Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Rushmore: Criterion Collection ... !!WOW!!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Rushmore: Criterion Collection ... !!WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-00, 07:25 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my Rushmore: Criterion Collection ... I'm dazzeled. The extras are terrific, but what really love about it is the presentation ... the packaging and the splash screens are really cool. I have several DVDs now, but this one is the first that really seems to be designed by someone who understands the film ... and not just a rehash of the poster art. Very cool.

I just watched the Charlie Rose interviews and the Max Fisher Players shorts done for MTV. Greatness. Can't wait to listen to the commentary with Wes and the great Owen Wilson.

Noel

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans

Old 01-24-00, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed! Rushmore Criterion is amazing!
Old 01-24-00, 11:28 PM

X3...Loved it too!!!!!

Al

------------------
"No, Lieutenant, your men are already dead."http://www.dvdtracker.com/~inkman.asp

[This message has been edited by inkman (edited January 24, 2000).]
Old 01-25-00, 08:56 AM

You can read my review of the film and all of the extras at the link below.

DVD Review: Rushmore - Criterion Collection
Old 01-26-00, 03:57 AM
Banned

Worst cover art I've seen in my life!
Old 01-27-00, 03:10 AM
Cool New Member

Best cover art I've seen in my life!

It totally fits the theme of the movie. It's great to see some thought put into a package design that complements the movie. The illustrations kicked butt, the obvious solution would have been to illustrate it in a Drew Struzan style instead of these that look like they could have been done by Max Fischer himself. Sic transit gloria.

------------------
"Let me explain to him in simple arithmetic, 1-2-3, 'cause you don't f***in get it Bert!"

Old 01-27-00, 04:58 PM

This DVD is perfect!!
Old 01-27-00, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh man - all these praise makes me wish I'd picked this title up on pre-order. Oh well, hopefully a deal will come my way.
Old 01-29-00, 04:42 PM

I just watched Rushmore last night and was very disappointed in the movie. It was pleasant but forgettable. I can see some superficial similarities between it and Election but I found Election to be incredibly witty and fresh (in fact, it was one of my 1999 favorites) whereas Rushmore was mostly dull and uninteresting. I'll be getting rid of my copy of the Criterion DVD in a hurry. (I should add, though, that Criterion did an incredible job of putting together a rock-solid collector's edition! I wish they put this kind of effort into ALL their DVDs.)

Gerhard
Old 01-29-00, 04:59 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Your loss, Gerhard. I'm your opposite, because I found Election about as entertaining as you found Rushmore. I thought Election had about two laughs ... one of them was a sight gag, and the other one I can't remember, but I know I laughed another time. And I generally enjoy dark films.

I'm surprised more people don't compare Rushmore to classic Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Now there's something for you to compare and contrast in your next film class.

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans

Old 01-29-00, 06:58 PM

GBOCK... wanna get rid of it send me an e-mail as to how much $$ you want for it.

Pete
Old 01-29-00, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow! I saw this movie for the first time last night, and it was great. The funniest movie I've seen in a long, long time; my favorite movie of 1998. I actaully watched it twice last night. Bill Murray is incredibly good; easily his best performance ever. The DVD is great too; great transfer, great extras.

BTW, I also found Election to be rather obvious and unfunny (though I did watch it on an airplane, so I was watching an edited version).
Old 01-30-00, 12:22 AM

Rushmore was slow and corny. Bill Murray is my favorite comedian...I have seen better.

Glad I only RENTED this one!

Old 01-30-00, 02:13 AM

I didn't say that this was Bill Murray's funniest role (that would be Caddyshack), but rather that he is actually a good actor in this movie, rather than just a funny guy.
Old 01-30-00, 04:01 PM

Don't forget about Bill in Kingpin. He made the movie for me. Loved that mop he had flopping all over during the last match between him and Woody.

Al

------------------
"No, Lieutenant, your men are already dead."http://www.dvdtracker.com/~inkman.asp
Old 02-02-00, 01:02 PM

portion of email sent to a friend who inquired about the audio commentary on rushmore: criterion

"probably the most disappointing thing on the rushmore criterion is the commentary. it was recorded at different times so they just spliced together what they thought were the best parts of each commentator. which sucks cuz they don't get a chance to play off each other and what not. which is why it sounds kinda lifeless. anderson has some interesting things to say and wilson and schwartzman are pretty funny in parts but i definitely woulda preferred them in a single session. other than that, the disc is great. the mtv shorts are hilarious. after watching audition tapes, no one else coulda played magnus or margaret yang. i didn't think schwartzman's audition was very good. he changed his take on max quite a bit from audition to screen. or it coulda just been anderson's direction."

great movie, great dvd. except when charlie rose kept asking bill murray about hollywood agents and "the business." he's there to talk about rushmore, ya bastard.

if you haven't heard the commentary on election by director alexander payne, it's a gem.
Old 05-15-00, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
watched my copy yesterday. this was my 2nd time to watch Rushmore & i enjoyed it much more the 2nd time. it is a movie that definitely grows on you. plus, this disc has tons of awesome extras.

i saw the above posts comparing it to Election. i also saw this movie for the first time the other day. i dont know if i would even compare the 2 movies. they seem very different. i enjoyed Rushmore much more but Election did have its charm. the big difference is that i would not buy Election.
Old 05-15-00, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rushmore and Election are both very dark satires, but I have very different feelings about the films.

All of the characters in Rushmore were quirky and awkward, but they were real people with strengths and weaknesses.

Election simply mocked most of the characters, especially Matthew Broderick, who didn't have a single redeeming characteristic. They all came off as pathetic and two-dimensional. Also, most of Election showed Broderick getting shat upon; his character just lost control and his life fell apart. I didn't find a lot of entertainment value here.

- David Stein
Old 05-17-00, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally... I loved both election and rushmore. I was disappointed in the commentary though... probably because it was pieced together and not done with all the responsible parties at the same time... both would be in my top 100 of all time though.
Old 05-17-00, 09:44 PM
Topgun94

Yeah, but can you imagine how much better this disc would have been if Anchor Bay did it.

Sorry I just felt this Criterion discusion was kind of empty without that comment from Zombie.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 05-17-00, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Topgun94, there are no Walking Dead in this movie so Anchor Bay would have no reason to release it.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 05-18-00, 01:47 PM

i just want to mention that the commentary is really funny! i liked it more than i liked the austin powers commentaries... don't expect too much substance from it.. just expect entertaining stories from owen..

------------------
Yee hah, cowboy!
Mmm, sacrilicious...
Dr. Ring-Ding's DVDs
Old 08-03-00, 03:32 AM

weird. i loved rushmore, but i didnt laugh throughout it, NOT ONCE. maybe cuz i watched it alone in my pajamas?
Old 08-03-00, 03:55 AM
Hoc

OK, my reaction to this is that the extras must be spectacular, because IMO the movie sucked.
Old 08-03-00, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Election and Rushmore are two of my favorite movies. Both witty and disturbing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.