DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: The Beyond

Old 10-29-00, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Should I get this? I really liked Romero's Films but haven't seen any of Fulci's.

I've heard either it was a masterpiece or it wasn't good. What are people's opinions here? I did a search but didn't find much.
Old 10-30-00, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

You can read my review of it here. I very highly recommend picking up the disc...

------------------
My DVD list | My homepage
You know, your life really isn't complete until you've experienced the awe and wonder of Big Wolf On Campus.

[This message has been edited by ctyner (edited October 29, 2000).]
Old 10-30-00, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, i'm a huge Italian horror fan, but i have always approached Fulci with caution. He has a stiffnes to his direction that always annoys me. After years of waiting to see The Beyond, thought to be his best film, i was sorely disappointed. It was really flat and just didnt do it for me at all. i think what it boils down to, if you like the kind of energy that Romero and Argento use, i would be careful, because Fulci often has about as much energy as a Zombie when he directs his movies.

The DVD does look really good, and has the option of the Italian dub or The English dub, witch is cool. The packaging says it has a rare on set interview with him, but it isnt on the options- Anyone else notice that?. For me though, it should have been a rental; i've been thinking about unloading mine on ebay or somewhere.
Old 10-30-00, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The on-set interview is buried in the extras, but it's there. It's also not on the set of the Beyond, which is a bit misleading.

------------------
My DVD list | My homepage
You know, your life really isn't complete until you've experienced the awe and wonder of Big Wolf On Campus.
Old 10-31-00, 09:25 AM

The Beyond is a bit slow, as are all of Fulci's films. But I think it's really fantastic. It has all of the atmosphere and dense color of an Argento film, but much bloodier. There isn't much of a Romero connection here at all, but being a horror fan I would strongly recomend seeing it. However, even if you don't like it, don't give up on Fulci. If you don't lie one of his movies, practically each film jumps dramatically in tone and mood. Some are great, some aren't. This one is.
Old 10-31-00, 10:21 AM

This was my only third Fulci (superior "Don't Torture a Duckling" and average "Lizard in Woman's Skin" before that), but I enjoyed it nevertheless. The DVD is a keeper for me. I also enjoyed "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie"...

------------------
- Are you gangsters?
- No. We're Russians.
Old 10-31-00, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another review if you're interested: http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/bmbeyond.html

------------------
The Jacksonville Film Journal - http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/