Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Supernova... is a super peice of crap

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Supernova... is a super peice of crap

Old 08-20-00, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nuff said. the movie lacked in every aspect. just looking at the deleted scenes shows that they did not know how to go about it. at some points it seems like a star logged type of thing by nick, and others its just some aliens/species hybred that comes very very short to the mark.. its a peice of crap. stay away from it.
Old 08-20-00, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...thank you, Jackskeleton, for this penetrating critique...

! !

Old 08-20-00, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the movie was terrible. just didn't see what was the point. with a crappy ending (both the deleted and the one kept)
the deleted scenes could make up a whole new movie itself.
Old 08-20-00, 07:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
SuperSh!t
Old 08-20-00, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

damn straight gizmo. supernova-CA CA
Old 08-21-00, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the crappiest sci-fi movies of the year, along with Battlefield Earth and Mission To Mars.

------------------
"I've done some...questionable things, but nothing the God of biomechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for."

- Blade Runner
Old 08-21-00, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
I recommend reading up on the history of the project. It sounds as if Supernova actually could've been something other than an incoherent mess.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jackskeleton:
the movie was terrible. just didn't see what was the point. with a crappy ending (both the deleted and the one kept)
the deleted scenes could make up a whole new movie itself.
<HR>

------------------
My DVD list | My homepage
Old 08-21-00, 11:53 PM

This looks like more like a movie review than a dvd review. The dvd is superb, image and sound speaking: crisp, superb colors, lots of depth. A tad of grain here and there but no real problem.
The DD 5.1 kicks some serious moments, well done, wide front stage, very good LFE.
The movie itself is a poor but inevitable result of 3 directors messing up...Basset and Spader try to do what they can....
Old 08-22-00, 01:12 AM

Hey I had to suffer through this pile of dung at the theaters the day it opened! As if that wasn't bad enough my wife made me watch the DVD on Saturday night! Why on earth is she torturing this soul? She's a James Spader fan.

------------------

movies & music

*New Radiohead CD, Kid A, out 10/3!*
Old 08-23-00, 04:58 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to the theater to see Any Given Sunday on night last year and it was a 10pm show and they had not sold any tickets to it so they offered me Supernova for free so they did not have to stay late for one person. I didn't want to keep them there so I agreed even though I never had heard of Supernova. I can only sum this up like so -- even seeing Supernova for free I paid too much! What a boring, stupid piece of crap.

Still have not seen Any Given Sunday and I know a lot here say that sucks too.
Old 08-24-00, 04:52 AM

This is the worst movie in recent memory. Most bad movies have their moments. The only thing(s) worth a look here are Robin Tunney's breasts....
Old 08-24-00, 06:45 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lush:
This is the worst movie in recent memory. Most bad movies have their moments. The only thing(s) worth a look here are Robin Tunney's breasts....<HR>

Agreed. They were very perky and nice!
Old 08-26-00, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

yup to bad it sucked so bad they had to ace her off first.. man this movie just stunk to high heavens..
Old 08-26-00, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Rented SuperNova last night. Pretty sh!tty!! At least with Battlefield Earth and Mission to Mars, there were scenes that were funny(unintentionally) and provided a different kind of entertainment (they were still bad though). With Supernova, I felt nothing at all while watching it! It was like I was asleep with my eyes open! DO NOT SEE THIS SH!T AT ALL!!

------------------
"It's the one that says bad mutha ****a on it!"

[This message has been edited by Jules Winfield (edited August 26, 2000).]
Old 08-27-00, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

i'm sorry you had to live through that shyte jules.. it is terrible indeed.
Old 08-28-00, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know ... I kind of liked it ... although I still don't know exactly what to think about this film.

I own the DVD. I purchased it before seeing the film because of Spader. I think he was great in StarGate ... and I thought seeing him in another Sci-Fi film would be good. (I mean after seeing too much of him in Crash ... I hoped he would do something better ... can't wait for the new film .. The Watcher ... with Spader and Keanue to come out).

I had heard that it was sooo bad ... that I really wasn't expecting much at all. Instead the movie had a lot of Sci-Fi things that I really enjoy. I like all that theoretical language and gadgets. I guess I love space movies in general.

I agree that the movie has problems ... and it is not as good as it probably could have been ... but really ... it isn't THAT bad ... (I can't compare to Travolta's Sci-Fi misadventure ... cause I haven't gotten around to seeing that one yet) ...

This movie has action ... I did not find it boring. Maybe some parts were slow ... but there was action too ...

I did see Mission to Mars ... I guess you have to know how De Palma (the director) works to be prepared for this film. MTM is one of the most even (in pacing) movies I have seen (right up there with 2001: A Space Oddessy). The "action" sequences in MTM are the same pace/speed/"slow" as the "non-action" scenes. I did NOT feel this way watching Supernova. Nothing is wrong with "slow" movies ... I like them sometimes ... when I am in the mood for them ... but for Sci-Fi ... I like my films to be a rollercoaster ... tense moments followed or preceeded by lots of action ...

Well ... I hope I don't get too flammed for this post. I don't know if I will be checking back on this thread to see what is posted after me ... but I just wanted to give my two cents worth ..

(I am 24 ... and starting my Ph.D. program in communications ... with an emphasis in film ... but I really don't know much about films yet ... even though my M.A. was in Film - Critical studies ... this post is just personal opinion ... )
Old 08-29-00, 04:08 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
This film was TERRIBLE. Can anyone believe
that this actually went through 4 different
directors, only to have the credited
director, Thomas Lee, non-existant.
Old 08-30-00, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

this movie was the bottom of the barrel.. a piece of crap indeed.
Old 09-01-00, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can anyone tell me what is in the deleted scenes? You can tell huge chunks of the movie must have been changed or removed just by the way the story starts with no backstory and how seemingly important characters have no description or backstory or development.

I heard the robot also used to have a bigger part...
Old 09-01-00, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

the deleted major scene was more sex scenes, playing tennis with the caption, and then nick(i think that was his name, don't care to remember this horror anymore) finding a "fetus like" person in the mine, who really is the chicks husband. he was turned young or something. then he dies.. that is what is in the suit that the evild dude shoots a spear at when nick gets to the ship. also, the ending is more like, it is burning the world... and it will reach earth in 200 years or so.. blah. total crap indeed.
Old 09-01-00, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

****Possible SPOILERS*****

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jackskeleton:
the deleted major scene was more sex scenes, playing tennis with the caption, and then nick(i think that was his name, don't care to remember this horror anymore) finding a "fetus like" person in the mine, who really is the chicks husband. he was turned young or something. then he dies.. that is what is in the suit that the evild dude shoots a spear at when nick gets to the ship. also, the ending is more like, it is burning the world... and it will reach earth in 200 years or so.. blah. total crap indeed.<HR>

Ok ... so you really DIDN'T like this movie

Of course it sounds like you didn't follow it that well either. (I enjoy Sci-Fi so follwing all that was going on was no problem for me ... and I actually found it quite enjoyable - see my post above).

Correction to your post :
This "chick's husband" was really the guy who came on board. The "fetus" thing discovered on the planet was really the son (of the guy who came on board). The discovered item changes those who come incontact with it. ...

Understand? Although I guessed these things before the film explained them ... I still enjoyed the film for what it IS. Yes it could be better (believe it or not it could also be much worse ..) . But after hearing HOW BAD everyone said it was ... and then actually watching it ... my expectations were so low ... that I actually enjoyed the film.

Maybe others will now have the same experience I did ... expecting a total flop ... watch it ... and kind of enjoy it for what it is ... ???

Old 09-02-00, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Worse movie EVER!
Old 09-02-00, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jackskeleton - I love your indepth analytical critiques of what makes this movie sooo bad ...

And the pictures help soo much to add to the points your are making. How do you come up with such insightful reviews of the films you watch ??

(Of course I mean no offense. I used to debate with a guy on here named NsaiN ... he would say a movie was bad ... but give no good reasons for why the movie was not good in his opinion ... I just don't want to see other getting in the bad habit of saying a film is bad and not giving at least a few solid well thought out and reasoned points on what makes the film worse than other films ...)
Old 09-02-00, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

ok, to get a little indepth.. this movie from the get go starts to feel like an aliens knock off. and i don't mind if a movie takes elements from another movie, but then they kill off the capt. in a weak manner, never getting indepth on why nick is going to be the commanding officer. then the whole love spin comes to play, if you want to make a slasher movie. create more victums. it is easy to see that they had no chance. the ending in itself was very weak, and to predictable. i mean, their is no way to destroy it.. yet take it back home and let it burn up the galaxy.. it just didn't cut it. it left me empty. as for the whole extras. the deleted scenes were very wrongly taken out. atleast they could have added half of those scenes to make it some what more indepth on the ord being powerful that greed is really a part of it.
Old 09-02-00, 08:21 PM

Movie is crap. Sucked...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.