Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reveiw: The Killer non-criterion

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reveiw: The Killer non-criterion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-00, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see that eBay has a lot of copies of The Killer (non-Criterion) up for auction. I believe this is a Hong Kong DVD release and has no region coding. Also, I think it has both the english subtitles and dub track.

I was wondering if anyone has this DVD and how the picture/sound quality is. A comparison to the Criterion would be especially beneficial.

Thanks in advance,

Barry
Old 04-03-00, 05:30 PM
Banned

I don't have this, but have talked to someone who has. It is region 0, so it is compatible with all regions. He also said the transfer was better than the one on the Criterion disc. If you like this movie, by all means buy this version. I think for what you'll save over the Criterion release you won't regret it.
Old 04-04-00, 04:15 PM

I have the Universe (HK release) of The Killer. Just watched it the other day in fact. I can't compare it to the Criterion, but I'm certainly glad I took the plunge and ordered it. Video and sound quality is quite good, definitely better than A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2, though probably not quite as good as Hard Boiled. As long as you're not expecting a state of the art transfer, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the quality of this DVD. Hope that helps.

Pete
Old 04-06-00, 04:25 AM

There is a review of it at my site. Feel free to check it out. =)

--

"Beyond the Blade" -Asian DVD Resource http://blade.hispeed.com

The Killer (Media Asia/Universe) Review http://blade.hispeed.com/hk/the_killer.html

Old 04-06-00, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW I just noticed you mentioned ebay. Personally I would checkout some of the import shops first, it might save you a couple of $s
www.hivizone.com www.sazuma.com www.bluelaser.com

Just to mention a few...

FWIW
Old 04-06-00, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. Nemein, great tip. Too bad I already won an auction! That was kinda stupid of me, but I'll keep your info in mind for later.

Barry
Old 04-08-00, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the HK version of the Killer is way worth it compared to the Criterion. The Criterion has some extra features and commentary but the big thing is the HK version is in glorious DD5.1 while the Criterion is in mono. The video quality is only so-so, since it's coming from an old HK master. Looking at the prices (you can get HK version for $12.50 at itchee.com), there's really no comparison unless you're one of those people who has to have every Criterion DVD. A must own for any action movie fan.
Old 04-10-00, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
Funny, if you do a search on "The Killer"
at itchee.com it returns titles with a
12.98 price but when you add it to your cart
it becomes 19.98
Old 04-11-00, 07:18 AM
Banned

I hopped on the Itchee deal the the other day when it was hot in the Bargains forum and got it for $12.98. I also got City on Fire for $12.98 and City War for $9.98 so I could take advantage of the free shipping. Too bad it looks like the sale is over now.
Old 04-11-00, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well at least they still have the free
shipping if you buy 3 titles...
Madhat, I've heard about 'City on Fire'.
Can you comment on it?
Old 04-11-00, 07:15 PM
Banned

City on Fire is a pretty cool flick if you're a Chow Yun-Fat/Ringo Lam fan. Yun-Fat won a Hong Kong Best Actor Award for his role. This film was also the basis for Reservoir Dogs; Tarantino stole some scenes almost frame by frame from City on Fire. In CoF, Chow Yun-Fat is a cop who infiltrates a band of jewelry theives who take part in a heist that goes wrong; sound familiar?

I haven't received the DVD yet, so I cannot comment on the quality, but I've heard it compares to The Killer disk; both DVD's were done by the same company.
Old 04-12-00, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's it! I knew I'd heard of this film
and now that you jolted my memory, it was
in reference to Reservoir Dogs!

Thanks a bunch
Old 04-17-00, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Can anyone recommend another Chow Yun Fat movie? I have seen The Killer and Hard Boiled and really liked them. I am going to order The Killer and City on Fire from Oneasia.com to take advantage of the free shipping, and I was wondering what the 3rd disk I get should be? Any suggestions?
Old 04-18-00, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Xander, you might want to try these CYF flicks. Don't know of their availability but can vouch for their quality:

Prison on Fire 1 and 2- Two great prison movies. Directed by Ringo Lam these two flicks are really strong and violent, but does have some light, funny moments. Chow plays an easy going hard timer that tries to play everyone against each other.

Tiger on Beat- A great buddy action flick that is a parallel of all the 80's Walter Hill and Bruckheimer films. Chow plays a good, but unorthodox cop and Conan Lee plays a cop that's similiar to Jackie Chan's Police Story character. A great climax sees Conan and his opponent battling with chainsaws.

Full Contact- Another CYF and Ringo Lam film. Not my cup of tea but, others swear by it. It's not as serious as thier other films but more action oriented. The plot's really out there. Chow gets caught up with a bizarre group of criminals: the leader is a homosexual amatuer magician, the chick is a sex crazed back stabber, and the muscle guy is a typical muscle guy. Suffice to say he ends up being betrayed and soon vows revenged with a few less fingers.

Hard Boiled- Classic John Woo and CYF, perhaps and arguably the best movie these two men made together.

Once a Thief- A fun action/caper flick by John Woo.

Old 04-18-00, 05:47 AM

I want to add "All About Ah-Long" and "Wild Search" and "Autumn Romance" to the list.
Old 04-19-00, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
You also should include A Better Tomorrow 1+2, but I would wait until Anchor bay releases them (hopefully) in October.