Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: Double Jeopardy & Bone Collector

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: Double Jeopardy & Bone Collector

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-00, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about pre-ordering both Double Jeopardy and the Bone Collector. I've never seen either. I'm not a very picky person -- I tend to like mindless mainstream movies :-). What did you people think of these 2 movies?
Old 02-15-00, 09:46 PM

I enjoyed Double Jeopardy as an action flick. The plot has many holes and is pretty implausible. But their are some good performances and plot twists. The story moves along nicely without dragging. I'm a big fan of Ashley Judd, and she is wonderful in the movie. Tommy Lee Jones' performance is pretty much the same as the Fugitive movies. The DVD, though lacking in extras, features great picture and sound quality.
Old 02-16-00, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw both at the theaters, and although I enjoyed both, I preferred Bone Collector. I'm not buying Double Jeopardy since I don't feel it has repeat value. The plot definitely had holes in it. Bone Collector will be going into my collection, but I'm a fan of Denzel Washington, so may be a bit biased.

[This message has been edited by Calistoga (edited February 18, 2000).]
Old 02-17-00, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to be so violently opposed to the two reviews above but Double Jeopardy is one of the lamest excuses for a main-stream "major" movie I’ve seen in years. It’s like some made for tv movie that ended up in the cinema, it’s that bad. There’s a classic scene where you realise just how bad this movie sucks when they show the passage of time by dissolving from season-to-season, surely the lamest way of getting it across. Also be warned Tommy Lee Jones doesn’t even appear until well over half an hour into the movie and then spends most of the rest of it chasing Ashley Judd’s character in some lame reprise of his Fugitive/US Marshalls character. For the life of me I cannot understand why this flick made so much money, I can only assume there was an unusually strong female turnout for it, putting, as it does a wronged woman at the center and watching her exact her revenge on the evil ex-husband.

The Bone Collector is yet another of Denzel Washington’s bad career choices (how does this guy choose his movies? with a pin and a blindfold??!!) and reaches such heights of implausibility that I’d probably run onto two pages if I listed them all. It’s also unecessarily very graphic in it’s depiction of the crimes, in a lame "seven" kind of way. The only good thing about it is the score by Craig Armstrong.

I wish I could be more positive, but I really couldn’t recommend either of these.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 02-17-00, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fantasia, based on your described tastes in movies, both of these films will provide you with a couple of hours of entertainment each. I do like seeing 2 films with strong female protagonists.

jonathan, these are popcorn movies, go with the flow, bro. Maybe Denzel just wanted to kiss Angelina, and someone threw the Bone Collector script his way...

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 02-17-00, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Patman-
Yup, "popcorn" type movies are my favorite (I actually liked movies like "The Mummy", "Godzilla", and "Wild Wild West"). As long as the movie is reasonably well paced (not boring), I'll be happy .
Old 02-17-00, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

Loving such movies as Seven I went to the theater to see Bone Collector, hoping for a similar experience.

Let me be clear: Bone Collector is the worst movie I've seen in a theater in five years. Its laughable theme, terribly obvious revealing of key plot elements, lack of suspense, absurd villains, and even more ridiculous hero make this film virtually unwatchable.

I hated it. It was embarrassing to find myself walking out of the theater.
Old 02-17-00, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Patman - Armageddon, The Matrix, American Pie, Big Daddy these were popcorn movies - big, dumb and crass but entertaining. I don’t think you should have to go into a movie theater with low expectations in order to enjoy any flick. They should all succeed on some level otherwise they’re just bad. I took a friend with me to see Double Jeopardy and I apologised to her afterward for inflicting it on her as I had no idea it would be awful and I ended up buying her dinner to make up for it and still felt guilty.

However in the end that’s just my opinion (and hers too!) so I guess that’s all she wrote!

ps fantasia - rent them first, you’ll thank me.

More human, than Human

[This message has been edited by jonathan.e (edited February 17, 2000).]
Old 02-17-00, 02:31 PM

I have not seen Double Jeopardy, but I have seen The Bone Collector, and let me just say this: don't waste your time or money. This movie was billed as the next "Silence of the Lambs" or "Seven", and it falls way way short of both. The storyline is utterly ridiculous and unrealistic, and there is no real suspenseful parts in the film. In fact, the ending, which is supposed to be this big nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat finale, is more funny than anything else, just because of the sheer absurdity of it all.
Old 02-17-00, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with lordshadow on this one. Bone collector wasnt the worst movie I saw last year, but its on my top 10 worst list. It was unengaging & sometimes silly. Even if you like it, I imagine you wouldn't like it enough to own.

Old 02-17-00, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

I haven't seen Double Jeopardy, but I did see the Bone Collector and liked it well enough. I didn't go into the theatre expecting an Academy Award winner, but I was entertained by the unusual aspects of the film, of which there were many. Fantasia did indicate that a "popcorn" movie was good enough, and this fits the bill nicely as far as I am concerned. I don't know that I will buy it, since I'm not sure I will like it now knowing the killer, but it is definitely worth renting.
Old 02-17-00, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
jonathan.e: There's no accounting for taste. If these films bother you that much, definitely wait for the reviews for come out before taking anyone to see them.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 02-17-00, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Patman they were preview screenings so no reviews. It’s not so much that they bother me I’d just hate to think anybody would burn $30-$40 on these and then regret it afterward.

And as the other two reviews before mine had been positive I felt I would be remiss in not adding my opinion into the mix which doesn’t seem that far off the mark judging by some of the other replies.

But, everything’s subjective so what do I know?

More human, than Human
Old 02-19-00, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I have already pre-ordered both DVDs without having seen them in the theater. However, I'm a big "popcorn" movie junkie and I love the suspense genre, so I should enjoy both films.

. . . give it up to the lead actresses of both films . . . YUMMY!!!