DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Pitch Black (Unrated)

Old 10-22-00, 11:49 AM

I already have a bunch of titles ordered for 10/24, so I'm thinking of cancelling my order for Pitch Black and just rent it instead. Anyone want to convince me I shouldn't do this? And does anyone have any idea what is the difference between the rated and unrated versions of this film?
Old 10-22-00, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if you are like me....I have not seen this move but I am waiting to receive my preorder!!! If I do not like it, I will sell it on ebay used and make a small profit on the sale!!

I am not sure what actual footage is included but another thread stated there was 3 minutes of additional footage!!!
------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited October 22, 2000).]
Old 10-22-00, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the digital bits review ( http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/pitchblack.html ) I gather there is really nothing much added back to the unrated cut. The prices are the same though so I will go with the unrated. Why pay the same price for less?

Vin Diesel was at a club in Atlantic City last night, he tried to pick up my girlfriend's sister. She dissed him, heehee! He said he couldn't discuss his current project either.(?) He had on the biggest diamond encrusted watch I have ever seen. Pretty cool guy.

------------------
Further proof of my Obsessive-Compulsion disorder
Old 10-23-00, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would advise you not to cancel your order. I have not yet seen the unrated version, but I can tell you what I thought of the movie. Though it is not the best sci fi movies ever made, it is a pretty good one. The acting was great. Vin Diesel was awesome. The plot was interesting, but it did lacke a little originality. The later parts of the film supply quite a bit of suspense though. But the thing that really made me like this movie was the look of the film. The first half has a washed out, "Three Kings" look. Very interesting. The opening ship wreck was incredible as well. I would say that this is a fun movie which is very much worth a purchase.

------------------
Walter Sobchak - "You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me."

The Dude - "Yeah, but Walter--"

Walter Sobchak - "Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon--with nail polish."

My very tiny, but ever-growing DVD list.
Old 10-23-00, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:
Originally posted by runngdog:
I already have a bunch of titles ordered for 10/24, so I'm thinking of cancelling my order for Pitch Black and just rent it instead. Anyone want to convince me I shouldn't do this? And does anyone have any idea what is the difference between the rated and unrated versions of this film?

If you're a big fan of Sci-Fi Horror films, then go ahead and get it. Otherwise, it would probably be more advisable to just rent it first to see if you even like the film.

Old 10-24-00, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just viewed my copy today....nice transfer...great sound!!! Dolby Digital and DTS to choose from...I thought the movie itself was okay...not worth keeping so I put it up for auction!!! One point I disagree with as far as the wording on the cover....it states this movie is SEXY???? There is nothing sexy about this movie...I would rent this prior to purchasing it!! I am a SCI-FI fan and I felt it just would not have much replay value in my collection.

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-25-00, 06:07 PM

I just purchased this disc from buy.com based on the fact my brother said it was good, and the majority of the reviews online are positive. If I don't like it I can always eBay it.

Also, don't listen to djones6746's comments since he owns three of the worst Sci-Fi movies made (Lost in Space, Astronaut's Wife, Godzilla). I am just messing around, so don't get your panties in a bun. We all have different tastes.

------------------
DVDjunkie21's DVD List l My Pic
Go Bucs!
Old 10-25-00, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent creatures; the first 5 minutes,at least with dts, will give your system a real workout; acting OK, kind of a hokey story, run of the mill science fiction, but top of the line effects and some real suspense at the climax. 2 commentaries, a short featurette, and, this is unusual, about 20 minutes of video from a pitch-black rave.
Old 10-25-00, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by DVDjunkie21:
I just purchased this disc from buy.com based on the fact my brother said it was good, and the majority of the reviews online are positive. If I don't like it I can always eBay it.

Also, don't listen to djones6746's comments since he owns three of the worst Sci-Fi movies made (Lost in Space, Astronaut's Wife, Godzilla). I am just messing around, so don't get your panties in a bun. We all have different tastes.

I would sell these if I thought it would be worth the time....just would not get that much return on them!!! Pitch Black was good but for me it just would not have replay value and I am one who enjoys watching a movie again and again. Excellent dvd though!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 10-26-00, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are interested in CGI, get this movie. In the theatre you can't stop or go slow mo to see the creatures in action. I got to see a lot of the stuff I missed the first time (my eyes are not too great when it comes to dark scenes). All the action happens after dark. You see it but on DVD everything is clear.
Old 10-27-00, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered it. Universal has that buy
2 of 3 (Skulls, PB, or U-571) and Get 1 Free.
I really wanted U-571 and figured I'd get Pitch Black because I heard it was decent and because I could get a Free DVD. If I don't
like it I can E-bay it after I send in for the Free DVD.
Old 10-27-00, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reviews on this were so split between "worst film of the year" and "best sci-fi of the year" I had no idea if I would like it or not until I watched it last night. Count me in for "best sci-fi of the year". It's a keeper, a shining example of what can be achieved with a low budget. In fact, a high budget tends to destroy the ideas in movies like this, by making every plot point a boardroom decision and changed according to an idiot test audience's input. And I didn't even like Screamers which it is often compared to.
Old 10-27-00, 10:50 PM

I received Pitch Black today from buy.com and just finished watching it. I thought it was a really good movie, but no where near as good as Alien or Aliens. I think it would be a good movie to watch again on a rainy night, or really late with some friends. Another good Sci-Fi/Horror movie is Event Horizon. I will pick that movie up as soon as they re-release it as a quality disc.

------------------
DVDjunkie21's DVD List l My Pic
Go Bucs!
Old 10-28-00, 08:11 PM

Mediocre film at best. The acting is questionable however. I thought for sure this would be the end of Diesel's career...
Old 10-28-00, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OMG, this movie was horriable. I sat through this film laughing. The movie is VERY slow! The first hour, nothing really happened. One guy went in a hole, and we saw his LEG! Ahhhhhhh!

The second part, when they left the compound started to pick up, but it was kinda lame. The only cool part was when that french guy drank some wine and spit it out on the flame. The last few minutes with the girl and the black guy were kinda weird, because I didn't expect what was gonna happen when she pulled him out of the dumpster. I won't spoil it for thos people that bought this garbage, but needless to say, I'm trading this.

For you SCI-FI people, this might be great, but not for me. Aliens was a good movie, this was just horrid.
Old 10-29-00, 01:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bdots48:
Excellent creatures; top of the line effects.

Eh? Did we watch the same movie? This movie had some of the worst CGI I've seen in years...(of course, I missed Bats and Wing Commander).

Other than the effects, the movie was so-so. I, for one, did not appreciate the "look" of the film that so many others seem to find artsy and inventive. It just looked lame to me, like a 60s Star Trek episode effect. They should have just filmed it out in the desert somewhere instead of building a really fake-looking set. Yeah, there were some suspenseful moments, but there were a lot of cliche moments in the film as well (characters doing stupid things that get them killed, etc.). Screamers is an interesting comparison, but that movie was even worse (was that the movie with the little killer teddy bear at the end? Hilarious!). The 2 other people I know who saw this film liked it even less than I did. I would advise renting before buying on this one.

--Apparition

Old 11-12-00, 12:17 PM

I just went to see it at the cinema.I'd give it 6 out of 10. The opening 10 minutes of shakey camera made my head ache and all that Saving Private Ryan/Three Kings type washed out camera work in the first half was really annoying. However it gets better towards the end. I'm glad i did'nt buy it now. Maybe some day if i find it in a half price sale i might.
Old 11-16-00, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bumping back to the 1st page since people are still asking for reviews (redundant thread).

------------------
Further proof of my Obsessive-Compulsion disorder
Old 11-16-00, 01:34 PM
Suspended

I rented htis movie when it first came out and liked it a lot so I bought it.. I bought the unrated version without realizing, but to me I didn't notice any difference between unrated and the normal one I rented. If you like movies like Aliens you might like this one It's got some great effects and even though the acting can be a little off at times it's still a decent movie IMO..