Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Rocketeer Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-99, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've waited a long time for a widescreen version of this film to become available (I was VHS-only before getting into DVD). The transfer seems clear and the 2.35:1 ratio was appreciated.

That said, this disc is as basic as they come. No frills, aside from the original trailer (And if I recall, this is the second trailer. I think the first trailer used some Wrath of Khan temp music.). What's there is good, but it would have been nice to see more extras, given how long I've waited to pick up this film.

--Rob
Old 08-20-99, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't watched this DVD all the way through yet (just skipped around a bit), but I agree with Rob. Good looking disc, great sound, but I would have liked a few more bells and whistles.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but was it one of the trailers or a TV spot (or both?) that ended with a shot of the Rocketeer (live action) that then blended to a cool looking drawing of him. I can still visualize that, and I remember the exact scene near the end that they used, but they didn't use that trailer on the DVD (or the previous laserdisc).

Anyway, this is a very fun movie (kind of like "The Phantom" only better) and James Horner's soundtrack sounds fantastic on this DVD!
Old 08-22-99, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched my copy and I was a little disappointed by the transfer. Audio is good, but video is a little grainy. Not bad. I just expected it to be better.
Old 08-18-00, 11:06 PM

Any news of a reissue yet? Extra content & 16X9?

------------------

movies & music

Anxiously awaiting the new Radiohead CD, Kid A which comes out on my birthday.
Old 08-19-00, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by gotdvd?:
Extra content & 16X9?
<HR>

I’d settle for more Jennifer Connelly in the way of "enhanced extra content". Why is this woman not a massive star?

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 08-19-00, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the transfer was decent...no complaints here!!!
Old 08-20-00, 03:17 AM

I strongly disagree with the positive assessments of the picture quality; for such a recent movie, I thought "The Rocketeer" looked very bad. Parts are much too soft while other scenes show excessive edge enhancement; it's hard to make a movie that's both too sharp and too soft, but this is it. The sound is good, but it includes virtually no extras.

Here's a link to my full review:
http://www.dvdmg.com/rocketeer.html

Old 08-20-00, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jennifer Connelly just hasn't starred in a too many box office hits, so it's probably a movie script choosing problem, plus, what she gets offered is probably still in the "bombshell of the movie" roles. I read she regretted doing Mulholland Falls (been away from making movies, and wanted to get her feet wet again, and MF rolled around and she jumped at it). Anyhow, she's one beautiful woman.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 08-20-00, 07:23 PM

I really enjoy this movie, but I was very disappointed when I bought the DVD. I knew going in that the video was non-amamorphic, but it was worse that I imagined and I agree with the comments about the softness and the grain. The sound is DD 2.0 only. No extras. I traded it away hoping that it will be re-released later as a SE with better video and audio. A big thumbs down to Disney for its lackluster treatment of this movie on DVD.
Old 08-22-00, 06:50 PM

I thought the audio was pretty good, but the video looked bad too me. Lots of grain and shimmering and tons of artifacts. Disney's usual lousy job. Extras were sparse as well. Jennifer Connelly deserves better!

------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"