DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Review: The 6th Sense

Old 03-24-00, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to get an early look at the disc this afternoon, and have posted a review on my site. The audio and video quality are both excellent, and there are certainly quite a few extras to look through. The extras are very nice, but not stunning - they simply give a nice amount of in-depth production info. I would really liked to have seen a commentary from the director, who is very interesting to listen to during the featurettes offered.

If you would like to read the full review, click below. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks.

DVD Review: The 6th Sense
Old 03-24-00, 06:24 PM

Oh man, the only reason I blew some of my Freeride points on this was for the commentary. I saw somewhere that there was a director's commentary. Now I am disappointed. I knew I shouldn't have trusted Di$ney.
Old 03-24-00, 06:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I defy you to post a link with a quote from Disney claiming there was a commentary on this disc. I’ve never heard or read anything anywhere saying the film would have a commentary track.
Old 03-26-00, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Groucho is right--a commentary was never mentioned or planned for the dvd. You may have been misled by CD Now's page: under the description it may have said "director's comments." CD Now uses this to signify a director's commentary, but also an interview with the director, or any other form of "comments" (a current example is Bringing Out The Dead--it lists director's comments as a feature; the disc has no commentary, but does have interviews with Scorsese).

I got my copy of 6th Sense from CD Now Today and I agree that it is a very good disc. Picture and sound are very good, and while it isn't the most loaded SE ever, the extras are very good. They were all created for the dvd, and assume you are already familiar with the movie--there aren't any of those fluffy featurettes that were shown on HBO or something similar in order to convince you to go out and see it. The deleted scenes are pretty interesting, and they are all introduced by the director, with an explanation regarding why they were cut.
Old 03-28-00, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone else notice that all of the scenes that were cut from the movie weren't put into that "Deleted Scenes" link. In the trailer for the movie it shows Bruce Willis almost being hit by a car, and then a pregnant lady walking across the street throwing fliers around and then the fliers obstructing the view on a car. Where were those deleted scenes? I really would have liked an explanation for those left out scenes.

There were some pretty good extras on this DVD though. I would have liked an extended "storyboard" feature and commentary. I thought that Night Shyamalan's "First Horror Movie" featurette was hilarious and he was a very interesting director. The sound was pretty good (even though there's not much you can do with such a quiet movie), and the picture was great. Overall a pretty worthwhile disk.
Old 03-29-00, 04:12 AM

The deleted scenes, etc. improved the movie for me a great deal. I enjoyed it beforehand, but after seeing the extras I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
Old 03-29-00, 05:38 AM

I know they want to end the movie with a happy tone but I think the extended ending should be including in the movie. It would make the movie even better by putting a little bit of sadness into it.
Old 03-29-00, 02:41 PM

Anybody know why there was no commentary track for this disc? Obviously, the director was heavily involved in putting it together, and his terrific play-by-play over the restaurant scene makes me long for a full commentary track even more.
Old 03-29-00, 08:23 PM

I couldn't wait, and just watched it for the second time. Its even better. After I knew I happened and what to look for, I saw and understood a lot more.
Old 03-30-00, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen it four times now (three times in the theater, once on DVD), and it just keeps getting better. And, after watching the excellent extras, I am really looking forward to watching it again, with the additional knowledge gained from listening to Shyamalan and the rest of the cast and crew describe their experiences.

Also, My feeling is that the way the extras are presented is actually far better than any audio commentary I've heard, because it gives you the chance to see the person who is speaking, and concentrate on what they are saying, and then view appropriate footage in the context of their comments. I found it much more enlightening and interesting than a "standard" commentary.

This is one of the best DVD purchases I've ever made.

Robo

[This message has been edited by RoboDad (edited March 30, 2000).]
Old 04-01-00, 01:30 PM

As per my comment on the commentary, I did see it listed on some etailers site. I don't remember if it was CDNOW or not, but I normally dont look at what they have listed for extras since their site is horrible for that.

Anyway, the film was still very good upon seeing it for the second time, and it was actually better than I remember it being. I still would have liked a commentary, but the extras that were included were pretty interesting. I am glad I picked this one up, even with the horrendously annoying previews before the film. Thank goodness you can zap through them.

EDIT: Groucho, this is where I saw the ad for a commentary. It is from dvdexpress.com. I defy you to defy me again

Additional information
Copyright: 1999, Disney
Special Features: Theatrical Trailer, TV Spots, Additional Footage, Audio Commentary, Deleted Scenes, Interviews, Story Boards, Cast/Crew Bios, Scene Access, Interactive Menus
Video Format: Widescreen 1.85:1 aspect ratio

Add'l Features: Enhanced for 16x9 TVs

Audio Tracks: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

# Discs: 1
Layers: Dual
Other: Produced by Barry Mendel; Written by M. Night Shyamalan; DVD released on 03/28/2000; running time of 107 minutes; Closed Captioned.

[This message has been edited by chapstik (edited April 01, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by chapstik (edited April 01, 2000).]
Old 04-01-00, 07:40 PM

Read my original message -- I was looking for a quote from Disney. It's hardly Disney's fault that DVDExpress gave bad info on the disc...
Old 04-01-00, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this Dvd last night and while I said it was okay after watching it, I think I have to watch it again after thinking about it. I think I got it the first time but I think its a movie that needs to be watched again.
Old 04-01-00, 10:00 PM

Groucho-I never did look at anything Disney posted, and I shouldn't have said in my first post here "I shouldn't have trusted Di$ney." I knew I did see a commentary listed somewhere though, so I am relieved I wasn't thinking of something else.

Even without a commentary, this is still a sweet disk.