Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

astronauts wife---anyone see????

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

astronauts wife---anyone see????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-00, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking to buy somthing????anyone see this flick in the movies,thanks tommy
Old 02-05-00, 11:09 AM
reliquary

Haven't seen but since it has Charlize Theron I was quick to pre-order it!
Old 02-07-00, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um. Saw the movie last night and I thought it was quite boring and slow. The story is a bit hard to follow, and they never quite explain everything at the end (if you're still awake when it gets there). All in all, I'd say either rent or avoid, but don't buy...

Old 02-07-00, 05:58 PM
classícman

I walked out of the movie early. That's a good indication of how I feel about this movie.

------------------
I wish my horse could do that!
Old 02-07-00, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

thanks,looks like i`ll skip it,ts
Old 02-09-00, 07:24 PM
Cool New Member

This movie is probably the worse I saw last year. I work weekends at a theatre and we sometimes have late night viewing parties where we bring beer. Even with a buzz...it was horrible. The reviews posted so far are very accurate.....it is very slow, boring, and the dialogue is awful.
Old 02-10-00, 10:00 AM

I share the same sentiment. The movie was dragging and when you see the ending, you'll realize it was a waste of time and money.
Old 02-10-00, 12:44 PM

I just finished reviewing the DVD and I'll say this: I don't often hate movies, but I really hated this one. Incredibly dull throughout up until a silly, lame ending.

The DVD quality is the usual fine New Line effort though, and you can see my review here.

Old 02-11-00, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*Possible SPOILERS*

I beg to differ. IMO this movie although somewhat flawed is not nearly as bad as many make it out to be. I think to some extent it is misunderstood and that the movie just does not deliver what everyone is expecting it to.

However it does deliver in a different way. If you can enjoy it for the creepy atmosphere, tension, excellent photography and Charlize Theron's arguably good performance, then you may like it. If you are expecting non-stop action this isn't going to do it.

The dialog IS somewhat ordinary and plain - but I was of the opinion that this is intentional so that the movie seems more grounded in the ordinary everyday life. I've heard complaints about Johnny Depp's performance being wooden but here again there is a purpose to why he is acting the way he is. The ending is the most reviled aspect of the movie and here too I have to say I didn't find it all that bad. Was it worse than the ending of Contact? No one complains about that and yet it was underwhelming also. Does every movie about alien invasion have to have a the humans kicking the aliens' ass at the end?

All I'm saying is if you're at all interested in this picture you may want to give it a chance; I was expecting it to be lamer than it was and I was pleasantly surprised that it does have some things to offer. One more thing, I'm watching it on a 60" progressive TV and 5.1 sound system, so that could be bumping my rating up a small bit too as the DVD is technically excellent. I'm not sure but it could suffer on a very small screen. I'd say three out of five stars for the overall package.