DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted for Black Orpheus criterion

Old 03-16-00, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have never seen this film but it sounds interesting. Any insights?

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com
Old 03-16-00, 11:11 PM

I own this Criterion. The transfer is beautiful, the color is absolutely gorgeous. (Never having seen the film before but frequently seeing mentions of it, I always assumed it was in black and white, perhaps subconsciously given its title). The muted color of the Criterion packaging only makes the film's actual color pop out that much more.

The film itself is a bit mannered and theatrical (but then, so are the Cocteau films on similar mythological ground), trying to lay a classical story onto a "modern" setting, and this is not helped by the somewhat amateurish performances.

But that said, there is a certain vibrancy to the film (beyond it's color palette), and I myself enjoyed the way the film effused a celebratory pagan joie de vie (the film takes place during Rio's Carnival) while trying to work within the contraints of the classical myth. I would have preferred more pagan-ness and less hokey archetypal mythologizing, ultimately.

I really have to mention the color again, Rio looks very picturesque and the costuming is played up for full effect. Also, if you have any sort of soft spot for latin music, the film's bossa nova score gives one another reason to purchase this.

------------------
My DVD's
Old 03-17-00, 02:57 AM

I went ahead and bought it without having seen it. If you find the premise attractive then I suggest you go ahead and get it. The color is gorgeous. A great transfer. I have had no regrets!
Old 03-17-00, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've ordered it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, plus it was $3 from Urban Fetch and will be here in 1/2 an hour. Who can say no?

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com
Old 03-17-00, 08:38 PM

Here's a review that I posted at MHVF, for anyone who cares:
http://www.mhvf.net/forum/general/posts/950.html
Old 03-20-00, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, now that I've seen this I can strongly recommend it. A wonderful film. I'd love to expand on my opinions in a dvd talk review...

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com