Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

need feedbacks on "Night of the Living Dead"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

need feedbacks on "Night of the Living Dead"

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-00, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I head that the "30th Anniversary" version sucks. Is this true. Shall I get the "1990" version? Thanks
Old 10-06-00, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This movie seems to confuse a lot of people. There are essentially 3 different versions of the film (and various DVDs of those 3 versions).

1968 Original
1990 Remake
1998 30th anniversary (which is the 1968 version, with some scenes edited out and some newly-filmed scenes added in)

Most people (myself included) think that the "30th Anniversary" edition is terrible. They basically ruined the film by adding a bunch of badly acted/scripted scenes and a childish soundtrack.

The 1968 version is in the public domain so there are a ton of different DVDs out there. The ONLY one worth getting is the Elite DVD. It has amazing picture quality and supplements, including 2 commentary tracks:

http://www.express.com/consumer/prod...UCTNUMBER=1451

Don't be fooled into buying one of the $5-$10 versions of this title -- the quality is terrible.

The 1990 version is an entirely different film, directed by Tom Savini. It has its moments, but ultimately I didn't care for it much... worth a rental if you're a fan of the 1968 version, though.
Old 10-06-00, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very concise reply, bboisvert. Absolutely right on all points. The frequency of this question has really got your script down huh?

As a big horror fan, I enjoy the 1990 version on occasion, and the Tom Savini commentary track is interesting, but I never consider it in the same league as the original masterpiece. Buy the ELITE ONLY!
Old 10-06-00, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 1998 30th ann is terrible. the remake (1990) version is argh.. the best bet is to go with the classic. one with the zombie gal on it is the best
Old 10-06-00, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
JackSkeleton, I believe that you mean the Elite disc right? But your description might also fit AB's 30th Anniv. (Doesn't it have a monochromatic "zombie girl" pattern in grey checkerboard?)

I wholeheartedly agree with all of the sentiments posted. The Elite disc is the one to get without a doubt. The only negative is that it has what is perhaps the most butt-ugly cover art I've ever seen for this film. Actually, I like the art for one of the Madacy discs that has the original poster art.

------------------
Tom Perconti - A cheapskate's DVD Collection...now using DVDProTrack online!
Old 10-07-00, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i didn't like this movie. was watching it alone, and went to sleep in between.
Old 10-09-00, 09:44 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

At last count, there were seven, count em, SEVEN versions of the classic Night of the Living Dead (1968, 96 minutes) available on DVD. Most can be found in the bargain bin -- but a more appropriate expression would be the "trash bin." Beyond those, hapless fans are likely to encounter Anchor Bay's 30th Anniversary Edition (there's also a 2-disc Limited Edition.) With 15 minutes of horrendous NEW scenes and the addition of a ghastly musical score, the disc is the greatest abomination of the film's checkered past -- and that's including the colorized TV version. Look closely at the packaging and note the absence of co-writer/director George Romero on the disc's commentary track, which should be an excellent indication of how George feels about the tinkering. He recently told Wicked magazine, "Those guys are still friends of mine, and I said to them that I'm not going to put a heavy slam on it. So, I won't. As far as I'll go is to say that I certainly didn't like it." He's talking about co-writer John Russo, Bill Hinzman and Russell Streiner -- all of whom worked on the original film and produced the dubious anniversary edition.

Since the beginning, Russo and Romero have battled over who had the rights to the film. They eventually agreed that John owned the script and the words "Living Dead," while George got the word "Dead" by itself. Their agreement explains the titles of Romero's sequels, Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Day of the Dead (1985). Things got even more confusing after the movie went into public domain and a flood of different videos hit the market. It also meant the filmmakers weren't getting their cut anymore. This is likely why Russo and his pals produced the new material and recut and rescored the original -- as they'd see any profits from the hybrid edition. Romero chose not to participate, though he did join them in producing Tom Savini's remake in 1990.

So, you're probably wondering, "Is there ANY version a fan can purchase in good conscience?" Absolutely, Elite Entertainment's Special Collector's Edition. It's the original, unmonkeyed-with movie that's been masterfully restored and packed with extras. Accept no substitute.

The movie: This is the harrowing story of seven strangers, hiding in a Pennsylvania farm house, who find out what happens when people stop being dead, and start getting hungry. The tale begins with Barbra (Judith O'Dea) and Johnny (Russell Streiner) paying their respects to a deceased relative, when they encounter the first representative of the undead -- who makes it clear he doesn't come in peace. Barbra runs screaming from the cemetery to a nearby house, where she hides from her lurching pursuer. Soon our hero, Ben (Duane Jones), joins her and begins to fortify the house. He's had to flee from a bunch of zombies by plowing through them with his car. Ben successfully keeps the undead at bay via pyrotechnics and a good old fashion club to the noggin. Halfway through the movie, five more refugees emerge from the basement and things get even more interesting. We have a young couple Tom and Judy (Keith Wayne and Judith Ridley), and a family of three, Harry and Helen Cooper (Karl Hardman and Marilyn Eastman) and their injured daughter Karen (Kyra Schon). Harry is a weaselly grump who challenges every decision Ben makes. Should they all hole up in the basement, or work together to board up the house? Try and go for help, or wait out the sieging mob? Accordingly, the conflict INSIDE the farm house becomes every bit as tense as the danger outside. So just how DO you get rid of hundreds of living dead, munching human flesh, all over the Eastern third of the United States? Do the inhabitants of the farm house survive the night? When the credits roll, you'll know the answers and understand why this flick is recognized around the world as a true horror classic.

Notables: Two breasts. Eight dead bodies. Hordes of living dead. 17 gallons blood. Tire iron fu. Flaming ghoul. Gunshot to the stomach. One right cross. Fingers roll. Bug eating. One three-star general. Molotov cocktail fu. Corpse bonfire. Multiple bullets to the brainpan. Exploding truck. Trowel fu. Zombie barbecue.

Quotables: Johnny taunts his frightened sister, "They're coming to get you, Barbra ... Look! There comes one of them now!" Overheard during news reports, "We don't know what kind of murder-happy creatures we have here" and "Kill the brain, and you kill the ghoul." Ben doesn't think hiding in the basement is such a good idea, "If you're stupid enough to go die in that trap, that's your business. However, I am NOT stupid enough to follow you. It is tough for the kid that her old man is so stupid. Now, get the hell down in the cellar. You can be the boss down there. I'M the boss up here!" Probably the best lines are from Chief McClelland, and are said to have been improvised, "Put that one all the way in the fire, we don't want it gettin up again" and "Yeah, they're dead. They're ALL messed up."

Time codes: The first zombie appears (5:45). "Fire BAAADDDD!!!" (20:10). Radio news reports detail the extent of the crisis (32:30). The famous nekkid undead chick (46:43). TV report suggests radiation from Venus probe may be the cause (56:00). McClelland leads his ghoul extermination squad (1:19:00).

Audio/Video: Beautiful fullframe, black and white print. What makes the transfer even more astonishing, is the fact that the original master and other reels were lost during a flood. Coincidentally, they were stored in the same basement featured in the movie. Surviving theatrical prints were duped and reduped -- transferred to video and duped all over again. (An indecency the film endured once it fell into public domain.) The image quality deteriorated to the point graphically illustrated by Elite's false start of the film. Through the years, critics even acknowledged the filmmakers' documentary style -- in reference to the degraded image, but in reality, the original image had been quite pristine. That's not to say the disc is flawless. In a handful of scenes, the picture freezes momentarily, due to the fact that even with the best source material available, some frames were either lost or damaged. However, the instances are so minor, it barely warrants mention. The THX audio track sounds good as well. Ambient noises like rolling thunder and crickets chirping are especially crisp.

Extras: Two commentary tracks. The first with co-writer/director George Romero, co-writer John (or Jack) Russo and cast members Karl Hardman and Marilyn Eastman (The Coopers). The second with additional members of the cast: Bill Hinzman (Cemetery zombie), Judith O'Dea (Barbra), Russell Streiner (Johnny), Keith Wayne (Tom), Kyra Schon (Karen Cooper) and Vince Survinski (the "I heard a noise" gunman). Each are great to hear as the old colleagues get back together and reminisce. The tracks highlight what a group effort the movie was -- down to set dressing and actors mixing sound. I actually enjoyed the second track a bit more than the first, as the group was much more lively. But the first track is more technically oriented with interesting trivia mixed in. Beyond the commentaries are theatrical and television trailers. Plus examples of commercials produced by Image Ten, Inc. (which most of the cast and crew worked for in some way or another). And my favorite extra, Kevin O'Brien's 8-minute student film Night of the Living Bread (1990). It's hilarious and a clever addition to the disc. The only negative criticism I can really offer is in regard to the disc's packaging -- there's no insert card or liner notes and the disc itself is plainly labeled. A real missed opportunity.

Final thought: The movie that spawned countless copists and spoofs. The word "classic" is often tossed around too easily, but in the case of this picture, the label is wholly deserved. Elite's disc is an absolute must-have for any self-respecting Drive-In Mutant. Collector Series.

------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY: A study in addiction
MY DVD TALK REVIEWS: Blood, Breasts and Beasts
FANGORIA CON: Weekend of Horrors