DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Review Wanted: Sting Live at Universal Ampitheater (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/73242-review-wanted-sting-live-universal-ampitheater.html)

RolloTomasi 08-30-00 09:58 PM

I heard that this disc is sale at Best Buy. Anyone pick it up? How long is it, what's the sound and picture quality, any extra features?

------------------
"You only live twice:
Once when you are born,
And once when you look death in the face."

DVDs: For the Edification of Today's Youth In the Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (donations now accepted)
Cyber Film SchoolStrictly Film School

Decker 09-06-00 02:17 AM

Well, I finally picked it up. It's a very nice DVD. Top quality production values. The video (which you get a glimpse of in the much-played Sting CD ads for Best Buy) is top-notch. Very clear and sharp. Nice lighting effects. It's comparable to the James Taylor disc, well defined and colorful.
The audio is clean and front-channels heavy. Surrounds are used sparingly, but the subwoofer does get a workout. Again, the sound is very good, if not terribly enveloping
The extras are another story. Nice full motion menues with songs playing. The "backstage footage" is a whopping nearly TWO MINUTES of interviews. Thanks for almost nothing. Also no discography, lyrics, angle features, music videos or anything else.
The concert itself is very entertaining; Sting is in top form for the LA crowd (I think I saw Gwenyth in the audience during "Message in a Bottle"). The show runs 18 songs and nearly 90 minutes. Overall, one of the better concert DVD I own, but don't expect any extras. Remember, it's free this month at Best Buy when you buy a DVD changer, in case you were thinking of picking one up anyway.

Foole 09-06-00 06:41 AM

I second everything Decker said, this disc looks and sounds fabulous!!

If you don't need a new DVD changer, you can score a copy for $19.99...I think this disc doesn't street anywhere else until the 26th or so...get it if you enjoy Sting at all... http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Inching ever closer to the 1000 post club...

Kenwood 09-07-00 02:00 PM

I was at this concert. Sting thanked all concert goers by giving them a coupon to mail in for a Free CD of the concert. The CD is great, I'll have to get this DVD.

mikerena 09-08-00 04:10 AM

I thought Sting sucked?

cloud 09-08-00 07:49 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikerena:
I thought Sting sucked?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously you thought wrong.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

Decker 09-08-00 11:20 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenwood:
I was at this concert. Sting thanked all concert goers by giving them a coupon to mail in for a Free CD of the concert. The CD is great, I'll have to get this DVD. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's very cool. You really should get the DVD (it's at Best Buy now, everywhere else the end of the month). I bet you could ebay that otherwise-unavailable CD to a Sting fanatic for a lot of money!

Distraction 10-26-00 06:21 PM

Kenwood - would you consider burning a CDR of the Sting CD? I'd be glad to compensate you for time and materials. (It wasn't sold in stores and you're not making a profit, so it should be perfectly legal to share.)

Distraction 10-26-00 06:23 PM

One more things... has anyone listened to the Free Best Buy version of this DVD on a system without 5.1 surround sound? I've played two different disks and the audio seems to cut in and out on a few of the tracks. (Either bad mix or bad microphoning.) I thought maybe the sound was incorrectly split and my two channel system was missing some audio.