Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Virus

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-99, 02:58 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Is this movie worth the purchase on DVD?

May everyone have a very safe and happy holiday season.

Best Regards,
Don

------------------
The Stars Come Out
Vintage Movie Posters: 1940's - 1990's
We Buy and Sell Movie Posters
Email: [email protected]
http://www.starscomeout.com
Old 12-22-99, 03:18 PM
k-k-k-ken

I can't comment specifically on the DVD release, but I did see the movie. I remember not feeling altogether too cheated out of my 8 bucks, but I also had forgotten I'd seen it until you just asked. It had some cool effects, and the sci-fi story was not the worst, but it wasn't the best either. Most of the entertainment value of the movie was the kind you get from a campy horror flick, i.e. one or two jump out of your seat moments, and then laughing at the bad acting and implausible plot direction. Still, the half flesh half metal constructions in the movie were pretty cool, particularly if you like sci-fi or horror type stuff. Oh, and there was a lot of gunplay if I remember correctly.

Overall, while I found it better than most crap sci-fi out there, it's probably only worth a rental.

k-k-k-ken

P.S. thanks for reminding me that I used to be able to see stuff like this in the theater and now I cant even afford to go see American Beauty or Dogma. When they said I would have to make sacrifices in grad school, they never mentioned less movies.
Old 12-22-99, 04:35 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks k-k-k-ken for your help.
I was searching for DTS encoded movies and saw this one. I have not seen the movie myself and was hoping it would have been better.
It makes me wonder how they determine what movies they are going to release with the DTS encoding. It seems they would be more selective. There is not that many movies released with the DTS encoding and some of the titles I do see with it, like "Foe Richer or Poorer", and "The Flintstones", makes me wonder why they choose these, when there are so many good titles. It seems if they wanted this encoding to get a good foothold, then they would be releasing more titles like “Saving Private Ryan”.

Best Regards ,
Don

------------------
The Stars Come Out
Vintage Movie Posters: 1940's - 1990's
We Buy and Sell Movie Posters
Email: [email protected]
http://www.starscomeout.com
Old 12-22-99, 07:55 PM
k-k-k-ken

When an exciting (or hyped) new technology comes out it is a common ploy for companies to release their crap with that technology, and market it early to get the people who want to get a demonstration... I used to see it all the time in the computer game industry.

Old 12-22-99, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Virus was a bad movie.

The dvd was alright(sound,picture, and extras) but the horrible movie overshadowed the package.

IMHO
Old 12-23-99, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The movie seemed like a mix between Alien and The Thing to me, only 10 times worse.
Old 12-23-99, 11:59 AM

I totally agree with the last two people and wouldn't recommend anyone actually buying this DVD. It is a renter at best!
Old 12-24-99, 05:55 PM

It was the worst film I saw this year, I nearly walked out of the cinema. Actually, I saw The Phantom on TV yesterday - *that's* the worst film I've seen this year.

------------------
___
_/ames
Old 12-28-99, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The disc has a good transfer and sound, but the film is just terrible, one of the year's worst . . . 'nuff said!!!
Old 12-28-99, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I felt ashamed for Donald "Borg" Sutherland for appearing in this awful piece of trash. Definitely the low point in this actor's career. I believe every movie, no matter how bad it is, is at least worth a rental, but this movie makes me question my theory...

But the extras are good. The commentary (ugh, looking back, I can't believe I actually watched the commentary) actually had some insightful comments about the special effects work.

------------------
Stephen Ansley ---- Arlington, VA
>My home page< - >My DVD list<
=========================
Anamorphic Transfer Presentation (Shockwave needed)
DVDTalk post clubs
Old 12-28-99, 01:26 PM

Horrible movie with some good gory effects with robotics. That about covers it.
Old 12-28-99, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I attempted to watch Virus on DirecTV but I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes. I shut it off altogether.
Old 12-28-99, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
debbert -- Bad news and good news, depending on your perspective. Bad news: the movie got worse! Much worse!! Good news: you didn't have to sit through it!

Okay, so after we've torn this movie to bits, will anyone ever bother watching it?

------------------
Stephen Ansley ---- Arlington, VA
>My home page< - >My DVD list<
=========================
Anamorphic Transfer Presentation (Shockwave needed)
DVDTalk post clubs
Old 12-29-99, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DarkElf . . . I give you major props for your persistence . . . I can't believe you survived through not only the movie, but also the commentary!!!

I agree that this movie puts a major doubt into the theory that all movies are at least worth a rental. "Wing Commander" also questions the theory as well.