DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review of Bats

Old 02-29-00, 06:00 AM

Thousands and thousands of bats led by two scientifically enhanced bats attack a small town in Texas. If this sounds like a cross between The Birds and Deep Blue Sea, your right. However, it is not as good as either of those. But if this type of movie is your cup of tea, go for it. It definately has its moments,especially if you, or your mate, don't like bats. The biggest problem is the humor...not all of it is intentional. I won't give them all away, but the bats look like flying Gremlins.
The disc is terrific. An anamorphic transfer by Columbia that is gorgeous. The sound is also worth mentioning. The rears are filled with the sounds of bats. It is definately a treat for your eyes and ears.
The disc is a special edition and is loaded with extras. I dd not listen to it, but there is a running commentary with the director and main actor Lou Diamond Phillips. (Its not much on star power. It also has a comparison of two scenes of footage with and without the special effects. Also included are several trailers for other horror flick. Be sure to see The Tingler. I never heard of this one, but it sounded rather interesting.

Recommendation.....rent it, unless movies about rampant animals turns you on.
Old 02-29-00, 06:39 PM
Banned

i thought the movie sucked. my friends saw it in theaters and said it sucked. i rented it on dvd which features the r-rated version and that couldn't even save it. i do not recommend this sucker!
Old 03-01-00, 02:58 AM

Overall this movie was terrible. The models used for the close up bat scenes looked fake. This movie kinda reminded me of Lake Placid. Another stinker.
One good point is that it has some cool rear effects.
Old 03-01-00, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got the Bats: SE, and if not only for Dina Meyers, get it for the MST3K fun value! It's not completely horrible and boring as a Troma movie, but nice campy fun that I could get into. BTW, the Tingler- now THERE'S a baaaaad one, and I'm a Vincent Price admirer! Kinda reminded me of that brain horror movie that Hogarth was watching in Iron Giant. Need factoid- when it was shown in theaters, the trailer promised that the audience would participate in the fear- and they did because Will Castle put mild electric probes in some of the auditorium seats causing many to believe the Tingler was attacking! Now just imagine the lawsuit if that was pulled these days...