Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Alien Legacy box set

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Alien Legacy box set

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-00, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have yet to see any of the Alien movies but am a big horror/sci fi fan. I have seen a lot of positive reviews for these movies but semi-bad for the sound. Please someone comment on both the movies and the features. Any information on video, sound, and extras quality would be appreciated. Since I have a 10.00 off coupon and their is free shipping at DVDExpress.com, I am considering this set.

------------------
-DVDjunkie21
My DVD List
Old 02-05-00, 09:58 PM

To quote the famous for child labour/sweat shop company, "Just do it!".

Picking up this box set is a no-brainer for sci-fi fans, the quality is high all around, the first 2 discs are surprisingly good in image and sound quality for their age!
Old 02-05-00, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be honest with you I would rent some of them first. The first two are no brainers, but the last two start to go down hill. It seems to be out 50/50 as to whether people like or dislike #3 (personally I like it). I'm guess but I'd say that probably goes up to 90%+ AGAINST the last one. Also since there are very few special features on the last 2 you aren't going to be missing anything.

JMO
Old 02-06-00, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ohmygawd!! What are you waiting for! At a minimum buy discs 1 and 2 NOW, today!!! Put down the mouse and order the damn things!!! As for #3 (I liked it), and #4 (I liked it) - well, everyone has their own opinion.

My $.02: don't buy the Legacy Box set, buy each disc separately so you can use a coupon on each purchase. The Box was a good deal when Fox offered a free promo disc with the purchase, but they don't any more, so save some money!

Now go buy the damn things, and post back here after watching #1 and #2 - I want to hear you say "I can't believe I waited to watch these!!!"
Old 02-06-00, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may be opinionated, since I am huge <big>ALI3NS</big>
fan, but buy THE LEGACY SET!! The box and perks are well worth it...even
if you have to pay a bit more buying the set. If unsure...rent Alien & Aliens first.
If you are a sci fi fan, they will certainly win you over.

[This message has been edited by Calistoga (edited February 18, 2000).]
Old 02-06-00, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks everyone for the reviews, and I believe I will get the box set. I can get this set for 66.99 shipped from DVDExpress.com so thats why I didn't want to buy them separately. All 4 titles sell for 21.00 online but 11.00 with a 10 off coupon. I would buy them separatley but 44.00 + 3.00 shipping or more (56.00 minimum separately) isn't worth it. Also, that would be 4 less coupons, and we all know how they are becoming less and less.

------------------
-DVDjunkie21
My never visited DVD List

[This message has been edited by DVDjunkie21 (edited February 06, 2000).]
Old 02-06-00, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVDjunkie21:
Thanks everyone for the reviews, and I believe I will get the box set. I can get this set for 66.99 shipped from DVDExpress.com so thats why I didn't want to buy them separately. All 4 titles sell for 21.00 online but 11.00 with a 10 off coupon. I would buy them separatley but 44.00 + 3.00 shipping or more (56.00 minimum separately) isn't worth it. Also, that would be 4 less coupons, and we all know how they are becoming less and less.

<HR>

Your right. With the scarcity of coupons it's not worth wasting 4 of them or even 2 of them. Even if you want the 1st 2 the box set is a better idea. Plus the box is pretty cool. It's a shame you did not buy it earlier as you could have sent in for the $10 rebate. I got a good deal on it myself: $20.00 reel coupon + BFL $30.00 discount + BFL free shipping plus ****** rebate + Fox $10 rebate= $17.00 for the box set.

Old 03-28-00, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I finally got around to watching Aliens 3. I am in the group that did not like it. It was ok, but compared to the others it was lame. Just how many times can they say the f- word anyway? Too much arguing not enough of what made the others great, action and suspense.

------------------
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list
But John, when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.
Old 03-31-00, 03:40 AM

I didn't like ALIEN3 the first time I saw it but I've watched it twice since I got the set and I now have new respect for it.

I think you have to think of it as a separate work apart from the rest of the series. ALIEN is a horror movie. ALIENS is an action flick. ALIEN3 is more moody and depressing, more like a Shakespearean tragedy. I also read somewhere that it was intended to be an AIDS metaphor. I don't think that element plays out as well as it could but it still adds another interesting layer to the film.

Another note, this was the directorial debut of David Fincher who has since directed SEVEN, THE GAME and FIGHT CLUB. Although ALIEN3 is rooted in the "ALIEN" mythology, you can still see his unique directorial style coming through. I think he has the potential of becoming one of the great directors of our time.

I agree that the first two movies are far superior, but I think ALIEN3 should be given a fair shot as a unique and original piece of filmmaking.
Old 03-31-00, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
test

------------------
<A href="=" http://www.dvdtrac[Uker.com/dvd_list.asp?user_id=mavan%5Fusa%40yahoo%2Ecom&order_by=]http://www.dvdtracker.com/dvd_list.asp?user_id=mavan%5Fusa%40yahoo%2Ecom&order_by= check out my slowly expanding dvd list</a>
Old 04-02-00, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
buy the whole bunch. the last 2 may not be as great as the first two but i think they are still worth having & watching.
Old 04-06-00, 03:52 PM

Yeah definitely pick this up!

Just got it last weekend (if you're in Canada head over to Costco it's only $80=$55u.s.)

One suggestion though is that if you haven't already, pick up The Abyss. Great movie, more James Cameron, tons of extras, and lots of hidden Aliens trailers.

Ok, my point is, is that inside The Abyss is a coupon for Fox's new "Buy 4 get 1 Free" offer. So you can use it with the Alien Legacy box set (I think), and get a free movie. That's what I'm hoping to do anyways, sucks having to cut up the insert, but I want a free DVD! Plus you can get another James Cameron movie for free... Strangedays!

What happened to Cameron??? Made all these cool movies, and then made Titanic!!! It wasn't completely horrible, but quite a big change from what he used to make.

NZ
Old 04-10-00, 01:26 PM
Cool New Member

Speaking of James Cameron, anyone pickup The Terminator or Terminator 2: Judgement Day? I bought T2 and video/sound are superb and miles better than the T2 vhs (previously rented) that I got from west coast video.
Old 04-12-00, 12:26 PM

AWESOME !!!!!!