Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Star Trek DVD Vol. 14 problem:(

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Star Trek DVD Vol. 14 problem:(

Old 07-14-00, 05:23 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all.

I just obtained Star Trek DVD Vol. 14 from Amazon today and unfortunately, there appears to be a problem with the second episode on the disc (City on the Edge of Forever).

I would say that for about the first 35 minutes or so of the episode, the picture is very jittery (i.e. the picture bounces slightly up and down constantly). It is just noticeable to the point that it is very distracting. It stops after about 35 minutes and the other episode on the disc looks fine.

The picture quality of the episode is excellent, but the jitteriness is definitely there and very annoying. I would like to hear from anyone else who may have purchased this disc to see if they have the same problem or if it is just on the particular disc that I got. I hope the latter is true versus all of the copies of this disc being messed up as this episode is probably the series' single best show. If it is just my disc, I'm sure Amazon will be happy to exchange it for me.

Please let me know if anyone else has noticed this problem (or if your disc is O.K., let me know that, too). Thank you.

Jonthan
Old 07-14-00, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, the image is jittery on my disc as well. I'm not too happy as this is a good episode. I just hope it doesn't happen to "Mirror, Mirror" my personal fave.
Old 07-15-00, 12:38 AM
Banned

Hmmm.

I just got mine and on my 41 inch Toshiba the episode looks as solid as a rock. The only jitter to be seen is in the opening sequence when the Enterprise files through the time waves (which is as it should be.)

Weird...
Old 07-15-00, 06:44 AM
Cool New Member

Amazon is sending me a replacement for this DVD...they were very nice and sent the disc out today so I should get it Monday most likely. Plus they pay for the shipping cost to send back the first disc.

I just hope that the replacement is O.K. It sounds like only some of the discs have this problem as I posted this same message to other boards and got similar responses...some people had the problem while others did not.

Upon rewatching the episode tonight, I saw that the jittering was present for the entire episode...it was just a little less obvious towards the end. The other episode looked and sounded great!

Jonathan
Old 07-18-00, 05:03 PM
Cool New Member

Hmmm...I just received a replacement disc from Amazon (great customer service, BTW), but the new disc has the same problem .

To whomever reads this message and has this disc, if you could check again, I'd really appreciate it. For reference, go to the start of Chapter 3 where Kirk starts up with "Captain's Log: No Stardate. For us, time does not exist..." Watch the shot of the planet hanging in space before they cut to Kirk and company very closely. On both of the discs that I got, the image at this point jumps up and down very visibly. On my disc, the jumping happens throughout the episode.

I'd really like to know what other people find because if this is a universal problem with this DVD, I will be very upset and probably have to at least let Paramount know about the problem in the hopes that they might fix it and offer replacement discs to those of us who got the defective ones. Unfortunately, I am not holding my breath as Paramount has notoriously bad customer service, but I have to try...

Thanks.

Jonathan
Old 12-01-00, 11:37 PM
jet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checked mine. Pretty jittery. This sucks!
Old 12-02-00, 12:35 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sad to report that my all-time favorite episode of STAR TREK is a jittery mess, as well...