvd quality, but what I'm really looking for are discussions on the film in essay length form... like Gil Jaweckz(sp??) excellent paper on Fight Club. Doesn't even have to mention the dvd, I'm just looking for opinion/interpretation on the film itself.

Here are the three offsite links that I have:

Opening Eyes Wide Shut a long interpretation of EWS seperated into three acts. Saw this one in the main forum.

Temporal Anomalies in 12 Monkeys also from the main forum, this focuses mainly on(surprise) the time travel of the film.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000759/ On PT Anderson's website, there are two great in depth critical articles on Magnolia, "So Now Then.." and "Magnolia and the Signs of Our Times: A Theological Reflection."

Any other links to add? Also, if anyone has any good film theory links, I'd appreciate those as well.

------------------
"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Old 12-06-00, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey buddy, thanks for the compliment! I try to go into a little extra detail in my reviews (hence the long gaps in time between them).

As for more analytical reviews, I'll try to dig up some good sources. The New York Press has some fine film writers (Armond White, Godfrey Cheshire, Matt Sietz) but theirt web-page doesn't run all of the pieces (for instance there is an interesting piece this week about how racist Unbreakable is but it's not up on the web site). If you are curious there is an essay up there about the death of film in favor of digital movies that is a little overheated, but really sad. There will soon be no more celluloid and we'll be stuck with crappy digital.

Film Comment is often interesting but not available online (and frequently overly pretentious).

------------------
Read my DVDTalk Reviews Here...
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 12-06-00, 07:23 PM

Check out Senses of Cinema, an online film journal that covers a wide variety of subjects. The current issue has terrific articles on Takeshi Kitano and Joseph H. Lewis, among other things. The level of writing varies since there are many different contributors, but there is an incredible amount of material here.

Mobius' Home Video Forum is an indespensible film discussion forum with an excellent signal-to-noise ratio. The participants are extremely knowledgable and the site attracts a lot of film journalists and authors. Check out the review index. Once again the level of writing varies wildly with their reviews, since anyone can contribute, but there is a lot of thoughtful, in-depth stuff to be found. Desptie the name, the site is more focused on film than on video presentation.

Images Journal is another valuable online periodical. Each issue tackles a single genre or subject with a series of well written articles. the current issue focuses on Alfred Hitchcock, but past issues (which are still accessible) cover the Western, Film Noir, Cliffhangers, Italian Horror, Stars of the 30's, etc. There are also a few reviews of recent films in each issue.
Old 12-06-00, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

24 Frames Per Second has quite a few in-depth reviews, as well as some interesting articles, lists and links.
Old 12-07-00, 04:46 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I usually go to IMDb then select "External Reviews". That gives me reviews of both the movie and the DVD.

Also the Roger Ebert archives in the Chicago Sun Times (http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/) deal exclusively with the movie, not the DVD.
Old 12-08-00, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm mainly looking for interpretations/discussion than just a review...for films I've already seen and want to go more deeply into or discuss.

I found another excellent site from a random search:

www.cinephiles.net It's short encapsulated reviews aren't that great, but they have discussion forums for individual films, a great idea! Spent a couple of hours in the Magnolia forum alone.

www.filmsite.org has very good reviews for their top 100 of all time films, mostly the standard AFI list.

Thanks for the above links guys...haven't had time to check most of them out yet, but will start later tonight.