Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Delta/Laserlight, Old Titles

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Delta/Laserlight, Old Titles

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-00, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have recently purchased the following Delta Entertainment/Laserlight titles:

James Cagney, Blood on the Sun
Cary Grant, His Girl Friday
James Stewart, Made for Each Other
John Wayne, Angel & the Badman

While the transfers may not be perfect, they are not to bad (well, maybe Angel & the Badman, but I have heard all transfer of this are bad so I would guess its the source material).

All of the above mentioned titles also include an On Film/Biography for each actor that I think are all quite well done. And for the money, lets say 7.00 or less on-line, they come in handy when trying to make a coupon $ amount.

Almost forgot to mention they all include an introduction by Tony Curtis!!! and a trailer from a different movie from the actor. And they are all in Amaray cases!!! No snap and crap here!!!
Old 04-27-00, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
However (at least in the case of the Cagney film and I think the Delta Bogart DVD as well), Delta/Laserlight has started putting a transparent "bug" at the bottom of the screen every 10 minutes or so, like you often see on network television.

This is a new procedure for them (none of the Hitchcock titles have this) and something that will prevent me from buying any of their titles in the future. I realize that these are public domain films and they don't want other companies dubbing their prints, but I am not going to have a company logo burned onto any film that I purchase. I've practially stopped watching television because of these annoying things...

But, you're right -- Delta does a fantastic job transferring these films. Madacy they ain't!
Old 04-27-00, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You are right about the Delta Logo comming up every 10 minutes. While I dont like it, I guess I can live with it for the price unless they start putting them in snappers, like some of their titles are now.

Old 05-02-00, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Er...

You didn't make it clear, which Laserlight titles do come with that annoying "bug"? I was considering getting that Cary Grant/His Girl Friday DVD--got bugs?. I got the Laserlight Lady Vanishes DVD and found it to be quite acceptable for the price.
....and no bugs!
Old 05-02-00, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know from personal experience that the James Cagney and Humphrey Bogard DVDs have the bug (and none of the Hitchcock ones do).

I get the impression that all of the "double-feature" DVDs that have a film and then a documentary (including Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, etc.) have the bug. But, again, I can only confirm Cagney and Bogart.
Old 05-08-00, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks--I'll be wary of buying many Deltas in the future
Old 05-08-00, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But for 4.49 each when a free shipping weekend comes up at Buy.com, I would still have to buy Delta titles if its in-stock. I dont think most come up on Dvdpricesearch because they are listed at Buy.com as James Cagney and there is no product info just a 4.49 price, so far I havent been wrong. This was from the last 2 times they had free shipping weekends and prices might have changed since.
Old 05-21-00, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buy.Com has some more Delta Laserlight titles available for 4.49 and there is a free shipping coupon at dvdpricesearch till 5/31. I think all the titles I looked at were listed as a pre-order with a release date as 5/23. I would guess all these titles will have the 'BUG', DELTA ENTERTAINMENT logo every 10 minutes or so in the lower right corner.

Clark Gable: The Painted Desert / Clark Gable On Film Western Delta Entertainment $4.49
Gary Cooper: Meet John Doe / Gary Cooper On Film Drama Delta Entertainment $4.49
Kirk Douglas: Strange Love Of Martha Ivers / Kirk Douglas On Film Mystery / Suspense Delta Entertainment $4.49
Orson Welles: The Stranger / Orson Welles On Film Mystery / Suspense Delta Entertainment $4.49
Penny Seranade Drama Delta Entertainment $4.49
Pot O' Gold Musical Delta Entertainment $4.49
Road To Bali / On The Road To Hollywood Comedy Delta Entertainment $4.49
Spencer Tracy: Marie Galante / Spencer Tracy On Film Action / Adventure Delta Entertainment $4.49
Tarzan The Fearless / Tarzan And The Trappers Action / Adventure Delta Entertainment $4.49
Two Women Drama Delta Entertainment $4.49
Old 06-15-00, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of the 5 Delta/Laserlights I just got only the Orson Wells: The Stranger appears to have the Delta bug where the Delta logo comes on the screen every 11 minutes or so. While I havent had time to watch any all the way through I did fast forward through the rest for 30 minutes or so of each and the rest did not have it. I guess it could be in there somewhere. As for the transfers they are the standard qualty for Deltas but for 4.49 and each has a 30 minute Biography for the actor. I think they are good for the price, if you are into old movies.