Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any web site reviews of Fist of Legend on dvd yet?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Any web site reviews of Fist of Legend on dvd yet?

Old 02-18-00, 05:27 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I already own it, but am trying to get a friend to buy it. He wants to see a web site review, and not a personal review, of the dvd..I have checked a few places, and nothing yet. Thanks.
Old 02-18-00, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why don't you invite him over and watch it together? or maybe lend it to him? no matter what reviewers say, the final decision is up to you. If he's really into kung fu flicks and jet li, what can go wrong? a lot of my friends are converting over to jet li after I've shown them fist of legend. I hate to admit, but black mask and lethal weaon 4 did kinda suck for his debut films in the US.
Old 02-19-00, 02:16 AM
gamer for life

internet friend...
Old 02-21-00, 12:59 AM

There was a review last weekend by someone who saw the HK version and preferred that over the one you have. My copy came in on Tuesday and I enjoyed it. The story is not to deep, but that's fine as the fight scenes are excellent. You get a taste of what to expect about 30 seconds into the movie.

The complaint about dubbing wasn't with the lip sync, but how negative comments regarding the Japanese were toned down. I would recommend this movie to anyone buying a movie for the kung fu action.

For me, it's definitely a repeater and worth owning.
Old 02-21-00, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your friend has access to cable t.v or satellite Dish. The international channel is showing Fist of Legend on Thursday 2/28 (12pm easter/9pm pacific,I believed). You can check I-channel.comfor the exact time. They've showed it the last two weeks and I prefer the subtitled version compared to the dubbed one.

------------------
My Addiction
Old 02-24-00, 02:56 AM

I have a Fist of Legend DVD review up on my site if you wanna check it out.

It's on my HK DVD review site.. listed under the HK and miscellaneous section.

DVD POP!

-Shizumaru
Old 02-24-00, 03:49 AM
gamer for life

My fist of legend vcd is sub. and it much better. The movie dubbed takes on a more happy tone, and less dark..drops a score for me..from a 9 movie to about an 8...but the dvd looks so good..so if you have seen it sub. then the dvd is great to check out the fights..
Old 02-29-00, 02:09 PM

shizumaru:

it's one thing to have a two liner description of the dvd you're trying to review, and slapping the word review on it, it's another thing to COMPLETELY copy word for word the back of the dvd keepcase, adding a random star # of your choice(hard boiled), and then call it your OWN review. this behavior is unworthy and despicable.

ANDRO
Old 03-01-00, 04:32 PM
Cool New Member

andromedas, you need to click on the title to get the full review.
I don't think he copied word for word for the review there.
Old 03-05-00, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One thing you should keep in mind before buying the US version of Fist of Legend. It is dubbed, and there is not an option to turn it off or change languages. If you are a hardcore HK movie buff, then you'll definitely be peeved by the US version. I'd recommend the HK import so you can listen to it in the original language (unless of course you hate reading subtitles)
Old 03-05-00, 03:25 AM

Andromedas,

The review index of each genre only gives DESCRIPTIONS which are "usually" taken from the back of the case (I write some of them when it doesn't tell you anything about the plot), as explained in the review guidelines. You have to click on the DVD title to get to the full reviews. With links from the news and updates section, not to mention the navigation links at the top which are presented in the same non-underlined style, I thought it would be abundantly clear.

I don't copy word for word ANY review and to say that I do so, is "unworthy and despicable". In the full review I even seperate the two by giving a "description" heading and a "review" heading.

I offer the descriptions on the main review pages as a service, so people can read briefly what the movie is about and who is in it. If they are interested, they can click on the title and check out the full review which usually has my own plot summary, details on the audio, video, subtitles, extras, etc.. and how I felt about the DVD.

There were two other people who made the same mistake and sent me an e-mail asking why the reviews were not very detailed. I explained to them and they realized their mistake. I'm not sure why people keep assuming the descriptions are my actual reviews. Do you like the way each review index is presented? If people don't really care about the descriptions etc.. I might redesign them so people will know to click on the title for the actual review or does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it any clearer?

Thanks!

Anime & Hong Kong DVD Resource

Just for reference..
Fist of Legend Review

-Shizumaru

[This message has been edited by Shizumaru (edited March 07, 2000).]
Old 03-05-00, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

shilex, what hk import are you talking about? it was my understanding that there is no hk dvd available. if there actually is, where is it available? thanks

young