Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Chasing Amy Criterion.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Chasing Amy Criterion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-00, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well?

------------------
Warriors! Come out to play-iy-ayy!
Why I go Dutch on dates.
Old 06-22-00, 07:20 AM

First impression, good DVD, great xfer to the disk, good soundtracks, even the dialogue with Smith, Affleck, et al. is pretty darn good at explaining the scenes and comes off as pretty natural and off the cuff with its rough language at times, and friendly jibes towards one another. :-)

Some of the things, like the deleted scenes, are directly from the laser disc apparently, as in the intro. to the deleted scenes, Ben makes reference to us sitting back and watching the laser disc.

Here's a question I am pretty sure I know the answer too, but want to ask anyways. Criterion doesnt do "sets" (atleast I can't recall them doing any series's to date) so am I safe to assume the normal "collectors editions" of Mallrats, and Clerks are not going to up and have Criterion Editions come out? This would p@ss me off if I purchase these disks already on shelfs and they get criterion listed in the future.

All-in-all, I think a great movie, deserving of a criterion stamp. 4.5 stars out of 5 just for content. 4.5 stars for the movie as a whole.

Cheers.
Old 06-22-00, 05:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Great movie, great disc. The commentary is okay, but not nearly as good as the Clerks and Mallrats commentaries.

I mean, seriously, how many times to we have to be told that Jason Lee is a "genius?"
Old 06-22-00, 06:18 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Groucho:
Great movie, great disc. The commentary is okay, but not nearly as good as the Clerks and Mallrats commentaries.

I mean, seriously, how many times to we have to be told that Jason Lee is a "genius?"
<HR>

Well, more times than that, cuz I certainly don't think that he is.

That aside, the Chasing Amy disc is a must buy if you like Kevin Smith's stories. This movie has more depth and less levity than his other movies. I still consider it the best of his movies that I have seen to date. The extras on this disc are very good, and substantial. Everything has an introduction -- even the color bars. I thought that the deleted scenes were not too interesting, although the intros to each of them was.
Old 06-22-00, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Here's a question I am pretty sure I know the answer too, but
want to ask anyways. Criterion doesnt do "sets" (atleast I can't
recall them doing any series's to date) so am I safe to assume
the normal "collectors editions" of Mallrats, and Clerks are not
going to up and have Criterion Editions come out?<HR>

Mallrats and Clerks DVD's are special editions of films from Universal and Disney, repsectively. They only license titles to Criterion that they don't have the time or resources to put the effort for SE content in themselves(eg. Armageddon, Chasing Amy, The Last Temptation of Christ, Do The Right Thing, Brazil, etc.)

So, no, there won't be Criterion releases of Mallrats or Clerks.
Old 06-23-00, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
i watched my copy tonight. very nice disc. the transfer is not the greatest but is passable. sound is adequate. 5.1 not really necessary for a movie like this but i will never reject a 5.1 track.

Chasing Amy is not my favorite Kevin Smith movie but i must admit that i liked this movie much more the 2nd time around. i prefer Clerks but the wife likes Chasing Amy & for her to like a movie like this says a lot.

the extras were pretty nice. did not listen to the commentary but i have not listened to an of the commentaries yet on any of the Jersey trilogy. i plan to have a Jersey trilogy weekend & watch the commentaries all in order one of these days.

the deleted scenes, i thought, were mostly interesting & some good dialogue in them. really enjoyed the outtakes.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 06-23-00, 10:14 PM
Topgun94

I liked Smith half-heartedly trying to explain away the F**K DVD comment like he didn't make it. He only repeated it twice during the commentary. Very good commentary and very good movie. The best of his first three, though Clerks will always be special in its own way. I thought Criterion did a great job of bringing the laserdisc version over to DVD.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 06-23-00, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else have a small vertical shimmer in the picture around 4:20 something in chapter 24? I think that's where it was. I watched it last night and caught a small jump in the picture during the conversation between Allysa and Holden at the comics convention at the end of the film. Just wanna make sure it's not my disc...

'E
Old 06-24-00, 01:57 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Groucho:
<HR>

My thoughts exactly. Besides going on and on about Lee's talents, the commentary was actually boring in parts as they repeatedly discussed their lame camera angle work.

------------------

my movies - my music
Old 06-24-00, 06:41 AM

gotdvd? - you just summerized the entire Mallrats commentary (Phantoms' Jason Lee and suspicious lack of camera movement). I think it is a running theme or something ;-). The Lee/Bad Camera Trilogy meets the New Jersey Trilogy or something.
Old 06-27-00, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the transfer looked like crap. My VHS version honestly looks better.
Old 06-28-00, 01:04 AM

All that aside, I think the framing on the transfer is off in a couple places. Almost all of the couch shots (on my tv, at least) have the right most character partially cut off, and there's a scene in the train station that cuts off the heads of Holden and Banky.

urgh.
Old 06-28-00, 02:41 AM

If you like the tragically hip, pretty actors with grating voices, endless monologues, boring and repetitive slang, completely uninspired direction,static camera work, and a mediocre experience; I would highly recommend this film (?)....
Old 06-28-00, 07:13 AM
Banned

great disc except for the formating of the wrong aspect ratio and not putting the original trailer are just unforgivable.

[This message has been edited by Frank Black (edited June 28, 2000).]