Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

solaris anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-01, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shadows of the Forgotten Ancestors was released by Ukranian Dovzhenko Studios and Ruscico doesn't have rights to their films. The movie was never banned in USSR. My mom remembers seeing it in the mid-70's. Also, see Parajanov: A Requiem (released by KINO on DVD) where they talk why SHADOWS wasn't banned.
Old 06-10-01, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Ashirg
Shadows of the Forgotten Ancestors was released by Ukranian Dovzhenko Studios and Ruscico doesn't have rights to their films. The movie was never banned in USSR. My mom remembers seeing it in the mid-70's. Also, see Parajanov: A Requiem (released by KINO on DVD) where they talk why SHADOWS wasn't banned.
Oh... so much for rumours.
Old 06-11-01, 03:22 AM

Ashirg wrote:

> Shadows of the Forgotten Ancestors was released by
> Ukranian Dovzhenko Studios and Ruscico doesn't have
> rights to their films. The movie was never banned in
> USSR. My mom remembers seeing it in the mid-70's. Also,
> see Parajanov: A Requiem (released by KINO on DVD) where > they talk why SHADOWS wasn't banned.

Actually, none of Paradjanov's films were "banned" or "shelved" in the strict sense, unlike Tarkovsky's ANDREI RUBLEV. Even THE COLOR OF POMEGRANATES wasn't officially banned--at first it was released only in Armenia, since it was assigned a lower category of distribution by Goskino, the central state distribution firm. The film could could still be shown in Russia to film critics and professionals, it just wasn't granted full distribution. Sergei Yutkevitch, who liked the film and had a lot of influence, offered to re-edit it slightly to get approval for commercial distribution outside of Armenia, which he did.

Still, I think it's interesting that your mom says she saw SHADOWS in the mid-70s, because Paradjanov was arrested in 1973 and wasn't released from jail until late 1977. I thought his work wasn't shown during this time.

I didn't see SHADOWS on the list of Ruscico DVDs, either. Somehow I don't think they'll pick it up. They did list ASHIK KERIB and LEGEND OF SURAM FORTRESS, but those are already available here through Kino. As Ashirg suggested, they don't seem to have a deal with Dovzhenko Studios. But they do with Gruzia Film, which is why they're doing Paradjanov's Georgian films. I personally can't wait for them to release Abuladze's THE WISHING TREE, which is IMHO the greatest Georgian film, period. Much better than Abuladze's later REPENTANCE.

What I'd really like to see is a Criterion Collection DVD of SHADOWS, since Home Vision has the home video rights to it in the U.S. I saw a new 35mm print of it a couple years ago, and it looked nothing short of amazing.

James