DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Limey

Old 02-25-00, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like a review of The Limey. I didn't catch it in the theater, but heard is was very good. I liked Out Of Sight alot, which was by the same director.
Old 02-25-00, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this movie, it was one of my favorite films of 1999. Steven Soderbergh (the director) uses some very interesting devices to tell the story. If you are a fan of "Out of Sight", imagine the seduction/love-making scene between Clooney/Lopez (where they are still talking but the camera flash-forwards to them back in the hotel room making love) and you will get a good idea of a lot of the visual style of this film.

Soderbergh uses this technique quite often in the film. If you're not familiar with the story of the film, it is about an English ex-con (played brilliantly by Terence Stamp) who comes to LA to find out who was responsible for the death of his daughter. He suspects her boyfriend who is Peter Fonda as a slimey music exec.

What Iloved the most about this film (besides the film techniques) was the character played by Terence Stamp. Here is a guy in his 60's and he comes off as just the strongest "don't mess with me" tough guy I have seen in the movies. There is a great scene where he goes into a shady warehouse manned by several 20-something tough guys, and he takes care of them one by one (after they basically scoffed at him because he was old.)

It is a great movie and worth checking out. The soundtrack is also quite enjoyable.

------------------
My DVDs

Old 02-25-00, 11:43 PM

I saw this in the theater. I loved Out of Sight, but I only thought this one was ok. It was worth seeing, but I have no plans to buy it. I just found it rather slow and uninteresting. It is very stylish, but not as "hip" as Out of Sight was.

------------------
The addict formerly known as barrese

The Way Movies Were Mean't To Sound
my current favorite band
Old 02-26-00, 09:57 AM

GeneralZod, don't miss the great performance of General Zod in this film. Should've been nominated for best actor. Great movie.
Old 02-29-00, 11:56 AM
Cool New Member

Best movie of 1999.

I love the way it starts out all disconnected and non-linear, and slowly starts to come together. It's actually a simple story, but it's compelling and told in a very stylish manner.

And Terence Stamp is just a god.