DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Request: Life of Python

Old 11-02-00, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hi all, I am a big Python fan, and own all the Python episodes and movies, and am wondering if anyone has checked out the new Life of Python set yet?

I know I will get it eventually, it's more a matter of should I go right out and buy it now, or should I wait until I can find it really cheap

One disaapointment for me is in hearing that it features Meatloaf for a history of Python movie -- that sucks for me since I really don't like that Couscous fellow a single bit... Couldn't they have had Neil Innes do it??

Anyway, any feedback would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-02-00, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

2.0 stereo sound is clear, decent picture (full-frame).

I have not yet watched the German episode on disc two but the documentary on disc one was well worth the price IMHO.

------------------
DVD reviewer for
digitallyOBSESSED.com
Old 11-02-00, 08:17 PM

Haven't watched the whole thing yet, just the last 30 minutes of the first disc, and the german episode.

About half of the german episode was familiar (philosopher olymics, etc), but not all of it.

At least in the 30 minutes that I watched of the documentary, Meatloaf played a very minor role, a few facts and introductions, he didn't do a lot of talking. In fact, I was under the impression that he only covered the music, which is what the last 30 minutes focused on. (I started at the Southpark tribute and watched through to the end of the disk).

Speaking of which, my wife, who HATES Southpark, couldn't stop laughing at the SP tribute to Monty Python.
Old 11-02-00, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Does the 2nd disc really only contain the german episode?? Man, it seems like they could have fit this stuff on one disc...
Old 11-02-00, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:
Originally posted by porieux:
Thanks for the feedback.

Does the 2nd disc really only contain the german episode?? Man, it seems like they could have fit this stuff on one disc...

Yes, disc two only contains one German episode and yes, it could have held a lot more. I just read somewhere that there were actually two German episodes filmed but can't verify that...

------------------
DVD reviewer for
digitallyOBSESSED.com
Old 11-03-00, 03:45 AM
Banned

Is the documentry the same Life of Python that aired on A&E Biography last year? I saw part of the Biography and loved it, but the package doesn't say it is an A&E Biography. Did A&E just call it that when they aired it on cable? Is it the same doc?
Old 11-03-00, 03:47 PM

My only real disapointment, now that I've watched the whole thing was that despite what I had heard, they only included a few seconds of the eulogy John Cleese gave Grahm Chapman when he died. Having not seen the A&E documentary, I can't say if they're the same.

It consisted of one segment that dealt with the history of the shows and movies which was about an hour long, half an hour of travelling around to see where certain sketches were filmed, a SouthPark Tribute, and half an hour of "From Spam to Sperm" which is the previously referenced segment focusing on the music of Monty Python (and you can relax, that's the only part that Meatloaf appears in, if you don't like him).

The second disk does have parts of the other german episode on it, but they were all skits that were done for BBC and translated into German (reshot, not dubbed into German, at least not where there were on-screen characters talking). Though it is interesting to see how the lumberjack song translates into German.
Old 11-03-00, 08:34 PM

Hmm...sounds like a rather disapointing set, compared to what I'd imagined might be on there....stuff like outtakes, interviews, commentaries. I can't believe the 2nd disc is that barren.

It really sounds like it should have been one disc only (or a lot more packed of course)

Oh well, I will buy it anyway, but not until I can find it cheap....no rush for this one

Thanks all.
Old 11-04-00, 04:04 PM

I think I understated things a little bit. There aren't any bloopers, but the show documentary and music documentary had interviews, and the locations bit was done by Michael Palin. There were also a few minor new shorts shot, a few poking fun at BBC2, a few gumby-in-the-street feedback skits, etc.

NetFlix has this, if you want to take a look at it and already have a NetFlix account. I don't know about any of the other rental places, though.