Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Review: Notting Hill

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-99, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to take an early look at Universal's "Notting Hill" special edition this afternoon and found it to be a really enjoyable disc, not to mention I thought it was one of the year's best films. There aren't quite as many extras as some of Universal's other Collector's Editions, but I found what the disc did have to be really quite fun- a very interesting commentary along with a very funny little documentary where Hugh Grant takes us behind-the-scenes of some of the funnier parts of the production. If you would like to read my full review, follow the link below.

DVD Review: Notting Hill

[This message has been edited by DVDRules1 (edited 11-05-1999).]
Old 11-24-99, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched this last night and really enjoyed
it.
It's a feel good movie and isn't your standard
seen-it-before romance.

There are alot of extras here including
some good deleted scenes, Hugh Grants movie
tips, some trailers of new movies and of
Notting Hill, a commentary and more. If you
haven't bought or seen this one, give it a
rent...you'll be glad you did.

Jason
Old 11-26-99, 07:50 AM

Excellent review by DVDRules1 on one of my favorite movie for the year.

So put me in the "will watch, again" category for this movie (3 times so far, including the audiocommentary). I'm a sucker for a Julia Roberts movie (especially Pretty Woman, My Best Friend's Wedding, The Pelican Brief, Conspiracy Theory and yes I've pre-ordered Runaway Bride) and I thought she and Hugh Grant did a great job in this movie. This was my first movie with Hugh Grant that I've seen, so I guess I'll be checking some of his others. I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them paired up again also. The other actors in the movie was good, especially the character of Spike (Rhys Ilfans). My only complaint, as DVDRules1 said, was the soundtrack and the selection of some of the songs in it.

I liked the story that was written by Richard Curtis, so much that I'm going to order or rent 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' (another Hugh Grant movie).
Old 11-27-99, 06:41 AM

Thank you for your kind comments.

If you would like to read more of my reviews, visit my website here:

A Guide To Current DVD
Old 11-27-99, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant are also both in Extreme Measures, a very good medical thriller. Grant is the main character, Roberts has a smaller role. Gene Hackman is very good in the film.
Old 11-27-99, 05:23 PM

I've seen it seven times since it arrived! For my review click on the link below
http://www.epinions.com/mvie-review-...7-38380189-bd3

------------------
"Would you like to see me take him, mrs. Charles?"

My Collection

Old 11-29-99, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
i rented this movie last night. hugh grant is basically the same character from Four Weddings & a funeral but that is not a bad thing. he plays that character so well that you dont mind it. julia roberts is pretty shallow as normal. the supporting cast is excellent & Spike is very humorous. the movie moves a little too slow but the writing is good. extras were really nice but only watch the commentary if you are fascinated with the movie. all in all, rent it before you buy. *** out of five.
Old 12-03-99, 07:58 PM

The thing that surprised me was just how darn funny some of the deleted scenes were. I mean usually when a DVD has deleted scenes, you immediately know why they are "deleted" scenes. They aren't very funny or they wouldn't have worked well in the film. But I think they should have left most of these deleted scenes in the original cut for Notting Hill. They would have made this great movie even better.

Very cool extra...
Old 12-05-99, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally was able to put aside a couple of hours and watch this Collector's Edition DVD from Universal . . . what a great movie!!! I think my wife and I had a smile throughout the entire film.

Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts had great chemistry for the film. It's hard not to enjoy a Julia Robert's picture . . . her smile just brightens up the whole room. I also pre-ordered "Runaway Bride" and can't wait for it's arrival!!!

Once again, Universal provides an excellent DVD transfer with good extras. Due to the type of film, the sound wasn't anything to brag about, but it is a decent DD 5.1. If you haven't seen "Notting Hill" and you're in the mood for a good romantic comedy, pick this one up.
Old 02-13-00, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw this movie last night and have to say I think I'm one of the only that liked Runaway Bride better. Now I did find it very entertaining and I saw it on LD so I didn't get to check out the extras, just for me I laughed more during RB. Notting Hill tended to have the laugh out loud stuff during the roomate scenes. I guess I just didn't get why this world-famous actress would become so instantly smitten by this bookshop guy that she would head over to a complete strangers house to change her clothes. The latter part was good and I liked the ending but I just didn't see what got her going initially. (how he handled the shoplifter?) I will probably pick up the DVD when another deal comes along to check it out again and see the extras but I personally laughed more with Runaway Bride even though it was even less likely that someone would do that 4 times.

------------------
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list
Boy, I remember the first time I got shot out of a cannon.
Old 02-13-00, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

grrrrrrrreat movie

------------------
[URL=http://dvdtracker.com/~KennyBoy]My DVD List!!![/URL
Old 02-13-00, 11:26 PM

Hugh Grant is in Extreme Measures, but Julia Roberts is not. I believe you are thinking of Sarah Jessica Parker who had small role in this movie.
Old 02-13-00, 11:40 PM
Cool New Member

I agree with you Tone...the deleted scenes are actually funnier than most of the actual movie (although the video and sound quality are very poor).

My girlfriend was the one that ordered this movie, and as it turns out, I liked it more than she did :-)
Old 02-15-00, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

personally i didnt like the movie.. thought it was rather slow and boring... i didnt like it how they hooked up in the end either cause she was such a bitch. maybe hit close to home the girl i saw it with didnt like the film either... not to say you wont tho...

------------------
[email protected]
-aol IM: moorehed
Old 02-15-00, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

also... whenever i see a movie with H. Grant in it.. all i can think of is him with the hooker... hehe

------------------
[email protected]
-aol IM: moorehed