Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What did you think of eXistenZ???

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

What did you think of eXistenZ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-99, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I getting old. I'm not a video gamer, my kids are so I see how engrossed they get in to them. The most bothersome part to me was how much I could believe this game system, the final one not the "live" one, could be real. All togather I really liked the movie, it kept me guessing as to which game they were in at any given moment. There were some things I would liked to have seen protrayed differently. What did you all think?? What would you have liked to have changed?? What did you like about the film??
Greg
Old 12-22-99, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I saw this film with about 5 other people and they all hated it. Well I think one of them actually liked, but the other 4 were so vocal in their disgust that he just kept quiet. Maybe because the film didn't have the flash-bang of say the Matrix? Yet I enjoyed the film, its not a great movie in my book, but I enjoyed how they keep you guessing throughout the movie. A lot of times I was confused about certain things, and slowly stuff would unfold. I enjoyed trying to figure it out and in the end I really wouldn't change much

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 12-22-99, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I pretty much agree with Jericho's assesment. I was entertained pretty well by this movie but it's no classic. Could have been better. I hated the organic game pods and the holes in everyone's spines. Also hated that organic gun that shoots teeth WTF? This kind of typical Cronenburg imagery does zilch for me. I guess I don't get it.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is a big plus for me. I think I'm in love even if she wasn't too glamorous in this movie.
Old 12-22-99, 01:30 PM

I know what you mean about the gun being abit much, the same could be said about the factory. I've found like Jericho that there is no middle ground with this film, people either liked it or hated it. I liked it mainly because you never knew what was going to happen next. I also agree with Wolfchild that those bio game pods were creepy. The whole underlying theme I got was a fight against the imersion type games in the movie. With the tests (both in & out of the game) being done in secret, the waring between game companies, and the purists wishing to stop the whole thing. This could have been a snapshot of the future of gaming and bigger than drugs a mind numbing past time, all we need is a brain interface device. The movie makes you think.
Greg
Old 12-23-99, 03:51 AM

One of my favorite movies of the year, and one of the best. I can't wait for the Canadian version to show up so I can hear Cronenberg's commentary.

What I like about this movie is that it's working on so many levels. If you're just watching it for the plot, you're missing so much ... greg picks up on one of many of the undercurrent plots of this movie.

There's also a lot of brilliant details that you might not pick up on on a first watch; for instance, the shirts in the crowd scenes at the start are rendered in solid colors because typically they're easier to render in computer games than patterns.

Still, though, it's a Cronenberg movie, and there's a lot of otherwise reasonable and intelligent people who can't stand 'em. I know the acting style (which is dead-on intentional - think about the level of depth most computer game characters have) alienated many, as did all the gooey junk, and the lack of showy, nonsensical effects and fast editing. (Sorry - getting a little bit grumpy ...)

Wolfchild - the deal with the gun was that it was the only way they could get a weapon into the gaming conference past the metal detectors. I think its recurrence is due to its appearance influencing the subsequent game.
Old 12-23-99, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I'm at a point in my life that I'm not overwhelmed by "box within a box within a box ..." type of movies, and eXistenz was no exception. But there are lots of brilliant touches to this film that every Cronenburg fan should be pleased. It's a tough movie to watch, and yet, it is an indictment on video games, it gets down and dirty with what is really depicted in many violent video games, and that should be troubling, and it is shown to be troubling.

(edited stupid typo omission)
------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs

[This message has been edited by Patman (edited 12-24-1999).]
Old 12-24-99, 04:30 PM
Cool New Member

I thought this Movie was damn Funny! If u didn't break into hysterical laughter when the guy said "spores! Deadly Spores!" something's wrong with you. Too bad the ending was weak and predictable.
Old 12-24-99, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Thor:

Wolfchild - the deal with the gun was that it was the only way they could get a weapon into the gaming conference past the metal detectors. I think its recurrence is due to its appearance influencing the subsequent game.
<HR>

They could have used a Glock too though, couldn't they? That would almost fit into the world of gaming better than that weirdass gun. I'm just making a personal observation though, I DID enjoy this movie. Just saying IMO some of the gooey stuff as you say does not add any dimension in itself; I could see how it could even cheapen the whole movie in the eyes of some people, hhhmmm maybe even me.

As far as this not being a mindless special-effects blockbuster like The Haunting, that's a big plus of this movie for me. It WAS fairly engrossing and does make you think. It's a pretty solid movie, I just thought it could have been better.

Old 12-24-99, 09:59 PM

Yeah the organic gun was wierd and what propellant was used to fire the teeth? But hey it's a movie we shouldn't expect logic. As for a Glock it has composit parts but it still has a steel frame, so it won't get past a metal detector. The point of the organic gun is theme of the film being anti-technology. It's interesting that in the end in the "real world" they have guns hidden on the dog, I guess they didn't scan the dog.
Greg
Old 12-27-99, 01:48 PM

I think eXistenZ is an interesting idea that failed to come across well on film. I also am not amused by video game crap in movies.

------------------
Go Colts!
Old 12-28-99, 01:37 PM

I for one think that this is the first movie to take video games and virtual reality and make it into a realistic movie. Yes, the stuff was weird but it had me guessing till the end. The acting was good and the concept of the really organic looking weapons and stuff was another great creation by the master of weird horror movies.
Old 12-29-99, 05:14 PM

I'll buy it. That's a great disc, though lacking in features if you have the US version.
Old 12-30-99, 11:40 PM

I just watched the Canadian edition of eXistenZ and loved it. I thought the movie was very, very good--intriguing story (and a really unexpected twist at the ending) and great acting, especially by Jude Law.

The 90-minute documentary on production designer Carol Spier is excellent as is David Cronenberg's commentary. In fact, it's one of the best director's commentaries I've heard--lots of information and insight into the creative process with very little fluff. I haven't listened to the other 2 commentary tracks yet.

All in all, a very good special edition! Too bad you can only get it in Canada where DVD prices are nowhere near as low as they are in the U.S.
Old 01-01-00, 02:55 PM

I was troubled by this film, which I'm sure is the intended result of most Cronenburg films. The gun and the game attachment was unnecessarily...icky?, but it was adept at keeping me off-guard and guessing how it would end. That's pretty rare if you watch many movies.

Overall, unless I can get the Can version for a good price, I'll watch The Matrix again.
Old 01-03-00, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you haven't seen this movie, and are considering buying it, it seems the most important question to answer is: "Did I like Videodrome?", because it follows that movie closely style-wise. Most action fans nowdays consider it too slow-moving and not enough effects, but I for one was glad to see Cronenberg return to this (relatively) more concrete storyline than say "Naked Lunch". I could not believe Cronenberg sidestepped the obvious and usual Cronenberg trappings by not having the characters have sex in the game! I bought the Canadian version, and the Spier feature was facinating. Now if only we could have Dead Zone with commentary.
Old 01-04-00, 04:25 PM

Yep, Kunert hits it right on the head with the comparison to <cite>Videodrome</cite>. In fact, if the whole organic gun thing looks familiar or the revolution\double cross plotline gives you a feeling of 'deja-vu', it's because much of this film is a rework of plot elements from Videodrome.

Of course, instead of seeing things going into James Woods' chest now they're sticking things in the other end.

Roy

[This message has been edited by royb (edited January 04, 2000).]
Old 01-04-00, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen Videodrome or Existenz but I'll definitely check out the latter since the Alliance edition is so good. I'm not a big Cronenburg fan, but I haven't seen too many of his movies either...the only ones I can remember right now are The Fly and Scanners. The Fly was ok I guess but I didn't care for Scanners even though I love horror/paranormal movies.
Old 01-05-00, 11:00 PM

Kunert, I had forgotten Videodrome. I haven't seen the film in years but it made a real impression on me. Debbie Harry was an interesting choice for the movie and played a kink like a natural. Naked Lunch was pretty twisted and was tougher to keep track of. I have to agree that Videodrome is a good parallel to eXistenZ.
Greg