Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Quick review of Buzz Lightyear from Star Command.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Quick review of Buzz Lightyear from Star Command.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-00, 05:04 AM
Topgun94

For a direct to video release this is an excellent DVD. I received it today and my son has already watched it 3 times, so its a great DVD for kids. It is not only widescreen, but is also in DD 5.1. The story itself is nothing unexpected. Buzz battles against Zurg, and so on. However, the story is full of little jokes and one liners and I laughed out loud several times. It really makes the movie fun for kids and adults. It also has a pixar computer animated intro with the toys getting excited about watching the video. If you are a Toy Story fan then this DVD is a must. It is not computer animated, but it is still full of the humor that made the Toy Story movies great. 7/10

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 08-06-00, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh god, why did you have to watch that movie out of all animated films?
Old 08-06-00, 03:29 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by edytwinky:
Oh god, why did you have to watch that movie out of all animated films?<HR>

Actually I'm glad you reviewed this Topgun. I was thinking about getting this one, but didn't know whether it would good or not. Thanks!
Old 08-06-00, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The kids I babysitt for probably bought this on *shutter* VHS. So I might watch it.
Old 08-07-00, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Topgun94:
It is not only widescreen, but is also in DD 5.1.<HR>

Is it anamorphic?
Old 08-07-00, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, is it anamorphic. I have never seen either of the Toy Story films. I want this disc because of the ride at Disney! hehehehe
Old 08-07-00, 10:07 PM
Topgun94

Its not anamorphic. Disney needs to get with the program on that one.
Old 08-08-00, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone listened to the commentary track yet? Any comments?

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs
Old 08-08-00, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did they get rid of the commentary that was supposed to be on it with Woody, Rex, and others? Also, why wouldn't a BRAND new movie be anamorphic? !!!!
Old 08-08-00, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the commentary is on Toy Story 2 not Buzz Lightyear.

[This message has been edited by darkside (edited August 08, 2000).]
Old 08-08-00, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No the announcement of "Buzz Lightyear" clearly mentioned a commentary from Woody, Rex, and the green aliens. It appears that at the last minute, they ditched this? Toy Story and Toy Story 2 will only have filmmakers' commentaries.
Old 08-08-00, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Your right. I found the old announcement. Guess they pulled a Disney on us.
Old 08-08-00, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The commentary isn't there?!? That's the only reason I was considering getting the disc!

Oh well, glad I didn't preorder this one...

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs
Old 08-09-00, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
WELL this disc is rather nice. considering the previews are actually skipable.. but worth one viewing. i say why not. story is ok. good dvd.
Old 08-10-00, 04:57 PM

This one lives up to a straight to video release. A very generic story line.Buzz and company lumber through this tired story, thanfully it's over fairly quickly. The video quality is quite good as is the audio. Rent before you buy, I doubt even my eight year old will ever want to watch this a second time.
Old 08-12-00, 02:38 PM

Jabba, "Buzz" is most definitely NOT anamorphic, although you'd think it would be since the ratio's 1.78:1...
Old 08-13-00, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Oatsdad:
Jabba, "Buzz" is most definitely NOT anamorphic, although you'd think it would be since the ratio's 1.78:1...<HR>

What's annoying is that since it's a brand new release, making it anamorphic should have been simple (and a no-brainer). What's even more annoying is that their "widescreen" presentation seems really nothing more than the fullframe seen on the VHS with black bars on top and bottom covering a portion of the animation.

Old 08-15-00, 05:23 AM

This is Disney we're discussing. There's no such thing as "simple" or "logical" at that studio...
Old 08-16-00, 12:17 AM

Here's my quick review of the dvd.

In an attempt to promote the upcoming Buzz Lightyear cartoon series and fill a gap in the Toy Story series (namely "what is the Buzz Lightyear toy based on?") Disney released "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command - The Adventure Begins starring Tim Allen" (yes, that is supposed to be the full title of the movie).
The story to the movie is amusing but not well written. The fact that it makes references to sci-fi genre films would have been nice if it weren't for the fact that almost all the references are directed towards the Star Wars saga and very little else. The plotline is highly predictable and the only thing that carries the movie is the acting talent.

The video is non-anamorphic widescreen matted at 1.78:1. The picture quality is sharp and clear but the lack of an anamorphic transfer for no apparent reason is a dissapointment. The animation is basic TV-quality and looks like any of Disney's daytime cartoons. The sound is the only real positive to this "movie". It is a full 5.1 surround mix rather than the 2.0 stereo of a standard TV cartoon.
The extras on the DVD consist of a whole bunch of trailers for other movies and a few mini-games that are really just a clever way to hide the fact that they are advertising the cartoon series to the viewer even more.