DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Talented Mr. Ripley

Old 06-24-00, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I've been reading on this forum for over a year, but this is my first actual post.
Let me first say that I think this was one of the top 3 or 4 movies to come out last year. The acting is some of the best you'll ever see by an ensemble cast. The cinematography is gorgeous, and the sets are authentic. Most importantly, this is for INTELLIGENT people. Don't expect some dumbed down thriller like "The Sixth Sense".
I received the this DVD this morning and had a chance to spin it today. This really is a wonderful disc. The picture is one of the best I've seen on a DVD to date, and the audio sounds fantastic as well. But don't expect any LFE effects, because there really are none.
The extras are as good as they come from Paramount. The commentary by Minghella is decent, yet very informative. There is a pretty good featurette, some cast interviews, a trailer, and two music videos.
I loved this disc.
Old 06-24-00, 12:48 AM

The disc may be good...but I personally did not enjoy this movie.
It was way too predictable, and very long and drawn out IMO. Sorry Fletch.

[This message has been edited by Carl Spackler (edited June 23, 2000).]
Old 06-24-00, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the review, John. This film also goes on my list of the top 10 films of 1999. I can't wait to pick this up on Tuesday. I think I'll bide my time by watching "Purple Noon" tonight.

Welcome to the board.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 06-24-00, 02:54 AM

Slow, yet satisfying.

------------------

my movies - my music
Old 06-24-00, 05:18 AM

I am looking forward to receiving this one too. I saw the film in the theater and thought it was 15 minutes too long, but I wanted to see it again right away. Hopefully my order from Reel will get transferred soon...I am really looking forward to hearing Minghella's commentary.
Old 06-24-00, 05:22 AM

*** SPOILER ALERT***

I forgot to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the plot of the film. I had not read the novel, and from the trailers, I thought it was just going to be a simple love triangle. I was a bit surprised when Tom killed off Dickie.
Old 06-24-00, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,883 Likes on 4,017 Posts
One of my faves of last year. Yes, it's a little disturbing and unsetteling, but I like that. This is certainly not your typical Hollywood period piece. I was stunned when it was not nominated for best picture and best actor Oscars. The Green Mile over this? Are you kidding me? Off subject, in the scene where Gweneth Paltrow meets Cate Blanchette's character, I was waiting for Cate to deck Gweneth in the face and say "Give me my Oscar, you bitch".
As far as that spoiler, mentioned above, it might have been a surprise if it wasn't shown in every trailer and TV spot for the film. Man, I hate when studios do that.
Old 06-24-00, 09:17 PM

You can read my review of the DVD at the link below.

DVD Review: The Talented Mr. Ripley