Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Sting Live at Universal Ampitheater

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Sting Live at Universal Ampitheater

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-00, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that this disc is sale at Best Buy. Anyone pick it up? How long is it, what's the sound and picture quality, any extra features?

------------------
"You only live twice:
Once when you are born,
And once when you look death in the face."

DVDs: For the Edification of Today's Youth In the Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (donations now accepted)
Cyber Film SchoolStrictly Film School
Old 09-06-00, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Well, I finally picked it up. It's a very nice DVD. Top quality production values. The video (which you get a glimpse of in the much-played Sting CD ads for Best Buy) is top-notch. Very clear and sharp. Nice lighting effects. It's comparable to the James Taylor disc, well defined and colorful.
The audio is clean and front-channels heavy. Surrounds are used sparingly, but the subwoofer does get a workout. Again, the sound is very good, if not terribly enveloping
The extras are another story. Nice full motion menues with songs playing. The "backstage footage" is a whopping nearly TWO MINUTES of interviews. Thanks for almost nothing. Also no discography, lyrics, angle features, music videos or anything else.
The concert itself is very entertaining; Sting is in top form for the LA crowd (I think I saw Gwenyth in the audience during "Message in a Bottle"). The show runs 18 songs and nearly 90 minutes. Overall, one of the better concert DVD I own, but don't expect any extras. Remember, it's free this month at Best Buy when you buy a DVD changer, in case you were thinking of picking one up anyway.
Old 09-06-00, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second everything Decker said, this disc looks and sounds fabulous!!

If you don't need a new DVD changer, you can score a copy for $19.99...I think this disc doesn't street anywhere else until the 26th or so...get it if you enjoy Sting at all...

------------------
Inching ever closer to the 1000 post club...
Old 09-07-00, 02:00 PM
Banned

I was at this concert. Sting thanked all concert goers by giving them a coupon to mail in for a Free CD of the concert. The CD is great, I'll have to get this DVD.
Old 09-08-00, 04:10 AM

I thought Sting sucked?
Old 09-08-00, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mikerena:
I thought Sting sucked?<HR>

Obviously you thought wrong.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-08-00, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Kenwood:
I was at this concert. Sting thanked all concert goers by giving them a coupon to mail in for a Free CD of the concert. The CD is great, I'll have to get this DVD. <HR>

That's very cool. You really should get the DVD (it's at Best Buy now, everywhere else the end of the month). I bet you could ebay that otherwise-unavailable CD to a Sting fanatic for a lot of money!

Old 10-26-00, 06:21 PM

Kenwood - would you consider burning a CDR of the Sting CD? I'd be glad to compensate you for time and materials. (It wasn't sold in stores and you're not making a profit, so it should be perfectly legal to share.)
Old 10-26-00, 06:23 PM

One more things... has anyone listened to the Free Best Buy version of this DVD on a system without 5.1 surround sound? I've played two different disks and the audio seems to cut in and out on a few of the tracks. (Either bad mix or bad microphoning.) I thought maybe the sound was incorrectly split and my two channel system was missing some audio.