Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

REVIEW WANTED: Hitchcock's Psycho

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

REVIEW WANTED: Hitchcock's Psycho

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-00, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is it? Thank you.
Old 06-01-00, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it wasn't so late, I'd write a real review. Instead, I'll just keep it short for now. Superb film and a great DVD. Very good transfer. Tons of extras, including a fascinating hour and a half documentary on the film. It's a "must have" for any collection. Probably best to get it in the "Alfred Hitchcock Collection" from Universal, which also includes "Vertigo" and 4 epiosdes od "Alfred Hitchcock Presents"

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 06-01-00, 01:11 PM

As long as this is on here, let me ask a question about something I've heard about this disc. In the fall of '98, when I was first researching DVD, I read an article in Premiere that I thought said the dimensions were incorrect. It said the letterboxing was more extreme than when originally released, therefore cutting material from the top and bottom of the frame. Is this true? Was this only true for an early version of this disc and has it been corrected since? I'd really like to know the answer to this as this movie is very high on my wish list, but I'd been holding back on getting it due to the above reasons.
Old 06-01-00, 02:48 PM

Glenn - That's the first I've heard about that problem. It looks properly framed at 1.85:1 to me. And in fact, when the disc first came out there was a lot of attention to the framing because IIRC the CE was the first widescreen release of Psycho ever. Not anamorphic, though. It's still a must-buy disc.

--Jim

------------------
My DVD list
Old 06-04-00, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moving up....

Not sure if anyone wants to add to this topic.
Old 06-04-00, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
not much to add except that this is one of my favorite dvds i own. great transfer, decent mono sound but the extras astound. awesome hour & half in-depth documentary that is pretty much like having a commentary. they start at the beginning & pretty much talk about every scene in-depth.

lots more extras like watching the shower scene with & without music, publicity stills & publicity news-reels, the awesome trailer, & bunches more. no reason to think...just buy!