DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Rudy SE

Old 09-30-00, 12:44 AM

This is a movie not only for Notre Dame and football fans, but a film for inspiring people to try their hardest when trying to live their dream.

Video quality: This is another great anamorphic transfer by Columbia/Tristar. This disc displays bright and vivid colors with very little dirt and dust from the print. Shapes and objects are very sharp with hardly any edge artifacting or shimmering. Grade:A-

Sound quality: This is a very nice Dolby 5.1 soundtrack. The surrounds aren't very active in this movie, but the musical score adds a suitable atmosphere. Voices are clear and distinct. The noises from tackling hits are pretty aggressive most of the time. Grade:B

Extras: There are three short featurettes, one with the real Rudy and the other with Sean Astin. Two bonus trailers are included-Brian's Song and Jerry Maguire? but no trailer for Rudy. There is also talent files for the director and three of the main actors. No commentary track is present either. Grade: C

Overall: I was happy with the video and sound quality of this DVD but a little disappointed with the extras. Wouldn't it have been nice to have the real Rudy give a commentary track for this disc? This DVD is recommended and gets an overall grade of B.
Old 09-30-00, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still have not viewed my copy yet...thanks for the info!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-02-00, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also give you thanks for the info, I originally heard the soundtrack wasn't going to be 5.1, glad to hear that it is.

------------------
Long live the fighters!!!
Old 10-03-00, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a student at ND right now--I guess I'd better pick this one up. :-) (Although they do seem to show the movie on campus every other week--which isn't too surprising since most of the movie seems like a commercial for the school). Anyways, the real Rudy came to speak at one of our pep rallies this year--and now it's harder to enjoy the movie as much. ;-) He seems like a big dork. (Kidding...sort of). Everyone on campus felt like saying, "Hey! You're not Sean Astin!"
Old 10-03-00, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished viewing my copy...great transfer!!! As good as when I viewed it years ago....great story!!! Watched the real story of Rudy..still have to watch the featurette!!! Nice dvd!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife