DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

D.O.A. 3 versions - HELP

Old 01-05-00, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, now I have heard everything. There is not one, but three (count 'em 3!) DVD versions of this movie! The first is from MasterTone (I have one of their films. not too bad actually). The second is from Roan - digitally cleaned from Carey Roan's personally collection - coming 1/18/2000, and the last is from Image, digitally restored, coming 3/18/2000!! I have never heard of two "clean" versions of the same film released in the same quater!

Don't know if anyone has any advance knowledge of these films, but any info would help!
Old 01-06-00, 12:40 PM

I can't answer your post with any certainty, but one could be the 1950 version while the other could be the 1988 version.

------------------
jason
Old 03-11-00, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm looking to buy this soon, so I thought I would resurrect this thread.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 03-11-00, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All three are the same 1950 movie. I own two of them, the horrendous Mastertone version - avoid, makes Madacy look like Criterion - and the Roan archival release. This is a nice, print, nice packaging, and an introduction by one of the stars, but (theres always a but - notice that?) for some reason best known to themselves Roan have chosen to windowbox the whole movie!! So its like watching the damn thing through a camera viewfinder.

The reason there are three versions is because this a "public domain" movie so Im hoping that the next release gets it right and I can buy it for the third! time without worrying.

Id appreciate it if someone could post who buys this version and reassure me they havent f***ed this one up as well.

More human, than Human

[This message has been edited by jonathan.e (edited March 16, 2000).]
Old 03-11-00, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to reel.com, the third version is already released. Unfortunately, it takes 2-3 weeks for delivery at the moment.

jim

------------------
Old 03-12-00, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't seen the Mastertone or Roan versions so I can't comment on those. Except for some occasional film defects, the full screen transfer on the new release from Image looks very good. A few scenes lack contrast, but overall blacks are deep with good shadow detail.

The audio is about what you'd expect from a vintage movie--a bit thin, but quite listenable, with clear, undistorted dialogue.

On the downside, there are no extras. Still, if you like noir, this release is worth owning. Besides, its cheap.
Old 03-16-00, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up the Image version a few days ago. From what has been said about the Mastertone and Roan DVDs, this version is probably your best bet. There's plenty of dirt and defects in some of the scenes, while others are surprisingly clear. I think these are probably due more to the age of the movie than the transfer itself. The sound is a bit thin, but still very clear. If you like the film, then I recommend the Image version. It probably could be a bit better, but it's sure to be the best that we'll get.

jim

------------------
Old 03-16-00, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by jonathan.e:
...for some reason best known to themselves Roan have chosen to windowbox the whole movie!! So its like watching the damn thing through a camera viewfinder.
<HR>

What is 'windowboxing' and what other movies, if any, has this been done to?