Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted for: Princess Bride (1987)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted for: Princess Bride (1987)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-00, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lokimok:
I remember all the teenage-wannabe-witch-girls loving this movie<HR>

Ugh.. I had those in high school too. The ones that wear those medieval dresses, whitish and purple, braiding their hair like its a crown around there head, and always giggling with their other wannabe-medieval-princess friends.

If they could be teleported back to the dark ages, and have the luxury of eating bread made with feces in it, getting raped by the invading clan, and carrying huge buckets of water around, I'm pretty sure they'd snap out of it.
Old 07-15-00, 12:07 AM

Calistoga,

This movie is so good that at one point in time, I practically knew each line by heart. Very high on the rewatchability meter! The first viewing was my absolute favorite viewing, and that was when it first came out on vhs back in the late 80's. I was about 13 then. Just be a kid at heart when you watch it. I saw it a couple of months ago on TV, and simply put away all my tasks to watch it again. It'll suck you in!
Old 07-16-00, 07:36 PM
Cool New Member

Problem: IT IS NOT ANAMORPHIC. Therefore, IMO, you should not buy it. Instead, wait for the rerelease which should be. That way, you won't have to toss it in 3 years when you have an HDTV.

-Rob
Old 07-18-00, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
quote:<HR>Originally posted by DodgingCars:
Its based on a book, which I've never read, so I can't compare the two.

<HR>

I read the book in high school, and although the movie is excellent, the book is still at least 5x better. It had me rolling with laughter every other page. I highly recommend it, though I'm not sure how easy it would be to find. I don't think it's been reprinted recently (could be wrong).

Tuan Jim

------------------
My mommy always said there were no monsters. No real ones. But there are.

-- Newt
Old 07-18-00, 04:53 AM

Just got done watching it and I must say I was quite impressed with the video quality. If you are a fan of this movie, You will love this DVD. THE AUDIO in 5.1 was perfection!
Beautiful print, well done!

It's one for your collection.
Old 07-19-00, 12:42 AM

Wait for the SE next year
Old 07-19-00, 07:30 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lokimok:
This might be the best "fantasy" movie ever. Where Willow & Legend fail, this succeeds.
[/B]<HR>

I think I would rate Excalibur, Conan the Barbarian, and Dragonslayer way above this as far as fantasy goes. Princess Bride is more of a comedy/swashbuckler anyway. Still the film looks good (in its' non-anamorphic glory!) and is really entertaining, just skip that damn Billy Crystal scene. Is it just me that can't stand his jokes?!
Old 07-29-00, 12:54 AM

Yes, I owned this on LD.

Yes, I own this on DVD.

Sure, there are better extras on the LD, but I can take the dvd a lot of places (including in my laptop) that make it much more convenient.

Oh no! Another version to come out possibly sometime next year with more stuff on the dvd? Gosh, I'll have to save $1 per month to be able to afford it! Maybe even $2 per month if it is slated for January! At twelve bucks, if you like the movie I don't see the point in waiting.

Assuming such a version will come out, I'll be able to watch this 20-30 times at various peoples houses, providing much comedic enlightement and fun. Not many people have LD's, and they aren't easy to transport like a DVD.

(That said, there are some interesting comments on IGN's website about how the full-frame format shows more top-to-bottom size than the widescreen; the widescreen edition apparenlty cuts some stuff off. Go figure.)

------------------
Oh, you mean THIS gate key!
Old 07-29-00, 01:15 AM

BUTTERCUP" We'll never survive."

WESTLEY "Nonsense -- you're only saying that because no one ever has."

It's a great film. I've bought the just released dvd, and will buy the SE edition when it's released...

Old 07-29-00, 02:02 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tuan Jim:
I read the book in high school, and although the movie is excellent, the book is still at least 5x better. It had me rolling with laughter every other page. I highly recommend it, though I'm not sure how easy it would be to find. I don't think it's been reprinted recently (could be wrong).
<HR>

Acctually, Amazon has it. I just bought it from there a few months ago.

As for the DVD/Movie. It and Ghostbusters were my favorite movies as a kid. I have watched Princess Bride every couple of months for about 8 years. Still love it. DVD is in Widescreen and 5.1 Surround. Print is great, sound is excellent. My full review is in the DVDtalk reviews DB.

-Jeff
Old 08-02-00, 04:31 PM
Cool New Member

Just watched this last night with my wife for the first time since it first came out on video. It was GREAT!

We loved it.

Only complaint was that the original print was not in perfect condition.. I'm definitely going to get the SE when it comes out next year...

Old 08-03-00, 06:37 PM

Now I don't want to get off on a rant here, but... - Dennis Miller.

Someone PLEASE tell me why they insist on torturing us this way? MGM should be shot for what they are doing with Princess Bride just like Columbia/Tristar should be shot for Dogma and Di$ney for Tarzan, Scream, Shakespeare in Love, Good Will Hunting, From Dusk til Dawn, etc...

We love these movies. We want these movies. The features exist. If they didn't, they wouldn't have had them for the LD versions. To force us to buy them twice is rediculous... and yes, force is the word.

Studios, if we love a film (and your insiders know which ones are cult classics/major purchases. Don't pretend you don't. VHS sales tell you that much.) and you plan on putting out a Special Edition, give us the option to choose from both rather than having this "bilking window". Announcing it doesn't change matters. If we love it we buy it just to satisfy that craving until the Spec Ed. comes out. Then we've paid twice and have this bitter taste in our mouths about the first one, or disdain for the company. Why push the bad PR envelope?

You ask why we are so anti Di$ney? This is it, bub. Get used to it. You can only get kicked so many times before you start to avoid the kicker. As for myself, I wait 8 months after Disney/Miramax/Touchstone/Buena Vista releases ANY title to make sure another isn't waiting around in the wings. By that time, I can get it on Half.com if it isn't happenning. If it is, I can pre-order what SHOULD'VE been offerred to begin with. Shame on you, MGM. First no anamorphics THEN this kind of stiffing? How do you sleep at night?

Movie of *****
Sound **** of ***** (Surrounds not used to their full potential, and the remix could've been more positional, but forgivable otherwise)
Bonus features of ***** (Production notes, Trailer and chapter selection? Gimme a freakin' break!)

Of all my DVD's, I love my Warner/New Line's the most. (And Paramount can go suck eggs so far as I'm concerned...) Hell, even Artisan tries harder than MGM. How sad is that?

(Hitting the Prozac feeder bar.) I'm better now...

Pæz...

------------------
"Cleve-Land. Perfectly strange name for a perfectly strange... planet."

My contribution to the Open DVD movement.
Old 08-04-00, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i loved it. two thumbs up.