Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

MST3K DVDs a real treat for fans

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

MST3K DVDs a real treat for fans

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-00, 12:56 AM
Topgun94

Fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000 may have lost the series when Sci-Fi cancelled it last year, but hopefully Rhino will keep it alive for years to come with more great DVD releases like these.

I received both MST3K DVD releases today. The first two are Eegah with Joel Hodgson, Crow, and Tom Servo and The Brain That Wouldn't Die with Mike Nelson, Crow, and Tom Servo. Both are of excellent quality. The transfers of the films used for the show are not great, but that really doesn't matter because the fun of watching is seeing what Joel, Mike, Crow, and Tom Servo will say next. The discs are in stereo and sound good. The first thing I noticed was the very cute animated menus. One interesting thing added by Rhino for the DVD release was putting the uncut version of the film on the disc. That way you can watch it by itself and make up your own jokes. Eegah has an icon that flashes when a cut was made to the orignal movie and you can switch over and see what you missed. The Brain That Wouldn't Die doesn't have that feature, but it does have the uncut version on the flip side of the disc.

Both DVDs also come with a little static cling sticker of the boys in their movie seats for your TV, so all of your shows can feel like MST3K. The best part is the price. With a low MSRP of $19.99 I was able to find the DVDs online for under $13.00. Cheaper than the videos. MST3K fans can only hope for more DVDs from Rhino in the future.

One funny note, Rhino used the same descriptions from the VHS releases and neglected to change the VHS Hi-Fi notation to DVD.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 04-28-00, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The discs just shipped from Amazon, and I can't wait to see them... But I've read a lot of complaints about the video in Eegah getting very pixelated at times, become a large digital mess... Did you run into this problem with your player?

------------------
My DVD list | My homepage
Old 04-28-00, 02:54 AM
Topgun94

Not at all. I watched it on a Sony S300 and it looked great. There were some defects on the Eegah film used , but that was the way the show looked when originally broadcast. No pixelation or DVD related problems with mine.

One other note. Rhino has released them in Amaray Keepcases. I was expecting cardboard cases like Southpark came in, but was happy to see they used keepcases.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
Old 04-28-00, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't they get more than ONE episode per dvd? It is cost prohibitive to ever think of owning a lot of episodes...
Old 04-28-00, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Well, by including an non-MSTied version of each episode's experiment, there's not enough room for more than one episode per disc...personally, I'd rather have 2 episodes as well, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Actually, if there's a way to convince Rhino to collect all the shorts on one or 2 discs, I'd rather do that than have another episode on DVD for a while...

------------------
Old 04-28-00, 04:30 PM
Topgun94

One problem I could see would be how to group the episodes together. Since the rights have expired on many of the Comedy Central episodes, they would have to skip around a lot. Still, it would be nice to have 2 episodes on a disc. They should be able to release all the shorts as one set without any problems. I just hope the sales are good enough to encourage more DVD releases from Rhino.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
Old 04-29-00, 12:23 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ctyner:
The discs just shipped from Amazon, and I can't wait to see them... But I've read a lot of complaints about the video in Eegah getting very pixelated at times, become a large digital mess... Did you run into this problem with your player?
<HR>

Didn't see any problems with this disc on my player either. I'm extremely happy that Rhino released my favorite episode of MST3K first! Now if only they'd announce Manos...

--------
Watch out for snakes!
Old 04-29-00, 09:02 AM
Topgun94

At least in Eegah they use the cool Torgo reference when the caveman is being a little too friendly with the girl. I have a feeling Manos will be one of the next to find its way to DVD.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
Old 04-30-00, 02:39 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I ordered the non-MST3K The Brain That Wouldn't Die ... can't wait.

------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY: A study in addiction
MY DVD TALK REVIEWS: Blood, Breasts and Beasts
Old 05-01-00, 09:07 PM

Hats off to Rhino for a great product! I really like "Eegahs" ability to switch between the MST3K and non-MST3K versions. I can't wait for more MST3K DVD's. Let me also put in my vote for the "Shorts" and also a little vote for "Laserblast", even though it hasn't even been released on VHS yet.
Old 05-02-00, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some TV shows are so good that I'd love having all of them. Star Trek: TOS and TNG, The Twilight Zone, The Simpsons, The Tick, and MST3K all fall into this category.

However, I've decided that the best tactic is to wait until they've released the entire series on DVD, and then pick it up as a boxed set. Chances are it'll be much cheaper than buying them one at a time. Truth be told, I'm not so eager to see these series that I'll consistently buy the new releases every month - but I might consider dropping, say, $400 for the entire ST:TNG series on a DVD box set.

- David Stein
Old 05-02-00, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I bought them at TOWER records for 14.99 each..
Old 05-02-00, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

At the rate things are going, there'll have to be close to 200 discs. (There were what, 197 MST3K eps? Not counting specials, the movie, etc.) That's a hell of a set. :-) I don't mind getting 2 a month, assuming they keep them coming at that rate, which is, of course, incredibly unlikely.

------------------
Old 05-02-00, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ctyner: 200 movies?! good God, I didn't realize the series ran that long. Well, maybe I'll just buy the ones with Joel... they were the only decent ones anyway.

- David Stein
Old 05-02-00, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

LOL...I feel the same way about Joel.

[*]KTMA: 21 episodes (before the show was picked up by the Comedy Channel; it's not very likely at all that these will ever be released on video or DVD)[*]Season One: 13 episodes (Comedy Channel era; IIRC, only one season 1 ep has been released on video; Best Brains asked Comedy Central not to ever run the season 1 eps again, so I'm guessing these are doomed to limbo as well)[*]Season Two: 13 episodes (Comedy Channel evolves into Comedy Central)[*]Season Three: 24 episodes (first full season at Comedy Central)[*]Season Four: 24 episodes[*]Season Five: 24 episodes (Joel's last was ep 12 of season 5)[*]Season Six: 24 episodes[*]Season Seven: 6 episodes (no more new MST3K at Comedy Central)[*]Season Eight: 22 episodes[*]Season Nine: 13 episodes[*]Season Ten: 13 episodes[/list]That's a grand total of 197 episodes. (whew) Even at a typical $11.99 pre-order price, with shipping, the set would be at least $2500.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sfsdfd:
    ctyner: 200 movies?! good God, I didn't realize the series ran that long. Well, maybe I'll just buy the ones with Joel... they were the only decent ones anyway.

- David Stein
    <HR>

------------------
Old 05-02-00, 07:20 PM
Topgun94

As much as I would enjoy owning them all, there is no way they can release all the episodes. The KTMA episodes violated copywrite laws and can't be sold on video. Many of the rights to movies used in the Comedy Central episodes have been lost, so there are only a limited number that can ever be released. None of the hilarious Sandy Frank episodes (Godzilla, Gamera, Time of Apes) can ever be shown again because Sandy Frank was so pissed about what Joel did he promised to never release the rights to MST3K again. Also the price to get the rights to the movies has gone up so much on some that it won't be cost effective to release them on video. At most I would guess we could expect maybe half of the Comedy Central episodes to every make it to video. I am sure some of the Sci-Fi episodes will eventually have the rights lost as well. I am going to get every episode possible now and hope for more DVDs in the near future.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
Old 05-02-00, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"sandy FRAAAAAANK! sandy FRAAAAAAANK!" Heh... those were some of the funniest episodes ever... too bad they won't see the inside of my DVD player.

- David Stein
Old 05-16-00, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by noelgross:
I ordered the non-MST3K The Brain That Wouldn't Die ... can't wait.
<HR>

Well, you missed out, then, because the MST3K Brain that Wouldn't Die comes with MSTed version and the uncut original vresion on the flip side. Absolutely no reason to buy the uncut version by itself. And it can't cost any more than the plain version, cuz like has been said previously, these MST3K discs is CHEAP.

------------------
My Stupid DVD List
Old 05-17-00, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Actually, Synapse's DVD has a lot more to offer for fans of the film than the unMSTied version on Rhino's disc.

------------------
Old 05-17-00, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Hmmm, as a die-hard mstie for many
years, I really have to wonder how
one gets to be a true "fan" of movies
like the brain that wouldn't die?
Is it something inside one that just
says "hurt me hurt me" ? This was
one godawful loser of a movie There
have been worse...but not by much

Michael
Old 05-17-00, 04:37 AM
Topgun94

There are fans of B movies like The Brain That Wouldn't die that actually love to watch them. I remember a lot of people being upset when the MST3K movie came out and they were using This Island Earth. A film many people consider a classic. I personally thought it a perfect film to make fun of, but what do I know.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection