Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

review for rules of engagement?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

review for rules of engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-00, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was wondering about this, and wanted to know from fellow forum members what their quick thoughts of this film were.
Old 10-08-00, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not seen this title yet but a thread I had read awhile back was enough to cause me to cancel my preorder for this title!! Maybe I should have given it a chance but there were few posts in the thread which said this movie was good!!! If anything....Best Buy has this marked down to $16.99.....add the 15% off preferred customer coupon if you received one which takes it down to about $15.50 which includes tax!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-08-00, 05:24 PM

Jack, DJones...

Rules of Engagement was okay, but I wouldn't buy it unless you got a very good deal for it. Other than a drunken fistfight, Samuel L Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones don't spend much time together...while I don't remember everything from the movie, I was dissapointed that this was the best the director of The Exorcist and the French Connection could do with the cast and situation he had. Like A Few Good Men, except more action and not handled nearly as well. Definately rent it first.

------------------
"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called F*ck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground."
Old 10-08-00, 07:48 PM

I thought it was an okay film, worth a rental - I think most will be satisfied to watch it once. Paramount's DVD, on the other hand, is excellent. The first twenty minutes have sound that will knock you out of your seat, just simply incredible.
Old 10-08-00, 08:04 PM
Banned

Pretty terrible film. Treat yourself to an ice cream instead.
Old 10-10-00, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched it and the sound in the first 15 minutes is worth the $10 i paid for it. I wasnt paying attention while the phone rang, when all of a sudden gun shot fire went on and i jumped out of my seat. The rest of the movie was ok, but i expected a little more drama in the court room scenes like A Few Good Men. Left a little short but definate check out one time

capt
Old 10-10-00, 10:10 PM

I havent seen the DVD yet but i really liked it in the movies..but i like war movies a lot so mabey i'm biased...I would say get it for $10
Old 10-30-00, 01:11 AM

Just watched it on dvd and I thought the surround sound on this movie was incredible.
A good solid story with great acting by old pros.
This is one of the best surround movies I have ever heard especially the jungle combat scenes....listen to those surrounds!!
Old 10-30-00, 10:17 PM
RVN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really, really liked this movie alot. It was a great blend of action, drama and story. I'm really surprised that anybody wouldn't like this one at all.

It's a demo quality DVD as well. Oh well, to each his own. I gambled on it, not having seen it in the theater and I feel like I won.

RVN
Old 10-31-00, 01:44 PM
Suspended

I rented this.. I was going to buy it when it came out, but never got around to it.. but I'm glad I rented it first. It was an OK movie, acting was OK, but the story just seemed a little weak. The first half hour or was was great but after that I wasn't to impressed anymore

I'd say rent it first and see how ya like it
Old 11-02-00, 10:02 AM

Rules of Engagement is a terrific movie. I really enjoyed it. Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson deliver some oscar-worthy performances. The action sequences including the Embassy Siege was quite good. The court scene was impressive. You could feel the tension brewing there. Im not a big fan of courtroom dramas but I will make an exception with this one. Overall, I give Rules of Engagement an A.
Old 11-02-00, 10:17 AM

I saw Rules of Engagement in the theater and liked the movie a lot. As soon as it was announced for pre-order, I signed up. I have watched the dvd and it is an excellent pressing. If you're not sure you like this type movie, I'd rent it before buying.
Old 11-02-00, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
I just watched this for the first time two nights ago:

The Good News:
--Very good DVD with solid image and audio. Good use of LFE and surrounds.
--Solid acting from screen vets Jones and Jackson.

The Bad News:
Rules of Engagement has one of the worst scripts I have ever seen in a big budget film. There are so many implausibilities at work here I don't know where to start. The cast and production efforts are completely wasted.

Rent it first. Trust me.

------------------
DVD reviewer for
digitallyOBSESSED.com
Old 11-02-00, 11:06 AM

I liked it too. The battle scenes and embassy siege scenes are excellent sound-wise - the rest of the story was entertaining. Rent if you're unsure.
Old 11-02-00, 01:00 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it as well (7.5 out of 10). I saw it in the theater and purchased it as soon as it was available.

Since I saw it in the theater I didn't need to rent it first, but with any movie (with mixed reviews) you are not sure of, I would recommend renting before buying. Unless of course you get a great deal on the disc and therefore have the option to sell or trade it.
Old 11-10-00, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love this film.
Old 11-12-00, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the embassy siege scenes, especially when they just decide to go medieval on those protestors, but everything after that point was just downhill. The plot was about as (no, wait....stupider) than the General's Daughter (don't ask me why I chose that title to mock, it just popped into my head), and the whole government conspiracy to frame the warhero thing is just so retarded. But I got a kick out of watching this thing in the theater with the amazing sound and all. Paying money to own this disc... I wouldn't. IMO, rent it.