Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Haunting Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-99, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're looking for an incredible home theater experience, be sure not to miss The Haunting! Directed by Jean du Bont the creative force behind Speed and Twister this is the ultimate haunted house roller coaster. Sure the story is a bit thin, but great effects and AMAZING sound make The Haunting one to check out! Read our Complete Review

Geoff
Old 12-23-99, 05:13 PM

I agree, I really liked the Haunting on DVD. The sound track added alot to make the movie all the more spooky. The story was pretty standard and could have stood to be alittle nastier, more blood and guts. The special effects were great and made the movie. I recommend the DVD as a good late night film.
Greg
Old 12-23-99, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, i think in many ways the special effects ruined the movie, some of them just looked goofy -- not scary.

The movie was pretty good until 30 mins to the end. What a horrible ending. The ending alone made this one of the worst movies I've seen in awhile -- and I thought the first half was pretty good - so thats how much I hated the 2nd half.

Old 12-23-99, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Geoff, I have so far seen the movie on dvd 3 times! I love the experience. The sound amazing! I love the scenery from beginning to end. Great job Dreamworks. A great disc to show off your audio gear and video display! I love this movie!
Old 12-23-99, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll offer a differing opinion here.

Maybe the sound is great. Maybe the special effects look cool (though I'd agree with DodgingCars that the special effects often just looked goofy....especially the stained glass windows that turn into a pair of bloodshot eyes). But do the sound and effects make it worth watching a movie so unbelievably awful????

I'd compare this to a live action episode of "Scooby Doo"...except that Scooby Doo had stronger scripts, better performances, and more interesting characters.

I must admit here that I'm a big fan of the 1963 version of "The Haunting", so that makes this awful mess even more horrid in my eyes. While the 1963 version earned its chills by not showing you the evil in the house, this movie fails because it insists on showing you everything...no matter how pointless or goofy looking it is. While the 1963 version works because of what it doesn't show you, the 1999 version is about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the side of the head....and almost as enjoyable.

This movie was a waste of some talented actors (especially Liam Neeson who comes off more wooden than those "spooky" carving of children's faces that are all over the house). It was also a waste of money, especially alarming considering that I got this as a free rental.

This is the worst movie I've seen this year...and I had to sit through the latest Adam Sandler film....twice!

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 12-23-99, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Preach on Brother!
I don't know what possessed me to get this movie. But man, what a mess. The actors, all of them, were doing such a poor job. I think the only good one was Bruce Dern!

The house did look pretty nice, but that's it. I was getting so sick of "The Children...." but I thought Liam would save the movie even a little. Sadly, he didn't...did he even really act?
This is one of the movies that I will be trying to trade. Dreamworks really has some hit or misses in the movie department. I hope they do better.

Neitzl

------------------
My DVD List

Old 12-24-99, 04:52 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I watched it last nite and whilst i agree it could have been way way better, i thought it was decent enough entertainment and that's really all i ask for. Catherine zeta jones was under used but Lili taylor was pretty good. anyone could have played Liam neeson's role ! it did need to be a bit more vicious and scarier and i agree the ending wasn't crash hot
Old 12-24-99, 12:27 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
As a wise man once said, you can't polish a turd. For everyone who said, "Jan De Bont couldn't possibly make a worse movie than SPEED 2", boy, where they way wrong! I'd rather have my eyes picked from their sockets by rabid vultures than ever allow this piece of tripe to sit in my DVD collection.

www.dvdtracker.com/~filmmaker
www.laserdisctracker.com/~filmmaker.asp
Old 12-24-99, 01:07 PM

Where can I get some of the stuff the reviewer was on? Haunting sucks. See above for reasons.

------------------
"The power of Christ compels you!" - The Exorcist
Old 12-24-99, 02:07 PM

While I appreciated the effects that was about all this movie had going for it. From the acting to the plot development, it all had great potential but just didn't follow through.

I think the "Scooby Doo" comment summmed it up nicely.

Glad I only used a free Netflix rental on this one.
Old 12-24-99, 02:53 PM
Registered

I love all your comments on the Haunting Review, that's why I tied the review to this thread so everyone can share their thoughts. I think the thing that really impressed me about this film was the sound design, maybe for many of you it wasn't enough to get past weak characters and a nominal story, but I had fun

This is also why at DVD Talk we have more than 1 person reviewing DVD's so we get a wide perspective of views

Geoff
Old 12-27-99, 09:20 AM

In addition to poor acting and a stupid script. The Haunting was one of the worst, most boring movies I've ever seen. The scare factor was about a 1. And Liam Nisan. What a waste of talent. The only redeeming part of the movie for me was the anticipation of Zeta-Jones getting naked. Damn!
Old 12-27-99, 12:53 PM
GetShorty

I have a home made Dolby EX Surround Sound system and the sound was AMAZING. The panning that is capable is astonishing, and the soundtrack is excellent and very aggressice. The visuals are good, but on my 27'' TV nothing really takes me aback. The movie is not nearly as bad as many people say, but is is still not that good. I would give the movie 2 stars out of 4. It was OK and I am glad I rented it, if not for any other reason to test my EX sound. BTW House on Haunted Hill is much worse, that absolute worst movie of the year. No stars, a complete piece of trash.
Old 12-27-99, 01:32 PM

Gamblor187:

I like the '99 version far better than the original which I found to be unbearably boring. It's not the best of movies but entertaining none the less.

------------------
Go Colts!
Old 12-27-99, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll agree that "The Haunting" (1999) looks and sounds great, but I much prefer the original. Though not one of the best films of the 60s, it does have writing, directing and acting (especially acting) that is by far superior to the remake. It captured and properly presented the essence of the Shirley Jackson novel it is based upon. The remake is just one huge mess.

--Heather

[This message has been edited by DVDer (edited 12-27-1999).]
Old 12-27-99, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the haunting sight unseen. The special effects are incredible but the story is not even the least bit scary. I actually found the teaser trailer to be more frightening than the actual film. It's not the worst film I've seen this year...that would be Modern Vampires & Wild Wild Waste however, it's not close to being the best either. The visuals though are, absolutely worth the price of admission. It's not a great horor story, actually not even a meiocre horror tale. It's more like a good demo for CGI than anything else. So far I've watched it once, I'm sure I'll watch it again sometime. just not right away. I do think though it's wprth a look just for the effects.

------------------
Gojira

[This message has been edited by buckee1 (edited 12-27-1999).]
Old 12-27-99, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the original after seeing the remake. The original was 10 times better, but I still wasn't very fond of it. In the original there is naration done by the "crazy" woman (forgot the characters name) - which I just found annoying - It didn't work in this movie.

the end was far superior to the remakes.

Old 12-28-99, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also enjoyed watching "The Haunting" at the theaters and now in my home theater. The sound was definitely the best I've ever heard at the movies and now, it is reference quality here at home. Once again, Dreamworks has delivered the goods with another one of their big titles.

Since "The Haunting" wasn't made to please the critics and win the Oscar, you have to just pop in the disc and enjoy the thills, special effects, and the incredible sound!!!
Old 12-28-99, 01:32 PM

I honestly thought that this was one of the best PG/PG-13 horror movies ever. It is difficult for me to like a horror movie that is PG-13 but I liked this one. Great effects, great sound, and Zeta Jones is awesome.
Old 12-29-99, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
i must say that i liked this movie & thought the effects & sound were very good. my sub was definitely shaking the walls. liam was not very good but the showcase is the house & not the people in it. have not seen the original though.

[This message has been edited by brianluvdvd (edited 12-29-1999).]
Old 12-29-99, 05:13 PM

Besides the movie being embarrassingly bad, did anyone have complaints about the video quality? I didn't think it was on par with previous Dreamworks releases.
Old 12-29-99, 06:05 PM

To Gamblor
I totally agree.I will say howevwer that it exceeded my trash compactor factor and I hope the remakes of all the sixties horror films to come are as trashy as this.Own it if you love and praise junk or if you need that space filled where Jaws III-D belongs.
(sorry I keep mentioning J3D but I'd kill for a copy widescreened in 3D)

------------------
"We all have our faults superman,mine's in California"
Lex Luthor to Superman,1978.
[url=http://www.geocities.com/westhollywood/stonewall/4903]
Old 12-30-99, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm disappointed! I read this thread expecting to see one of Classicman's famous one-liners trashing this movie. Is it possible he liked it but doesn't want to admit it? (prod, prod...)

------------------
Stephen Ansley ---- Arlington, VA
>My home page< - >My DVD list<
=========================
Anamorphic Transfer Presentation (Shockwave needed)
DVDTalk post clubs
Old 01-04-00, 09:55 AM

I liked the plot of the movie but I feel that it was well overdone after the first half of it. I'd probably watch it again sometime down the road though... probably around next Halloween.

------------------
She will be mine... Oh Yes!!! She will be mine!
~ Felixx

Old 01-04-00, 12:40 PM
classícman

DarkElf,

Blip loved the movie.

I will simply say. Wild Wild West was a classic compared to this garbage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.