Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted:Shawshank or Zepplin/Song Remains the Same

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted:Shawshank or Zepplin/Song Remains the Same

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-99, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone comment on the transfers of either of these? Or, if you can find an analogy between the two of them, go right ahead. It's been a long wait for Shawshank Redemption while Led Zeppelin/The Song Remains the Same was a nice surpise when I saw it in the store...

[This message has been edited by Hannibal (edited 12-28-1999).]
Old 12-24-99, 12:23 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is spectacular. Deep, inky blacks alongside rich, sharp color. A very clean image, with superb sound to boot. Of course, this isn't an audio system workout kind of movie, but the music has great presence while dialogue is never garbled or muted. This transfer is so far above and beyond the Columbia/TriStar laserdisc pressing, it's incredible. Commentary track or no commentary track, Warner Bros. did this title right where it counts!

www.dvdtracker.com/~filmmaker
www.laserdisctracker.com/~filmmaker.asp
Old 12-24-99, 03:46 PM

I agree that Shawshank was a great transfer, but I have a question concerning it..wondering if it is the disc, or just me. At several points in the film, in particular scenes with sunlight coming through the bars, I saw streaks of light that bleed across the screen. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 12-26-99, 11:19 AM

Here is my short two cents about Shawshank.

Video: A+

Aideo: B-

The video is wounderfull, I thought I was watching it of my DSS.
The Aideo is slighty disapointing for a movie that was delayed two times(for what i dont know).

Overall : A-
Old 12-26-99, 11:43 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MarantzDVDFan, I actually work for DirecTV, and I'm puzzled by your statement that DSS looks better or equal to a well-mastered DVD. As good as DSS's picture is (light-years beyond cable), I've always thought DVD looks somewhat sharper, cleaner, and more consistent.
Old 12-28-99, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I received Led Zepplin:Song Remains the Same from Reel today and think they did a decent job on this one, especially for the 11.99 I paid for it. I forget what I paid for the LP soundtrack of this 20+ years ago but I would guess it was alot more. Actually seeing the movie made me go see them in 1977 or 1978, till this day, I would still say it is the worst live concert I have seen but I like the movie preformance just fine.
Old 12-29-99, 01:36 PM
Uber Member

I thought the picture looked fine.

It was a little grainy, but given the age and the fact that it was a concert film, it was actually pretty good.

The audio is pro logic only, but does a good job too.

The trailer is included and if you click on the Led Zeppelin menu under special features, it will list the names of the band members. I won't ruin the surprise by giving you their names here.

That's it for the special features. An audio commentary by Peter Grant or any of the surviving band members would have been fantastic. But given their dissatisfaction with the movie it's pretty unlikely that that would ever happen.

I have this on VHS and it's nice to see it in it's original aspect ratio, but I'd forgotten how many of those "acted out" scenes there were in this movie.

I had heard that there were a lot of problems both with the tour and with putting this movie together. Overall I thought it was an interesting idea, but what I really would have liked to have seen was one of their acoustical sets.

Wish I'd had a chance to see these guys in concert though. They had already disbanded by the time I discovered their music.

For the price, and if you're a fan of the movie, this is a no brainer.

------------------
-David
Other forum
Old 12-29-99, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Peter Grant is dead, so it probably would have been difficult to get a commentary from him. But I`m so happy this finally came out. It may be flawed, but it`s still a brilliant concert film. Even Zeppelin on a "less-than-great" night is a thousand times better than most others.
Old 12-29-99, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, this is the Led Zepplin conert I saw in 1977 or 1978, I think it was 1977. When I came in it looked like they were using the arena's own sound system. The sound was just plain awful so I guess they were, dont know for sure. The first 2 maybe 3 songs J. Page was moving around. After that he got a stool and sat down for most of the show, he didnt look to good from what I could see. So maybe a song or 2 more and I was watching R. Plant who is still on his feet and he keeps looking over J. Page who is sitting down so now R. Plant desides to get a stool and sit down, they would get up once in awhile. I would say the highlight of the show was J. Bonham's Moby Dick drum solo and the oncore was okay I think they did the Imigrant Song and Whole Lotta Love with lots of expolsions.

The local paper had an article on their 3-4 night appearance and said Page and Plant were not getting along to well at the time.

I like the DVD though.
Old 12-30-99, 07:46 PM
RB

This film is from a '73 NYC concert, not '77 (remember, in the film they introduce their "new" album Houses of the Holy). They didn't tour in '78. It took them years to release it, I think '76 is when this came to the theatres. I saw them in 4/77, and after McCartney in 6/76, it was my favorite all time concert. Even though virtually the whole movie is dubbed, it's still great to see (probably because there's not much else to choose from, videowise).