Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Dark City

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-00, 08:59 PM
HSC
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looked a bit interesting, and I've heard good things about the DVD. Can anybody tell me a bit about it?
Thanks
Old 01-06-00, 10:37 PM

The best of the recent glut of the "'real' world is all a devious illusion" films (eXistenZ, 13th Floor, Matrix).
Old 01-06-00, 10:45 PM
alanbenson

It's not an action film. Not a fast-paced thrill ride, like The Matrix, but that's one of the films it's most often compared to. I love it! Great atmospherics and visuals. As in the Matrix, reality is not what it seems, and I can't go far AT ALL into the plot without giving away major spoilers...

An amnesiac wakes up in his bathtub, and discovers a dead hooker with him in his room. He discovers he's married. There's a police investigator tailing him. And then there's one of those phone calls, like in Matrix, saying that there are those odd people after you--right now, right outside your door...

Old 01-06-00, 11:03 PM

Great film, more stylish neo-noir thriller than frenetic action sequences. Great transfer, dual sided, anamorphic. Great commentary by Roger Ebert where he actually talks about camerawork and film theory, rather than tangential anecdotes. Only let down was the reward for completing the Shell Beach Game.
Old 01-07-00, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Roger Ebert voted this film as the best of 1998 . . . 'nuff said!!!

. . . great movie and an even better DVD!!!
Old 01-07-00, 01:54 AM

I found it slow and boring. But that's just me.
Old 01-07-00, 09:44 AM

Very good movie, although I had low expectations. If you like movies such as The Matrix, give it a try. It's also part of New Line's Platinum series, which is always a good sign.
Old 01-07-00, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say its one of the better Sci-Fi films out there. I recommend it.

Old 01-07-00, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best sci-fi film of the 90's, along with Gilliam's 12 Monkeys. I've seen Dark City 5 times already, and will certainly watch it again. Great film, great dvd.

[This message has been edited by The Zizz (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old 01-07-00, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was the first dvd I ever bought and I can't recommend it enough. Still after 92 dvds, this is one of the best quality dvds in my collection and it is an excellent film too. I wouldn't say it was the best film of 1998 but it is certainly up there
Old 01-07-00, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was my first DVD also.

If you are interested in this movie at all (obviously you are, or you wouldn't be asking), then you will not be disappointed by the movie, or the DVD!

Go for it dude!!!
Old 01-08-00, 01:19 AM

Dark City was one of me first DVDs also. I greatly enjoyed the movie. It has a nice mix between a '30s detective movie and a sci-fi film. That's a dark moody film with a good use of light and shadow. I agree it was not a fast paced movie but it holds your interest all the way through.
Greg
Old 01-08-00, 02:17 AM
HSC
Cool New Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody who posted here, you've been a great help! I placed the order for it and can't wait to see it. Thanks again all!
Old 01-08-00, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
"First came darknest....then came the strangers...they were a race as old, as time itself."

<small>Honestly..this is the one of the hottest intros that I have ever seen.</small>
Old 01-08-00, 06:35 PM

I went into this one not knowing anything zbout it other than Roger Ebert was a huge fan of it. Enough so that he did a commentary track for it. It was well worth the money I paid for it. It's imaginative and well made.

JoeC...and the commentary is insightful. Roger Ebert should do more. (I'd love to see a Pulp Fiction commentary track by him)
Old 01-08-00, 07:16 PM

Dark CITY is one my favorite film of all time. You follow the main character along for a great thrill ride. Contrary to what people said, this film is VERY fast pace. I can't recall a single slow moment that was insignificant in the movie. This movie also has high replay value because you pick up more details as you watch this film again. I hate Sci-Fi movies, but as a non-Sci Fi can, still enjoyed it greatly! The Matrix does have a lot more action but the special effects, and on the DVD, the sound is awesome with DD5.1. The visuals is top notch and of course, it's one of the most intriguing story line ever!
The DVD also has lots of special features including commentary by Roger Ebert.

A MUST HAVE!!! get it!
Old 01-09-00, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished watching it again tonight and it was even better the second time!!! This is a great DVD from New Line . . . it's DA BOMB!!! If you don't have this in your collection, go buy it now!!!
Old 01-09-00, 06:12 PM

I will first say that I love this film because it has great atmosphere and visuals and is extremely intruiging.

One thing that I find to be very interesting is that Roger Ebert originally said that he believed that this film would become a cult classic, on the lines of Bladerunner. Both Bladerunner and Dark City didn't do too well at the Box office, but they have slowly found their much deserved appreciation on video and dvd.

For the person that wished to know about the dvd.. it is packed with great material, like 2 commentaries as well as production drawings... its a great disk.. oh yeah.. and you can watch it dubbed in French!
Old 01-10-00, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,120 Likes on 684 Posts
did anyone else think (like i did) that the trailer for this movie kicked the actual movie's ass. just wondering.
Old 01-11-00, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do have to admit I hated Keifer Sutherlands accent in this movie, though I heard that was how the character was written, and he actually did a good job with the interpretation.

Your comments?
Old 01-11-00, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

brianluvdvd: no, I didn't think the trailer kicked the film's a$$ as I think the film is great....BUT...the trailer is very good too especially the music and how well it is integrated w/ clips of the film. It blew me away the first time I saw it on the big screen. I fell in love instantly!
Old 01-12-00, 01:06 PM

I think that the trailer to the film did a very good job of maintaining the feel of the movie. It didn't try to present the film as an action film or a murder mystery. Instead, the trailer created an intriguing mood that was carried throughout the film. If there were a rating for it, I would give the trailer an "A."
Old 09-15-02, 01:59 AM

Opinions and Reviews of DARK CITY

Hey guys, I was just wanting to know what you thought about the movie Dark City. Everytime I go to a video store I pick it up and look at it trying to decide if I want to buy it but I keep putting it back. I remember watching it a few years ago at the theatre but the a/c in the building was on too high and I was freezing to much to concentrate on the story. I just remember the cool looking nosferatu looking guys and the special fx shots with the buildings growing. I read on the back that they have a couple of commentarys on the dvd. One with Roger Ebert and one with the director. So is it worth the money or should I just rent it? Also give me an opinion of what you think the story is about?
Old 09-15-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...haven't seen it in a couple of years (...so many movies, so little time... to quote someone or other)... but remember I liked this movie very, very much... the DVD is splendid ( see review ) so I suggest you stop procrastinating and buy it before it goes oop...

. . . . . .
Old 09-15-02, 03:32 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Opinions and Reviews of DARK CITY

Originally posted by gobot965
Hey guys, I was just wanting to know what you thought about the movie Dark City. Everytime I go to a video store I pick it up and look at it trying to decide if I want to buy it but I keep putting it back. I remember watching it a few years ago at the theatre but the a/c in the building was on too high and I was freezing to much to concentrate on the story. I just remember the cool looking nosferatu looking guys and the special fx shots with the buildings growing. I read on the back that they have a couple of commentarys on the dvd. One with Roger Ebert and one with the director. So is it worth the money or should I just rent it? Also give me an opinion of what you think the story is about?
FYI, I merged your thread with an existing one, so you might want to read through some of these past comments.

I last watched this about a year ago, and I enjoyed this movie. I like the look and mood, and it has a nice "noirish" feel to it.

The Roger Ebert commentary is one of two that he's done now (the other being Citizen Kane) and they are widely considered some of the best out there. The rest of the features are decent, but seem a little light compared to other special editions. But this is an early title, and that Roger Ebert commentary is quite an impressive part of it. I recommend buying.

-David

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.