DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: The 'Burbs

Old 07-10-00, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 894 Likes on 554 Posts
well, i got this movie in a trade & watched it last night. i hadn't seen this movie in quite awhile but was pleasantly surprised at how much it made me laugh & smile.

this was a film that Tom Hanks did right before he became "superman dramatic actor." it is a silly movie but my wife & i found it to be very enjoyable. i dont think it made much money at the box office in 1989 but i remember it coming out.

it deals with surburban life, nosey neighbors & weird neighbors. being a recent first time house buyer, i found more in common with this movie this when i had seen it before. Bruce Dern is pretty funny as is Rick Ducommun.

the transfer is widescreen anamorphic (1.85:1), is surprisingly good & clean and the sound is dolby surround. this is probably the best this movie will ever see, so if you are a big fan, it is definitely worth buying. the really strange thing is the inclusion of an alternate ending which is not listed as being on the dvd on the case. i will not give it away but it is almost completely different from the original ending. most of the dialogue & action is completely different. there are also some production notes, cast info, & the trailer.

again, this is not a movie i would highly recommend you run out & buy, but if you have seen it before & liked it, or if you are a huge Tom Hanks fan, this is a nice disc to add to your collection.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 07-10-00, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this flick.

It's the type of movie where if you know someone who has seen it alot, you can trade lines back and forth all day long.

"...one of them beef sandwiches..."

"Smells like somebody's cookin' a goddamned cat over there."

etc., etc.
Old 07-10-00, 07:27 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'Burbs is probably my favorite movie of all time. I just watched it for the millionth time the other day. I never get tired of it. I have a theory that the world can be divided into two types of people: those who like The 'Burbs and those who don't. If you have not seen the film, I HIGHLY recommend that you do so immediately; so that you may determine which group you are in and act appropriately (i.e. stay away from me).

Of course, I'm saying the above a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I do recommend watching it at least once. It isn't for everyone apparently (can't see why). I do find that, personality-wise, I get along better with 'Burbs lovers.

God I love this movie.