DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Fireplace

Old 04-24-00, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick note about a rather funny disc:

I kind of like "screen saver" DVDs, like Aquarium, Coral Sea Dreaming, Mars: The Red Planet, and that high-quality Earth disc (can't rememer the name now...) So when my Reel.com order for The Decalogue came to $46, I needed a cheapo disc to pad the order to $50 for BFL. Into the e-cart went the $7 "Fireplace" disc, which claimed to present high-quality footage of - you guessed it - the Grand Canyon. No, actually, it's of a fireplace.

This has got to be THE WORST DVD I've ever seen. No menu. No chapter stops. No NOTHING! It doesn't even keep track of the running time - the disc just sits there on chapter 1 the whole time.

The video quality is sub-VHS. The audio quality is even worse. Even the fire they built in the fireplace looks stupid.

I've never before owned a DVD that honestly would be more entertaining as a shiny mirror, frisbee, or drink coaster. But this disc is incredible in its sheer badness. I would rather have donated the $7 to my local PBS telethon than paid for this disc!

- David Stein