DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Limey

Old 03-20-00, 03:05 PM
Banned

Did it really deserve the "A" that EW gave it?
Old 03-20-00, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes

------------------
"If it were all in the script, why make the film?"--Nicholas Ray

Old 03-20-00, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll agree with Blip here. I bought it without ever having seen it, and it surpassed my expectations. A great movie and a great DVD. Well worth the $20 I paid for it at Best Buy (who had it on the shelves a few days early).

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 03-20-00, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gammy:

How dare you go to an actual store to buy a DVD! Don't you realize you could have got it for 3 bucks less if you bought it from a Venezuelan company that you have never heard of and who just put up their web site yesterday. Hell, for $20, the average DVD Talker could probably buy 7 copies of Suicide Kings.

Some people will never learn.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Blip (edited March 20, 2000).]
Old 03-21-00, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blip....
I only did it because I read somewhere that Martin Scorsese buys all his movies from Best Buy.

I guess that I never will learn. After all, I don't even have one copy of "Suicide Kings"! Some day I may wise up and realize that it's not important how good the film is. What really matters is how much you paid for it.

I will try to change my ways. Do you know where I can get a good deal on "American Beauty"?

jim

------------------
Old 03-21-00, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Um..Suicide Kings is a really good movie. Its worth checking out, esp. since you can get it for below $10 just about anywhere.

Old 03-21-00, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gammy:

Wait I second... You seem to suggest I should actually be watching my DVDs. I thought they existed only to fill my shelves and to impress my friends with my bargain hunting skills. (My friends are easily impressed.) If I really have to watch these things...well, it looks like I won't get any sleep tonight.

As for American Beauty, some freaks I know are actually still seeing it in the theaters. I would much rather wait and be surprised. It's going to win the Oscar so I can't imagine it's that bad. Anyway, I like surprises--especially now that I know you can actually watch them. Before I would just stare at the pretty pictures imprinted on the discs.

Concerning Martin Scorsese, like many people, I believe him to be the greatest living, working, male, Italian-American director 5'6" or under.

------------------

Old 03-22-00, 09:20 AM

Watched the Limey last night....i must say i was very disappointed after all the hype about how good it was. It was quite dull, actually.....
Old 03-22-00, 06:42 PM
Cool New Member

Watched it last night, and couldn't be more pleased. Soderbergh personally supervised the transfer to DVD, and the attention to detail shows.
Old 03-22-00, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blip....
You haven't seen "American Beauty"???? Didn't you know that it's the movie that everyone MUST see and everyone MUST love???? I cannot wait until Oscar night when it takes its rightful place among such superb films as "Titanic" and "Saving Private Ryan". (Don't you just LOVE Tom Hanks??? Me too!!!) Of course I realize that many Oscar-winning films are not very good at all. Why some of them were even made before 1970!!!!

jim

------------------
Old 03-22-00, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gammy:

Last night, my girlfriend dragged me to see American Beauty. I didn't want to go because I heard there was talking in it. I tend not to like talking in movies. It's so boring! I like movies where people kick each other, or where stuff blows up, or when there are a lot of naked breasts. Those are the movies I like. But American Beauty was actually good because it made me think about how much better I am than everyone and how it is okay to laugh at others. It also taught me stuff like guns make people feel powerful, if you hate gays you really are gay so you better not say you hate gays, and teenagers are a lot smarter than adults because teenagers don't care about anything except plastic bags. It was very insightful.

However, I'm sorry to inform you that Saving Private Ryan didn't win Best Picture last year. It should have won, but they gave it to that piece of fluff chick flick. Don't they realize a serious movie has to be about men doing manly thing--like killing and being sad about killing?

Also, I didn't realize there were movies made before 1970. In fact, I didn't realize life existed before I was born. Life really must have sucked back then.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Blip (edited March 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Blip (edited March 22, 2000).]
Old 03-23-00, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blip....
Isn't that just like a girl to drag you to a movie without any car chases? Why, if I ever get a girlfriend, I'll never let her do that to me. I did however, see "The Cider House Rules" this afternoon. Now, I like feel-good abortion movies as much as the next person, but this movie did not "rule" at all. I complained to the theater manager, but he just stared at me blankly. What's the point of having state of the art sound systems in theaters if you're just gonna waste it on a bunch of talking????

I am aware that "Saving Private Ryan" was robbed of a best picture Oscar last year. But at least the Oscar didn't go to that other war movie, "The Thin Red Line". Yeah....sure....They should have called it "The Long....ummmm....Red Bore". There was all that talking and thinking when there should have been a bunch of killing instead.

Not only were there movies before 1970, but (Get This!!!! I hope you're sitting down!) some of them were actually in black and white!!!! Were people colorblind back then??? In fact, I just finished watching a movie by some hack named Preston Sturges called "Sullivan's Travels". The video store was all out of the latest Jerry Bruckheimer movie, so I rented this, figuring that it was probably about this guy named Sullivan who travels around the country getting in all sorts of adventures and kicking butt wherever he goes, much like Patrick Swayze in "Road House". But wouldn't ya know it? It was a comedy!!!! And a bad one at that. Why, during the entire movie, not once did a guy get kicked in the groin!!!! How can it be a comedy without a guy getting kicked in the groin???? But what do you expect from a movie that came out in 1942?!?

You're right. Life really must have sucked back then. I mean, they didn't even have CGI back then!!! This meant that people had to be creative and use their imaginations. I'm sure I speak for you too, Blip, when I say that when I go to the movies, I don't want to think. I just want to watch stuff blow up and women take their tops off. If I wanted to think, I'd get one of those things...you know?...those things with all the paper and purdy words on them? What are they called? Oh! Books! Books shmooks, that's what I say!!!! Why, if I see someone walking down the street carrying a book, I beat the crap out of that egghead! No books in my neighborhood!!! No siree Bob!!

jim

------------------
Old 03-23-00, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
I also liked some of the extras such as explaining anamorphic vs widescreen with examples and where the "old" footage came from. Also provided some insight into the choices of actors. An all around good movie, and I would definitely recommend it.
Old 03-23-00, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gammy:

I'm confused, a bit confused.

What exactly are black and white movies? Are they like grey movies? Grey movies play all the time on this channel called Turner Classic Movies. When I first saw one, I thought something was wrong with the satellite, but when I called the company they said that was the way they were supposed to look. I guess the people who made them were too cheap to focus the camera or something. Anyway are black and white movies like when you have one black guy and one white guy and they team up with hilarious results? I love those movies! Why are you so down on them?

Good call on books. They forced me to read them in college. I could tell they weren't very good because I kept falling asleep while reading them. Eventually, I bought these things called Cliff Notes. They are a lot better. They just tell you the story without all the useless junk. The problem with most books is that the words get in the way of the story.

You're also right about the people who read books. I really hate those people. They always make fun of movies I watch. Don't they realize that movies are supposed to be entertaining? And don't they realize that the only things that are entertaining are car chases and naked women?

BTW, Good call on Road House. It's one the best films I've ever seen.

------------------

Old 03-24-00, 12:10 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Ahem, I would have sworn this thread was about The Limey ... oh well, I also read great things about the picture and bought it without seeing it ... I just had a look at it. Greatness! I'll definately be pushing this one on my friends.

------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY: A study in addiction
MY DVD TALK REVIEWS: Blood, Breasts and Beasts
Old 03-25-00, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blip....

Not only are some films black and white (or "grey", if you prefer), but it is my understanding that there are some very old films that have no sound at all. They are called "silent films", I believe. So, on top of their being no color, no CGI, and no naked women, there is also no sound. While I admit that this would keep all that pesky dialogue from getting in the way of the action, I have been told that you had to read the words these alleged actors were allegedly speaking! The whole concept makes my head hurt!

There are a few people who have tried to make these supposed "classics" more bearable. Of course I am speaking of that gentle giant of the media industry, Ted Turner. I recently saw a movie called "The Roaring Twenties", which was made in 1939. Normally, I would have hated this movie, but the talented Mr. Turner used a magical process that changed the movie from black and white to color. Now if that's not an accomplishment worthy of a Nobel prize, then I don't know what is! Of course, being old, the film still sucked. It just didn't suck as bad as it would have if I had seen it in black and white. Unfortunately, some of those artsy-fartsy types complained that the process of colorization was messing with the director's "artistic vision"...whatever the hell that means!!!! So now we are left with all those crummy old movies in black and white. The world is such an unfair place!

jim

------------------