Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Man did Mission to Mars SUCK!!!!!

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Man did Mission to Mars SUCK!!!!!

Old 10-27-00, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
It was sooooooo slow.....

Agree or dis-agree.

[This message has been edited by Giantrobo (edited October 26, 2000).]
Old 10-27-00, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed...
Old 10-27-00, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After all the negative reviews I am passing on this one...
Old 10-27-00, 12:44 PM

I'll agree that the pacing was too slow, and too much unnecessary stuff was forced into it to liven up the action, but I have to respect one thing about it. They set out to do a science fiction movie rather than an action or horror movie that just happened to be set in space.

I liked it, but not enough to rent it a second time, and certainly not enough to recommend it to anyone.
Old 10-27-00, 12:48 PM

Believe it or not, there is a worse movie than MTM that was released this year: BATTLEFIELD EARTH. Somehow, I managed the excruciating torture of MISSION TO MARS until the credits rolled, but BATTLEFIELD EARTH was so unbearable that I walked out after about 20 minutes. If anyone's ignorant enough to purchase the disgraceful BE DVD when it's released... well I can't say that they deserve it, but I feel sorry for them.
Old 10-27-00, 01:54 PM

I hate to admit it, but when Mission came out in the theatres I actually liked it. I rented the DVD a couple of weeks ago and I could barely get through the whole thing!
Old 10-27-00, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yeah........Boring. WAIT! We can't bash a movie unless we have 5 paragraphs on why.
Old 10-28-00, 10:54 AM

Bet they will be giving this one away real soon in stores. New dvds will probably go for $9.99 and Blockbuster will soon be itching to unload this turkey too!

videoking
Old 10-28-00, 04:27 PM

I loved this movie. I thought Gary Sinese was sexy with all that eye-liner. And the 2001-like spaceship scenes? Brilliant! And the acting? Oscar-worthy I'm sure. And the plot? About as original as a pay-per-click dot.com company! (and it lasted in the theaters about the same amount of time as those companies)
Old 10-28-00, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't recommend this DVD unless the person has insomnia.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 10-28-00, 09:46 PM
Cool New Member

Well folks,

I hadnt seen Mission to mars in the theaters... So when I found it for $14.99, I said, how bad can it be....

And yea it was no 2001, but the effects were pretty cool. Also it sounds killer on a 5.1 system!

Old 10-29-00, 01:16 AM

Even in sci-fi the story has to seem somewhat credible, with no unexplained and impossible events.

Now when a spaceship decompresses from a small leak, there may be time to quickly fix it. But to sit around and idly discuss what to do, and then suit up is stupid. Obviously they would have drilled dozens of times exactly what to do in this situation, so their actions would be nearly automatic, and fairly well-thought-out and rapid.

The guy who refused to put on his helmet in spite of this crisis, and then, after their was no oxygen (hence no air pressure), he is revived with an oxygen mask. Did some miracle prevent explosive decompression and some even cooler special effects of blood/gore? They never say so I guess they assume no viewer would have read anything about the ill-effects of a hard vacuum on an unprotected human being.

Duh.

And the alien at the end is even cheesier than some Dr. Who aliens. IMHO of course.

All in all, I wouldn't even rent this or watch it on cable unless it was to tear it apart with some friends.
Old 10-29-00, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

SPOILERS SPOILERS
.And for them to kill tim robbins so far into the movie....why? He is the best "regular guy" actor and his role wis diminished when he killed himself.

Also,

How many times have we seen the "ALIENS SEEDED THE EARTH" storyline?

They did that story in Star Trek(tv ep.)
Old 10-29-00, 04:24 PM
Cool New Member

erm... ok so the movie sucked... but...erm..... but the box was nice?
Old 10-29-00, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The music was bizarre, too. Interestingly weird in and of itself, but inappropriate for many scenes. The leaking ship scene comes to mind: The music made it hard to determine if we were supposed to be amused or tense.
Old 10-30-00, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by rsortor:
Believe it or not, there is a worse movie than MTM that was released this year: BATTLEFIELD EARTH.<HR>

That's probably true, but I don't think most of us were suckered (fortunately) into seeing Battlefield Earth. Travolta hasn't been in anything even reasonably good since Face/Off. Soooo we're picking on Mission to Mars.

------------------
The small alien walked past the car.
"Co2 level up 0.5 percent," it rasped, giving him a meaningful look.
"You do know you could find yourself charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don't you?"
Old 10-30-00, 09:34 AM

Couldn't agree more with IPKEvin. WHAT was up with that bizzaro score!? That's the part I noticed the first in this horrible flick. Like some music experimentation gone off the map.
Old 10-30-00, 05:32 PM

I just watched MTM today and you guys are right, the movie sucked.
I give the movie a high grade for visuals and the 5.1 mix was very good, BUT the story was labored, the music score was bizarre, and the actors were unable to really perform. Not there fault due to so many blue screens and the bad script.
Worth a rental if you can get it for FREE like I did.
Sad when you think of the effort put into the special effects as described in the bonus materials section.
Will NOT be buying this one even if I could get it used at Blockbuster for under $9.99.

Is it just me or is Hollywood really failing these days with these action/thriller pictures. Think... End of Days/Supernova/Stigmata/Blair Witch 2 etc...
these films look and sound good but the scripts,stories and acting usually are awful!

videoking
Old 10-30-00, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Useless:

Couldn't agree more with IPKEvin. WHAT was up with that bizzaro score!? That's the part I noticed the first in this horrible flick. Like some music experimentation gone off the map.
<HR>

I once thought of starting a thread in DVD Talk on listing the absolute worst scores with this movie in mind. I kept asking myself, "Did the guy writing the score actually watch the movie?" or "Has the guy writing the score seen ANY movies?"
Old 10-30-00, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to say it again...

I waited a looooong time while watching this garbage just to get to a punchline that has been used before

LAME LAME LAME
Old 11-12-00, 11:04 AM

I liked and i bought it and i don't regret it either. I did'nt find it THAT slow, but then i don't have the attention span of a five year old. It's easy to find faults with ANY movie.
Old 11-13-00, 01:50 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw MTM on PPV the other night and was pleasantly surprised. I guess after reading all the bashing above my expectations were significantly lowered. I thought the visuals were great and the story itself was not bad. All in all a good Mars movie.

Not sure if Val Kilmer's "Red Planet" is going to compare at all... Although both movies seem to have casts stacked with good actors...
Old 11-13-00, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mission to Mars wasn't suck because it was slow. It was suck because it was corny and had horrible acting. I can say one thing about this movie, after finally seeing it:

Mission to Mars is roughly 94.2325% better than Battlefield Earth. At least Mission to Mars was pretty to look at.

Marianne

------------------
"The flies in my apartment are driving me crazy...there's a million of them. I should probably clean up the kitchen. I guess it's time to bury Aunt Sally, too."
http://www.dewlap.com
Old 11-13-00, 06:47 PM
Cool New Member

Sure, it was slow, but how fast can you actually go in space? Is Star Wars realistic? I think not!

I enjoyed this movie and thought the photography and audio was awesome, not to mention the fact my wife was crying her eyes out several times during the movie.

------------------
"I want my HDTV"
Old 11-13-00, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was on PPV the other night and I watched IN SPITE of all the negative stuff I have read and it was nowhere near as bad as you guys are making it out to be! The Van Halen scene, Ok, yes that was pretty close to unbearable. You guys lowered my expectations so much that I was able to semi-enjoy it.

------------------
Further proof of my Obsessive-Compulsion disorder

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.