Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Cruel Intentions-Is it worth it?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Cruel Intentions-Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-00, 01:51 PM
onslaught

Is this movie worth using a coupon on? I can get it from reel for 10.94.
Old 01-14-00, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's in my collection. It is a very cynical and amusing take on the classic story. You have to like the "teen" movie though, or you might find the film annoying. Sarah Michelle Gellar is such a babe though, and she makes out with another girl; which is priceless and should be in every man's collection.

The commentary is a little boring, but there are a few interesting deleted scenes.

If you can get if for that cheap, buy it!!!!
Old 01-14-00, 04:35 PM

Cruel Intention is not worth 10.94, in my opinion.

The acting is mediocre to very very bad all around. Phillippe's imitation of John Malkovich's Valmont is laughable, it's so ridiculous. The "adapted" storyline doesn't work, either. The characters are one-dimensioned and their wanderings pointless. In my opinion, this movie stinks.

On the positive side, to be fair, the movie is glossy and pretty to look at and the disc includes quite a bit of extras such as deleted scenes and interviews. However, its commentary is--from what I can recall--even worse than the movie! I'm being less than objective, I know, but it was more or less just a heap of absurd praises.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-00, 05:49 PM

The movie itself is just plain bad, but the extras make it worth getting at a good price.

There are two pretty good music videos and the deleted scenes are not bad.

I really liked the music within the movie also. Good soundtrack and it sounds very good in 5.1 sound.
Old 01-14-00, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What are the deleted scenes all about?
Old 01-14-00, 06:31 PM
reliquary

Thumbs down for this movie.
Old 01-14-00, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually thought it was ok, but nothing I would buy or want to see again.

Old 01-14-00, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great DVD, incredibly bad movie. The writing and especially acting were downright horrible.

--Heather
Old 01-15-00, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I will run to this movie's defense. I thought that it was very good, with 2 mega-babes - Reese Witherspoon (looking more like Jenny McCarthy in this picture) and Sarah Michelle Gellar. I thought the picture kept moving along nicely, looked GREAT, and yes had lots of extras which included a director's commentary with 2-3 of the other creative production team also chatting it up. I liked the commenatary quite a bit, especially where they had to specifically point out the saliva string that appeared after the kiss between SMG and another female character (don't know her name off the top of my head). I say buy it! You know that you can always Ebay it and most likely get your purchase price back.
Old 01-15-00, 08:04 AM

I really like Dangerous Liaisons, and I thought Cruel Intentions was a pretty pale attempt. To be fair, Cruel Intentions is set in modern times and the accompanying not so subtle storyline and dialog is probably what the 40 somethings in the marketting dept thought teenagers might like to see in a movie these days ;-)

Ok I have to admit the two girls did look good, but that kid trying to be John Malkovich was just awful. However, I did like the deleted scene where he teases the gay guy ;-)
Old 01-16-00, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is a pure popcorn movie, meant to be seen with groups of people, it's like playing the game, Scruples. It's definitely not a movie to watch alone (unless you dig that lesbo kiss between SMG and Selma Blain - which I did...heh). I did listen to the director's commentary, and he's right, for the money, it looks more expensive than what they spent on it (around $10 million).

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-16-00, 02:52 AM
Banned

i bought this one not expecting to like it, but I did. Its very titillating, but without nudity or sex scenes. You can't go wrong for ten bucks.
Old 01-16-00, 03:20 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As someone who never saw "Dangerous Liaisons," I liked this movie. I had no need, reason or basis to compare it to any other movie. On its own, the movie is good, and the commentary makes for nice listening, as well.

I guess if you think that Ryan Phillippe is trying to be John Malkovich, of course you would hate this. I had no reason to have such thoughts, and I enjoyed Phillippe's intentionally absurd performance, as well as his interplay with Gellar.

FWIW.
Old 01-16-00, 11:01 AM
onslaught

Thanks alot guys. It looks like I'll buy it.
Old 01-19-00, 08:27 PM

That movie is such a tease....
Spoiler below
But it is great when that Ryan guy gets hit by the car!