DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review of Frequency

Old 10-30-00, 08:50 PM

Just in case you were unsure of this title for purchase this week, I would like to throw out my $.02

Frequency is BY FAR my favorite film this year. This film can best be described in my opinion as a cross between Back to the Future and Silence of the Lambs. A sketchy summary goes like this: A 30-something year old man finds his father's old hand radio and is finds he is able to communicate with his father 30 years in the past. Unknowingly, he sets off a domino effect of events by divulging information that completely alters both of their existences. After this occurs, the film truly spirals out of control (for the better!) This is the ONLY film that has made me cry openly in public in my whole life (20 yrs) and kept me on the edge of my seat when the action got intense. I plan on picking this one up from Virgin at midnight tonight and popping it in my player to check out all the extra features (which I hear are very extensive)

If you check out the reviews you will find that it has an average rating of 7.7/10 at the IMDB (not bad by their standards at all) and 76% or so liked it according to Rotten tomatoes. If you like Field of Dreams, Back to the Future, and Silence of the Lambs, don't walk...but RUN to pick this one up..If you are only moderately curious about such a film, give it a rental. I only know ONE viewer personally who didn't care for it. I am betting many of you will find this your favorite movie of this year too.
Old 10-30-00, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed this film as well. Though it is a bit slow, and it can kind of confusing, its packed with features, and for such a low price, a must buy.

Thanks for the review.
Old 10-31-00, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man you are really excited by this film!

I saw it for the first time on Sunday and really enjoyed it. Gregory Hoblit, the director, has made some interesting films which I liked, for example Fallen and Primal Fear. In this film, there are bits of time travel kind of stuff that came up in the T2 thread a week or so ago. So if you really try to analyze it, you'll have difficulty. But it's really quite an inteesting film. Defintely check it out if you can.

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 10-31-00, 02:21 PM

and its only $14.99 at Circuit City this week!
Old 11-01-00, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good flick....just finished viewing my copy!!! Have not checked out the extras yet but the movie was very good!!! The video and audio were very good also...

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-02-00, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great movie.
Old 11-03-00, 10:10 AM
Suspended

I rented this one last night and I thought it was a damn fine movie.. prolly gonna buy it next time I have cash burning a hole in my pocket
Old 11-04-00, 01:56 PM

What's up with MrShowBiz.com?

They only give Frequency 20 out of 100 !!!
http://mrshowbiz.go.com/reviews/movi...ency_2000.html

Can anyone comment, as I haven't seen the flick and was getting pretty excited about all the positive reviews, until this.

Please comment!

Old 11-04-00, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper:
What's up with MrShowBiz.com?

They only give Frequency 20 out of 100 !!!
http://mrshowbiz.go.com/reviews/movi...ency_2000.html

Can anyone comment, as I haven't seen the flick and was getting pretty excited about all the positive reviews, until this.

Please comment!

Definitely would not listen to this review....at least rent it and see for yourself!!!! I never take reviews too seriously....

BTW...this idiot's review is way off base.....!!!! Sure this is not the movie of the century but it really was not that bad of a movie!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old 11-04-00, 05:32 PM
Cool New Member

I just finished watching Frequency and thought it was excellent!!! I rented it but now plan or purchasing it and adding it to my collection.
Old 11-06-00, 07:25 AM

Just got my copy in the mail on Friday. Watched it over the weekend, and liked it even more than when I saw it in the theater. This is one of the few films where I actually watched all the extras. The documentary on the science behind the film is actually kind of neat.

------------------
Oh my Nuts! N-V-T-S!
Old 11-06-00, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I also concur, this is an overlooked gem of a movie. Try it, you'll enjoy it!

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 11-06-00, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i rented this flick over the weekend & enjoyed it although it got a little tedious toward the end.

held my attention & it is a pretty nice special edition if you like it enough to buy it. i would suggest a rental but i personally would not buy it.